Thread: Question for Aktally or Akkona

Default Question for Aktally or Akkona

In one of the other threads people are using salmon and other pu caught fish for bait. The following is from the regulations in law:

f) In this chapter, "personal use fishing" means the taking, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual for consumption as food or use as bait by that individual or his immediate family.

From this it would appear that salmon caught in a PU fishery can be used for bait (any part) while sport caught salmon only the head, tail, fins and viscera can be used.

How does enforcement deal with this and is there any other regulations on the permit that prohibit PU salmon from being used as bait?

Just thought people might want to know the regulation and I am sure Ak can clear this up.

Default Pinky's

Nerka,

I thought the rules changed last year including Pinks could be used for bait? I know that other fish only the head and I don't think it's area specific.

Shawn, only in Southeast can you use sport-caught pinks (and maybe chums) for bait....that exception is to the statewide sport fish regs (5 AAC 75.026), that state:

5 AAC 75.026. Use of sport-caught fish as bait

(a) Unless provided in this section, sport-caught fish taken under 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may not be used as bait.

(b) Whitefish, herring, and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport-caught fish taken under 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, may be used for bait or other purposes.

(c) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. Live bait may be possessed, toansported, or released only in the salt waters of the regulatory area in which it was taken.

===============

Through the Commissioner, the BOF has authority to make exceptions to this general sport fish prohibition on an area by area and species by species basis.

Through the Anchorage AC, I submitted a proposal to allow sport-caught pinks in PWS to be used as bait that will be considered at next winter's BOF meetings. All daily bag and posession limits still apply.

But, that isn't quite what Nerka was asking about. I did a little looking and coundn't find anything prohibiting PU-caught salmon from being used as bait. But I've been wrong before. I'll be curious to see what Aktally or others may have to offer.

Art.

Nerka - I know that I am one of those that has mentioned using salmon for shrimp bait, so I just wanted to clarify that we've always followed the regs on this one. We just use the filleted carcass, head, guts, etc. We've never used the meat, though it is legal to do so with PU fish. I wouldn't ever spend my time and money dipnetting reds just to use them as bait, but it's perfectly legal to do so. It would be tricky for enforcement, though.

Default not questioning anyone's actions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nerka - I know that I am one of those that has mentioned using salmon for shrimp bait, so I just wanted to clarify that we've always followed the regs on this one. We just use the filleted carcass, head, guts, etc. We've never used the meat, though it is legal to do so with PU fish. I wouldn't ever spend my time and money dipnetting reds just to use them as bait, but it's perfectly legal to do so. It would be tricky for enforcement, though.
    Brian, hope you did not take this to mean I thought people who posted did anything wrong. The issue came up with a new shrimp fisherman asking what to use for bait on another thread. People said they used salmon but failed to mention the regulaitons.

I posted the new thread so everyone could come up to speed and I did wonder how enforcement would deal with this given the conflict between sport caught salmon and PU caught salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Brian, hope you did not take this to mean I thought people who posted did anything wrong.
    Nope, I didn't take it as though you thought I had done anything wrong - I just wanted to clarify in case my previous comments about using salmon weren't clear.

Great questions on enforcement, though. I have no idea how that would be dealt with if there were salmon remains in a pot and no clear way to prove what it was before the shrimp got to it. I'm thinking that I'll start taking digital pictures of the baited pots prior to sending them down much like I take pictures of kill sites to prove complete harvest of edible meat.

Default only sport salmon are illegal as bait...

From my understanding, technically it's not illegal to use salmon for bait...just sport-caught salmon are illegal. You can buy salmon from a store or a commercial fisherman and use it for bait...I would imagine that if you were questioned by an enforcement officer, you'd want to have some kind of proof-of-purchase to cover your backside.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we submitted a proposal for PWS regarding pinks throught the Anchorage AC...but I missed the N. Gulf Coast area cycle last year. I'm kicking around the idea of an ACR to get that considered at the same time as the PWS proposal, since a fair number of boats out of Seward technically fish both mgmt areas and some consistency in the regs would be nice. Not expecting any real problem with the BOF passing it...but you never know.

Brian, hope you did not take this to mean I thought people who posted did anything wrong. The issue came up with a new shrimp fisherman asking what to use for bait on another thread. People said they used salmon but failed to mention the regulaitons.

I posted the new thread so everyone could come up to speed and I did wonder how enforcement would deal with this given the conflict between sport caught salmon and PU caught salmon.
    From this it would appear that salmon caught in a PU fishery can be used for bait (any part) while sport caught salmon only the head, tail, fins and viscera can be used.
    Tee Total different slant than the original.??????Where are you coming from?

In one of the other threads people are using salmon and other pu caught fish for bait. The following is from the regulations in law:

f) In this chapter, "personal use fishing" means the taking, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual for consumption as food or use as bait by that individual or his immediate family.

How does enforcement deal with this and is there any other regulations on the permit that prohibit PU salmon from being used as bait?

Just thought people might want to know the regulation and I am sure Ak can clear this up.

Yes, you are correct that salmon caught in a PU fishery can be used for bait. Enforcement officers would deal with this the same way they deal with commercially caught salmon being used as bait. Usually there is some sort of paper trail that they would use to verify the origins of the salmon. They also use their own abilities to ferret out information while talking with fishermen. Most of the violations that are discovered involve non-residents because they do not qualify for personal use fishing. For residents, its pretty easy to check the personal use permit database for harvest information.