Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Salmon for table fare. any good?

Default Silver Salmon for table fare. any good?

Guys i am coming up next July 15-25th and i was thinking of a Halibut and Silver Salmon charter out of Seward. How are Silvers for table fare. I know reds are outstanding, I dont want to spend the time and money chasing them if they taste like chums or pinks. I know they can be good smoked but nothing beats salmon on the grill. I am going to hit the reds in the rivers then as well.

Default very good

Silvers are outstanding. Especially caught in saltwater. That time of year is usually a good time for Silvers.

Reds have a bit stronger flavor; but not (my opinion) necessarily better, just stronger.

Have fun and enjoy your visit.

Nate

Really good. Beautiful fish too, and probably the most fun to catch IMO. Seward is an outstanding place to fish for silvers, you should be excited.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Thanks for the input guys! Any one know of a good charter boat for Halibut and Silvers in Seward?

Default Nasty

kgpcr,

They are nasty.....after you get done processing them, just drop the coho you catch off at my house so you don't have to carry them home with you.

Have a great trip.

I'll take a silver on the bbq over a king anyday. Never had the opportunity to try a red on the bbq.

Humpies go back in the water, never coming home to our house. Unless I need halibut bait.

I agree, they are not worth your time to keep. As a favor to whom ever you give them to, it's best to have them processed and vacuum bagged.

PM me for my phone number and address for drop off. I won't charge you much.

PS. pinks, chums and dogs all be the same bird.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=Big Al;282279]I agree, they are not worth your time to keep. As a favor to whom ever you give them to, it's best to have them processed and vacuum bagged.

PM me for my phone number and address for drop off. I won't charge you much.

I GOT YOU BEAT, I WON'T CHARGE A THING.

2nd favorite to eat
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    PS. pinks, chums and dogs all be the same bird.
    Chums and dogs are the same fish, but pinks are a different species. Pinks and humpies are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Chums and dogs are the same fish, but pinks are a different species. Pinks and humpies are the same.

Your correct, I'm humbled.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I'll take a silver on the bbq over a king anyday. Never had the opportunity to try a red on the bbq.

Humpies go back in the water, never coming home to our house. Unless I need halibut bait.
    Whaaaaaat? Never had a red on the bbq? This must be how Brian felt when I said I haven't had any moose/bou/sheep meat yet after 4 years up here.

Do you not have any reds to bbq? If so, drop me a line when you're in anchortown next time and I'll give ya some. Our favorite bbq recipe is to make a paste out of melted butter, brown sugar, dill and garlic and spread over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Whaaaaaat? Never had a red on the bbq? .
    Try it. They are so good. I put a slab on a board you get from Fred meyers. 3-4 in a pack. You cook it on the board and it will give it a nice hickey or other flavor to the fish.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Whaaaaaat? Never had a red on the bbq? This must be how Brian felt when I said I haven't had any moose/bou/sheep meat yet after 4 years up here.

Do you not have any reds to bbq? If so, drop me a line when you're in anchortown next time and I'll give ya some. Our favorite bbq recipe is to make a paste out of melted butter, brown sugar, dill and garlic and spread over the top.
    We don't have a very big red fishery in our area so all not that easy to come by. I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it.

thanks

kingfisherktn

We don't have a very big red fishery in our area so all not that easy to come by.
    Note: This is kingfisherktn code speak for "I've grown weak and feeble and am unable to catch my own fish. The pre-chewed stuff they spoon feed me is a mish-mash of lesser salmon."

LOL ahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Note: This is kingfisherktn code speak for "I've grown weak and feeble and am unable to catch my own fish. The pre-chewed stuff they spoon feed me is a mish-mash of lesser salmon."
    Hey, see the signature, KINGFISHERKTN!

pre-chewed, mish-mash? Make up your mind Brian, p-c or m-m is what your young son will be eating. Am I old or young?

Make up your mind Brian, p-c or m-m is what your young son will be eating. Am I old or young?
    We start this life helpless and dependent on others, and many end it the same way.

I might be on the peak, but haven't started slipping down that slippery slope yet.

Silvers are very good table fare.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast