Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out these hogs!!

Default Check out these hogs!!

I set my bear bait out on the 3rd of May, checked and restocked on the 17th. The bait was hit but not very hard. Went back to the bait on the 27th, checked game cam and restocked, bait was hit hard with 477 pics on the game cam. A few nice blackies and a huge grizzly. Went to hunt our stand on the 31st of May with my brother and father in law. Work obligations made this my only weekend to hunt my stand so I wasn't going to be too picky on a blackie. I wanted a shoulder mount for the wall so I didn't need a huge bear. Walking into our stand at 10:30 pm we spooked a bear on our bait, I climbed the tree stand and my brother handed up our gear, before he finished handing our gear to me the bear came right back in to the barrel. After a long discussion I desided to take this bear. This would be my first animal with a bow and WOW was it exciting. At 15 yards and a 21 degree angle to the bear I let my arrow with a montec G5 broadhead fly. At such a steep angle of approch my arrow hit behind the shoulder through one lung and out the armpit of the opposite shoulder. The bear left a good blood trail and went 90yds from the bait before he expired. My easton axis arrow broke in half. My bear measured 5'8"and with a dark snout he should make a nice mount. My Father in law harvested a 6'1" sow with beautiful fur the next day. My brother went up a few days ago and retrieved images from the game cams and it shows some real hogs, and I can't make it back to my stand this year what a bummer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default They get bigger

A few more pics

Default Another

The Big MOFO. How big do you think this guy is?

Default The grizzly

How big is this guy?

IMO that is one healthy gizz and you could land a supercub on that blackies butt
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default My blackie

After those pics my bear looks like a cub

Thumbs up WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Black bear needs pilot cars and a wide load sign, and the brownie makes your barrell look like a beer can Please if you have an extra Black bear please send him to Kasilof I'd love to have one that size(actually just a blackie would be nice) you can keep the Brownie we have PLENTY already.

Default just my thoughts

I find it interesting that both black and browns are sharing????

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    I find it interesting that both black and browns are sharing????

I had them sharing my bait last year.

Are you in the interior? I am, and have a nice grizz on my bait, but no sign of a blackie yet. I don't think I'll be getting one this year. Those are super bears!

Default Interior

I am baiting north of Fairbanks, I have baited here for several years and usually have decent bears on the bait, we've harvested 2 over 6 feet with the thickest fur you could imagine. My fater in law took his bear to the taxidermist the other day and wanted a half life size coming out of the wall but the taxidermist talked him out of it, he said he would feel so guilty cutting half the hide off and convinced him that the bear had exceptional fur and rugging should be his only option. We usually bait and take video and pictures and just watch most of the years. There is more pressure where we bait this year then ever before. This is only the second time a grizz has visited our bait in 8 years. The first grizz tore everything up barried our barrel and we never saw another blackie the rest of the season, this year the grizz has come in at least twice and according to the game cam a blackie has come in less than an hour later.

Default when were the pitures taken?

was the pics of the big mofo blackie taken before or after your father in law shot that big sow.......if it was before i'd say that that is her..if the one he shot has a nice golden muzzle with dark brown on top....and the pictures of the blackies sitting are of the same bear, possibly her too, the head doesn't seem to have that blocky boar look and the neck appears short..the standing one is obviously a different bear.. and the one is too dark to tell anything...i'd say that was two different grizzlies too...the one behind the barrel looks to be a sow and the one on the barrel just looks like a much bigger bear....but i'm just sitting here with nothing better to do comparing pictures....what do you think? how off am i?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I'd say that they are two different bears as well since the file numbers are so far apart, the date and times arent right either......Not that it matters! I'd love to run into something like that in my back yard
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Interior

My stand is new this year, so I expected it to be slow. However, it has been a dud so far. It is in what I thought (from experience) to be a great location. So far, just the one (that I'm aware of) grumpy grizzly. I have noticed a lot of moose traffic through the area as of late. In fact, my brother (up from the 48) and I sat the stand the other night, and watched two moose cruise through the stand area, followed 30 seconds later by "our" grumpy grizzly. He was hot on their trail, until he realized he was on his mowed down path to the bait. He stopped looked their way twice, and came right in to the stand and pigged out. The way he acts, as if he owns the bait, indicates to me that he is the only one using it. I'm going to keep it going the rest of the year, to try to draw some blackies in. Maybe to get it known to them for next year. I'm beginning to think the high number of moose through the area is an indication that it may just be a good stand to bait grizzly for pictures! Got great film non-the less. I had baited with another guy north of Fairbanks in previous years, and always had good blackie numbers. Moved to the new stand this year, due to its proximity to where I live in North Pole. I remember we had grizzly prints on the trail north of Fairbanks one year. It was somewhat odd, because the prints indicated the grizzly walked up the main trail, and kept on going. It never turned off the trail on to the side trail that led to the bait. The bait wasn't that far off the main trail. The bear had to have smelled the bait at that distance. Maybe he wasn't hungry! Who knows? I just realized I am rambling on. I'm bored at work!!!!

who is your taxidermist?

Default Times

The first picture is taken after my fater in law shot his bear, the second was before. The third and fourth pics were taken before and I don't know if there the same bear, the files our one apart but the lighting was way darker on the second file, and it only takes one pic every 4 minutes. The game camera sucks, it is a wildveiw my fater in law got on sale, the megapixals are low and as you can see the flash sucks, most of the pics have been brighten on photo editor. The big mofo was taken after. My father in laws bear was only 6'1" and it looked way smaller compared to the big mofo against the barrel. The big mofo is pushing 7feetish in my own opinion. The grizzlys could definaly be different, they came 10 days apart. The game cam doesn't have a time or date stamp. The taxidermist my fater in law used was Leo at Remember the Moment, I brought my bear to Terry at Black Bear Taxidermy.

Default Tank!

That Grizz standing on the barrel is a Tank.

The big Black is also trophy quality.....definatly more than a 6 ft bear. It's suprisingly fat for this time of year I must say. It must be eating everones barrel.

Smile Big bears

You had a good year baiting . That is a pig of a black bear by your bait barrel . Hopefully you see him again , next year .

Default WOW!

It is pictures like the one of the griz over the barrel that make me think I need a bigger rifle......when I am moose hunting.....

Very nice blacks, would like see the measurements of the one with the big head...

Don

What a beautifull black bear, I would love to take one like that. Maybe in my dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast