Thread: Anniversary Gift ???

Question Anniversary Gift ???

My wife loves to fish and after this weekend, I believe I am hooked (pun intended). Our anniversary is coming up and I think a good gift would be a nice rod/reel set up for her. Is there an in between set up that will work for silvers and on down in size. I was thinking of a St. Croix or G Loomis rod and a shimano reel and that is about as far as I can go. Any info you can give me on rod length, reel weight, acceptable line weight and so on would be sooo appreciated.
    Thanks for you time as I know most would be out fishing or just out enjoying summer.

Default >>>--------->

Two words:Ronko Pocketfisherman

Now thats funny I dont care who you are
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

A good ugly stick is hard to beat for the money. Indestructable as well. It wont compare with a 200.00 G Loomis but it only cost a fraction of what it does.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    A good ugly stick is hard to beat for the money. Indestructable as well. It wont compare with a 200.00 G Loomis but it only cost a fraction of what it does.
    Used a Ugly stick for years until I broke down and got my Lommis
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    Two words:Ronko Pocketfisherman

Dude........ Get into the 21st century.
    This is the hot ticket now!!!!

https://www.spindirect.com/product.php?productid=16432

Talking Gotta have

I just ordered up two of dem there rods sets. The wife and I are gonna use them in the combat zone next weekend.

(that was a funny video and when I saw Roland Martin endorsing it I cracked up)
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default rocket

does youes thinks that ther katch an see live trap would work for shrimp? its like you get a free shrimp pot when you buy that sweet rod ,,,,chuck can i use youres and youre wifes then i can set 3 pots youres mine and your wifes....i bet i can catch lotsa shrimps....do you think kens ak tackel sells them they have the popilfisher on the wall.........lol

Talking Tempting

As tempting as the Rocket Max Cast is, I beleive I will try the Ugly Stick route. Maybe a shimano reel. Thanks for the advice KGPCR.

Talking Happy to help

MyKC395 , I would love to help you pick something out here, but first I need a bit more information to work with. First of all, are you fishing from a boat or shore most often? What species are you trying to target? I know you said Silvers and down, well thats quite a range. If you get a rod that can hold a fiesty silver, you are definitely going to be winching in the grayling without putting much of a bend in the rod. Way too much rod to fling those little grayling and trout lures too. Also, does your wife prefer a baitcasting style reel or an open-face spinner?

I do have to say that Shimano is an EXCELLENT BRAND! Their customer service has been great every time I have done something stupid to wreck a part on my reel it has been replaced inside of 5 days, no warranty questions, they just ask you for the part number you need (which you can always find on their website) and they mail it off, almost always for free (provided you are not just getting an extra spool or something). I also really like the St. Croix, but if I were getting a rod for just silvers and reds, I would entertain the idea of either the ugly stick, or better yet a Lamiglass. I have a 9' 6" lamiglass that I use for all salmon, it is a little undergunned on the Kings, but I manage pretty well. If you want, feel free to PM me and I can try to give you a quick intro into some of the factors in selecting a rod-reel combo, I don't feel I am an expert, but I think there is much I can help with, keep in mind there is a lot to consider but it can be a great gift if you pick the perfect rig.

Default Thanks Limetrude...

will be sending you a pm.