Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Heard a CG Alert about a possiblpe Mayday of Hinchinbrok Child's Voice

  1. #1

    Default Heard a CG Alert about a possiblpe Mayday of Hinchinbrok Child's Voice

    "Mayday, mayday we're sinking." Anyone here more of it? We were just tieing up the east dock in Whittier when I heard this.

  2. #2

    Default

    I was on duty yesterday. After reviewing the recordings of the call, it was determined that there was no "mayday" said. It sounded like kids were playing around in their parents boat.

  3. #3

    Default GOOD, little brats

    But dang glad to hear that it wasn't the real deal.

  4. #4
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Memorial day weekend same thing

    But the kids voice said something about requesting a call back. Other weekends we have heard kids playing and not listening to the coast guard in valdez, MSO. Apperently some adults don't watch their kids. All these kids are crying wolf basically. Now when a kids really needs help we will most likely not listen or be so fast to possibly respond.

  5. #5
    Mark
    Guest

    Default

    Somebody needs a paddling..........

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    But the kids voice said something about requesting a call back. Other weekends we have heard kids playing and not listening to the coast guard in valdez, MSO. Apperently some adults don't watch their kids. All these kids are crying wolf basically. Now when a kids really needs help we will most likely not listen or be so fast to possibly respond.
    I wouldn't worry about that. We have guidelines set in place to protect that from happening. All cases are handled the same. If there is a suspected distress, or even a hint of a possible distress, the gears start turning. Recordings are reviewed and a chain of people are notified. The Coast Guard, from what I've seen, is very committed to not making mistakes in search and rescue. This is especially true with kids. Being that a child will often not have the proper verbage, composure, or knowledge to pass the correct information during a stressful time like an emergency, we take special care to verify what we are hearing. Most of us have kids and most of us are recreational boaters. We treat those in distress as if it was our own family in the water.

    Spell checker doesn't work on this computer so no ball busting if something is messed up.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that. We have guidelines set in place to protect that from happening. All cases are handled the same. If there is a suspected distress, or even a hint of a possible distress, the gears start turning. Recordings are reviewed and a chain of people are notified. The Coast Guard, from what I've seen, is very committed to not making mistakes in search and rescue. This is especially true with kids. Being that a child will often not have the proper verbage, composure, or knowledge to pass the correct information during a stressful time like an emergency, we take special care to verify what we are hearing. Most of us have kids and most of us are recreational boaters. We treat those in distress as if it was our own family in the water.

    Spell checker doesn't work on this computer so no ball busting if something is messed up.
    It is good that the CG has established procedure for responding to distress calls but it still doesnt change the fact that kids should not be playing with the radio, the CG may be able to tell that there are kids playing on the radio but those kids may be walking over an actual distress call. Parents should explain to their kids that the radio is not a toy.

  8. #8

    Default

    We heard the repeated message about the "kid requesting a call back" from the CG sending out the "keep an eye out message for a vessel in distress". I wonder how much trouble the parents and kids would be in if the CG caught them crying wolf? Probably a boat load at least!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Cool you all did hear the call to bad it was not real. If i did here a child call for help I would respond no questions asked if I was close later I would let the card fall as they may if it was not true. Also if I did hear any call I figure I am close enough to hear I would put the craft in gear and render any help even if it ment drop all gear over and jet I would be there for any one of you just so you know maybe it mean nothing but to me I would do so.

    22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

  10. #10

    Default

    The AMHS FVF Chenega rescued a man and 2 children yesterday afternoon, just in time as one of the kids were hypothermic. No lifejackets!!.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anchorage unfortunately
    Posts
    43

    Default Ferry Rescue

    I ended up being the third boat on scene just as the ferry headed into dock with the people they rescued. We picked up a couple a gas cans and searched for the swamped boat. Ferry captain said all people were accounted for and we headed into the harbor after trolling the area for 15-20 min.

    Anyone know what kind of boat or what really happened??

    Hats off to the crew of the Chenega! Well executed rescue for a boat of that size.

    Kyle

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    We heard the repeated message about the "kid requesting a call back" from the CG sending out the "keep an eye out message for a vessel in distress". I wonder how much trouble the parents and kids would be in if the CG caught them crying wolf? Probably a boat load at least!
    From what I understand (not a lawyer nor been involved in any of these types of cases) the parents are basically billed the estimated costs for us launching assets. It is very very expensive. I think I would disown my kids rather than be stuck paying for their playtime.
    This should also be dependent on if the mistake was intentional. The one case I do know about involved kids purposely calling on the radio in order to get the CG to launch. This went on for weeks. Parents got the bill. From what I have gathered from asking around about the case this weekend is that it was unintentional and the parents were heard telling them to get off the radio. Don't think that would warrent the same response. Just guessing on that though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •