Thread: Did You Get Hail Storm Damage in NP?

Angry Did You Get Hail Storm Damage in NP?

Took off Thursday afternoon for an overnight fishing trip...Came back Friday eve to some nasty carnage. Someone said we had a hail storm in North Pole. (Of course there's nothing in the News Miner as of two days later that would clue me in...) Just curious as to the extent since all I have is the aftermath....and it ain't purdy...Leaves are pulverized like they went through a paper shredder, those that aren't shredded have holes neatly punched through, stems are cut clean through so there's lots of foliage just beat into the soil...Quite a mess...

Took out about 20 dahlias, some vigna caracallas (started indoors in February that were happily starting to climb their outdoor trellis), a couple clematis, mangled some lilies..those are just the ones that made me teary, but it also damaged a bunch of other stuff...

Moose-we use Plantskyyd...Rabbits-well, we haven't found one with enough meat for stew but we "make them go away" ...Mother Nature-SHE reminds us who's in charge and determines when she'll have one of her hissy fits...and it looks like she threw one Thursday!

Default ....weatherunderground said....

I looked up the weather on Friday afternoon about 3pm because I had to drive out to North Pole to take the dog to the vet. There was a blurb that said North Pole had gotten pea-sized hail.

Bummer, bummer. Sorry about your flowers. I hope not too many got trashed.

Had some Hail three days ago down here in the mat-su did a good number on my hydrangea's but that was about it did you trim up the hail damage or just leave it hanging?

I am so sorry to hear about your plants! I still have all my plants in cartons ready to be replanted as soon as I get my garden roto-tilled.
    You must be on another side of NP, though, because we didn't get hail here.
    Is there any way to save your plants?
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    as soon as I get my garden roto-tilled.
    Do some reading of Jeff Lowenfels online if you can find it, or in his book "Teeming with Microbes - A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web". Rototilling the soil destroys the soil food web and is actually detrimental to the plants you'll be planting. Simple weed the garden, but do not remove all dead material from last year (as dead material = worm food = naturally rich fertilizer), and do not rototill! It has become an antiquated practice based on current biological understanding.

Here is an excellent article by Lowenfels on why rototilling is not a good practice.

An introductory paragraph - "As much as I loved to rototill, I am nonetheless strongly suggesting you not rototill or otherwise "turn" your garden soil. The practice doesn't improve gardens one bit and takes a lot of time and energy. In fact, the assault on your soils sets the stage for lots of problems and thus even more unnecessary work."

Well, it seems as if the weather had it's own decision to rain last night and it poured and soaked my plants.
    My mom found them today and we had to hurry to start the garden. Between five students, I ended up completely starting my garden today and it looks okay considering we had to hurry to replant them.
    I was explaining to my mom the importance of my prized tomatoes and she just didn't quite understand why it was so important to me to save all my tomatoes....
    It's Alaska. That's why.
    It saves $$ and I take pride in the fact that I'll be able to pick them straight from my garden and eat them fresh.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    It saves $$ and I take pride in the fact that I'll be able to pick them straight from my garden and eat them fresh.
    Absolutely! I don't have my garden built yet (that's on my summer to-do list and I started buying supplies yesterday), but I grew some cherry tomatoes in a hanging basket last summer. I have never tasted a better tomato! I'm sure they weren't actually better, but they were free, fresh, and home grown. I love it!

Share pics of your garden once things get rolling!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Absolutely! I don't have my garden built yet (that's on my summer to-do list and I started buying supplies yesterday), but I grew some cherry tomatoes in a hanging basket last summer. I have never tasted a better tomato! I'm sure they weren't actually better, but they were free, fresh, and home grown. I love it!

Share pics of your garden once things get rolling!
    Sure will if it's successful. I won't post if they don't come up and out like I would hope for them to, but with almost 50 successful tomatoe plants so far, I sure would hope that at least 3 of them make it!
    It's going to take a little bit of time tending to this garden. I am going to irrigate (sp??) from our pond to the garden as well.
    Lurker.