Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood stove suggestions???

Default Wood stove suggestions???

In the market for a new wood stove and would like to know what everyone is using or suggesting to use. Thanks for the help...

Default Soapstone

Woodstock soapstone has great woodstoves a little spendy but worth every penny if your full timing it and not just a weekender.

Default Fisher!

Dont know if you can get lucky enought to find a used Fisher (baby bear, Mama Bear or Papa Bear depending on your Sq Footage), but I did and love it! they dont make them any more, but IMO, it's a quality stove that was built way before it's time. Very safe and efficient to use....... My buddy has a Blaze King, and loves it also. Many choices out there now a days............. your doing the right thing and asking for advice. I have learned many a lesson from other folks recomendations/mistakes that have saved me plenty of money, and heart ache. Take care and good luck........
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ditto on the Fisher. We used ours for 25 years and sold it 5 years ago when I re-roofed the house. Bad mistake, it was in excellent shape and with the fuel prices skyrocketing wished we still had it.

Thumbs up Addiitonal Comment

Hey King,

Based on your experience with your Fisher, did you notice the efficiency I am speaking of? I mean for a stove built 20 years ago, I have very minimal build up in my stove pipe, and only have to clean it once a year.(And that is just to be safe) I had about 2 inches of soot in the bottom of a 5 gal pal this spring when I cleaned, and that is from approximately 4 feet of single wall pipe coming off the stove, and about 24 feet of insulated through the wall and up the out side. I can not complain about that at all. I have talked to folkes that have to clean they're stove pipe once a month to twice a winter because of they're build up..... and that is with newer stoves. I burn nothing but white birch that I season at least two years, so I am sure that has something to do with it, so I guess I must be doing something right! Ha Ha Ha........ 6 years and no problems what so ever. Having a good set up definately adds to the simplicity and enjoyment of wood burning. I sure am glad I found this fisher. I bought it from a man who used it as his only heat source for the last 20 year prior to me having it, and the **** thing looks brand new. He said he wouldn't be selling it if he could still see enough to get wood. Anyway, looking forward to hearing of yours and others Fisher Wood Stove experiences........... thanks
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

We used our Grandma Bear Fisher to provide 100% of our heat all those years for our 1550 sq.ft. house. Our ss chimney was a single wall chimney that ran 15' to the ceiling and then went through the roof with the double-wall insulated pipe.

In all of those years I never physically cleaned the chimney, didn't have to because I would let the stovetop get cherry red at least once a week which would burn out any accumulated soot.

We burnt alot of beach wood and had to change out the ss pipe once because of corrosion and the bricks once also. We didn't have any corrosion in the stove itself.

I would typically open the vents in the evening, get the stove good and hot and would close it down and the wood would last all night. In the morning I would start the process all over again.

Great stove.

Seeing as how the Fisher's have not been made in years, I thought this link might help.

http://www.wood-stove.org/blazekingwoodstove.html
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Blaze King

We heat our place w/a Blaze King, Princess model. Cost was $2200 w/the fan's on the back about 4 years ago. Heats a 1400 sq. ft house all winter long and we burn approximately 4 full cords of seasoned birch and cottonwood. Keeps our house between 75-80* degrees all winter.
    BK

Default Englander????

BlazeKing Princess is high on list of stoves I've checked out so far, has anyone had any experience or heard anything about the Englander stoves that HomeDepot sales? Thanks again for any information....

There are two types of modern, EPA-approved wood stoves. One uses a catalytic converter to facilitate complete combustion. Blaze king comes to mind here. The other uses clever firebox arrangement and airflow routing to burn clean - popular brands down south are Country, Quadra-Fire, Regency, Pacific Energy, Jotul, etc. I don't know exactly where the soapstone stoves play into this, as they are so freaking expensive that I've not paid them a second glance.

I'd recommend the second type, as they don't require catalyst replacement, ever (and frankly, no offense to anyone, but Blaze Kings aren't very pretty).

I have personal experience with Country, Quadra-Fire, Regency, and Pacific Energy. Quadra-Fire and Regency are my preference. I currently have the smallest Regency fireplace insert in my 1100sf house, and it is fantastic. We bought it from a dealer off of Dowling in Anchorage (just east of the dude with all of the military trucks).

-Jerry

Default Woodstove suggstion

Hatfield,
    We use the Osburn 1600 woodstove in our home here in Two Rivers and it has worked well. The pricing is middle of the road and the quality seems very good.
    Jason

Default kent stove

IMO i would look for a stove with a long travel easy control damper. mine works great. its built into the stove design.

Default Quadra-Fire

Have had a Quadra-Fire for 11 years heating a 1702 sq ft. house and have been very pleased.

Default Ixnay the Vermont Castings

I have not had good luck with these stoves, more of a hobby stove.

I loved the Fisher Momma Bear that I grew up with and have liked the Blaze stoves (king, queen and princess). Look for one of the old models that were non-catalytic.

I burn a Blaze King King with a cat in my shop at home. About 6 years old, no complaints.

At my cabin I replaced the old stove with an Englander 30NC. My only complaint is the shallow firebox compared to the Blazeking.

My parents have an older Blazeking king (non cat) in their house. Its a good stove, but my newer model with a cat performs better IMHO. But it keeps their house warm, and I don't have to haul wood for it anymore.

Default Blaze king

I have a blaze king - King. It is a bit bigger than the princess. It will provide much longer burn times than the princess and is about the same price. Spenards is a good place to buy if you can get comercial contractor pricing.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I use a pacstove for camping and mostly on my patio, but my buddy had one and converted it easily for his cabin. Its a cheap alternative to a blaze king, but doesnt pass code in someplaces i think.
    Im new to the whole pellet thing. Im wondering if pellets would work in it. How do pellet stoves work? Do they have to have an auger or feeder mechanism?
    Anyway, these are the pac stoves. www.pacstove.com I love mine. Intensly hot. I dont own a home, but have a fire place. I was pondering just putting it in the fire place as a sort of insert.

You can't go wrong with the blaze kings. For any wood stove, try to install the air intake so that the air comes from the outside. This will help to minize the lost of warm air from inside.

Default Blaze King and Quadra Fire

Everyone's got their favorite, these are mine. We use the Blaze King - King model to heat our 2,700 ft2 home in Salcha. It's -40 at the house right now and 70f inside. We fully load each morning at 0600, put a couple sticks in when we get home at 1700, and fully load each night before bed at 2100. It works great. We don't have a furnace or boiler. We use approx 7-8 cords of wood a winter. The Quadra Fire we had before used approx 10 cords. The Osbourne before that (non-catalytic like Blaze King, no creative gas trap like Quadra Fire) burned approx 12 cords. Have had other stoves in other homes, none seemed as good as the Quadra Fire or Blaze King.
    Blaze King followed by Quadra Fire...my favorites.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I bought the smalles jotal stove they make for suplamental heat in a cabin its ony about 600sq, ft. I love it i also have a oil stove for when im not there but when im there i use no oil. They have a great design they have a upper wall so the heat dosnt go right up the stove pipe. Its very air tight and dosnt use a damper to control the heat it just has a slide in the door to let air in or to shut it down for night time.
    We had a fsher on the homestead we loved it it heated 1500 sq,ft and worked great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast