Thread: Miles Sonar to Chitina

Question Miles Sonar to Chitina

ADFG Miles Lake sonar website (http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...HTML/query.cfm)
    states it takes approximately two weeks for sockeyes to travel from canyon to Chitina on the Copper River. I have always done well dipping at Chitina about ten days after good Miles Lake counts. Any other experiences/opinions about this? Copper River water levels probably most significantly influence how long it takes a red to travel this distance. Any experiences/opinions about what specific water levels on Copper do (i.e. what is considered "high" levels and how much would this affect duration...)

With high gas prices, no one wants to make the long drive and not do well. Thanks.

Default Hmmm...

I've wondered the same thing. I usually end up there 14 days after the sonar numbers and am told I "just missed" the great fishing. I think you are probably closer than I am to the magic number. I'm going to try 10 days (or the 13th) this year, and will let you know. I always get a couple of dozen (by sweeping) but much prefer the years you get two to a bag!

Default dipnetting

We have went 10 days after the alst 3 years adn ahve limited out 3 head of family tags in 4 hours of fishing. We go out of our boat and seem to do a fair amount better than those fishing from shore most of the time. However, i have to say, ahnging from a cliff and pulling in a 60 lb king looks like a load of fun. So what do you fellas do with that bif fish after you get it out of the water? lol
    Justin

Talking Crap Shoot at Chitina

Yea, we do our dipping from boat, also. I believe that bumps odds substantually. However, it's still "fishing", and not always "catching". I have heard that water levels in Copper are very low (more like fall-time levels); I think this will slow migration substantually, but don't know for sure.... We will be likely going this Friday, also.

Kings are a mitt-full, even from a boat. Don't know how shore sweepers manage to land many of those beasts! It's always obvious it's a king when it hits your net, 8-10' down, and even more fun trying to get it into boat before it rips net apart...a good time is had by all...LOL, back at ya....

Default returned

So, we missed "big" run numbers by about 2-3 days. Water level came up over 3 feet from Thursday to Friday according to ADFG. Consequently, fish moved up quicker than anticipated. So, we had to dip harder and longer to get what we wanted--story of my life! Nonetheless, we harvested 60 reds and 9 kings in about a dozen hours of dipping. Only ate several tablespoons of silt--lots of wind! Gotta love Chitina fish to do what we do!