Thread: Isobutane shipment

Question Isobutane shipment

I am heading from Anchorage to Kotz for a drop hunt and would like to take my MSR pocket rocket with me as a supplement fuel source. I am running into a problem in getting the cartridges there. Looking for suggestions as the two stores that I called up there didn't have anything in stock that sounds like that. Please help

Default White gas!

Might have to buy a msr stove that uses white gas instead. I know that is pretty plentiful up there. I doubt Kotz would keep those in supply. You can get the whisperlite for around $60

Good lUck

Default Isobutane

Isobutane? Won't these things run on regular propane cylinder?

Thumbs up Jet Boil fuel

Just pick up a cannister or 2 of the Jet Boil fuel, it's a mix of isobutane and propane and should work fine in your stove. Wiggy's on Old Seward has them all day long.

Default Kotz?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Just pick up a cannister or 2 of the Jet Boil fuel, it's a mix of isobutane and propane and should work fine in your stove. Wiggy's on Old Seward has them all day long.
    and then get a hazmat permit to ship them to Kotz?

You'll probably have to go with something that burns white gas, unleaded or propane.

Go with white gas to be sure. You can pick that up in Kotz. Otherwise you have to try and sneak it on in your luggage if you are flying Alaska Airlines. But in this day and age, that rarely works anymore, and you end up having to scramble to find a stove in Kotz.

If you have time to ship it cargo through Alaska Air, that sometimes works, but the package will have to wait for a cargo-only flight, ie. it's not going on the milk run plane.

I ran into this same problem for a hunt up there that just came together. Talking with the pilot who'll be flying us out, he said there's nobody in Kotz that carries those fuel canisters. Bummer because I planned on using my JetBoil. He suggested a white fuel or multi-fuel stove...so I'm taking my dad's Peak 1 stove now. Shipping $15 worth of the canisters would end up costing you $85 on AK Air (min freight charge of $35 + $50 hazmat fee)! I don't see a hazmat fee listed on NAC's site, but their minimum freight charge is $40.

Default Primus

I use this stove

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

It can burn just about anything you want even deisel fuel. It's been through hell and back and keeps on going. If you don't wanto to buy a whole can of white gas use this with a quart of unleaded.