Thread: Chitina Float - Chitina Glacier to Copper River

Default Chitina Float - Chitina Glacier to Copper River

Making the trip in an 18' cataraft in late summer with three other guys. Anything particular we should know about the float? Anyone know whether the braids along the first third of thetrip are problematic?

Crickets chirping...

Default Chitna

We plan to do this river the weekend of 7/19. Did you run it yet and, if so, what can you share? Otherwise, I get back to you after our trip.

Brad

No, we haven't done it yet. We leave 8/6 and get back 8/17.

PLEASE let us know how it was! Any dangerous sections, braids to avoid, etc.

I only know about the section from where the Nizina cuts in. I have twice floated from McCarthy on the Kennecott/Nizina/Chitina to Chitina. It is a really great float. The water is fast the whole way, and there were plenty of good camping sites everywhere you looked. This last time (2 weeks ago) we had almost no bugs the whole time. Never needed mosquito dope. For a June trip, that was amazing to me. There were also plenty of clear water streams to refill our water supplies, but since larger clear water streams are where the salmon & bears congregate they are not the best places to camp.

I hear that picking the right channel is the toughest challenge on the Chitina. Antadvice you can share?

Brad

I don't know. I've been picking braided channels for so long it seems like a no brainer to me. You just look for where most of the water is going. That said, I occasionally choose the wrong one, and if I let my friends lead we often end up going the wrong way. But if things are that confused either channel is probably good enough.

FWIW, I found picking a channel on the Chitina easier than picking one on the upper Talkeetna or lower Chulitna. The Chitina has enough water in it to float your boat most anywhere there is water moving.

beware of "the grinder" at all cost!

I did a solo trip from McCarthy to Chitna August 8-10 in my 16' cat, and the braids were not much of a problem. My biggest problem was a black bear checking me out as I was taking a dump in the woods.

By the way, thanks for the detailed trip report, Jim, I found it useful on my trip.

Whoops, didn't realize this was an old thread

Default the gringer

Yes, the "grinder" is to be avoided. The first few miles of the upper Chitina are NOT easy. Pack light at all costs!