Thread: Bowguy...nice Critter

Default Bowguy...nice Critter

Saw your bow bb on the photo thread...please share the story of your hunt with the rest of us. More pictures welcome.

Sure looks like a Pope&Young bear to me.
    Congrats...Gutpile

Thanks, since it was the last day of the hunt before I had the opportunity, we didn't have time to flesh the skull and measure him. No doubt he'll make P&Y possibly B&C as well. One thing for sure, he makes my book.

Condensed version or I should say I'll try... Orginal plans were for me to accompany my hunting buddy this spring to film his hunt with my hunt secheduled for the fall of '09 With only a few weeks before our trip I got a call from the outfitter suggesting that I bring my bow in the event my buddy fills his tag early, leaving time for me to also hunt. The plan was for a ten day hunt but if necessary, we could hunt the entire season. May 10 thru 25th.

During the next nine days several good bear were seen but no opportunities to take a bear that met my friend's minimum of 9 foot or better. Actually, we were within striking distance a a solid 9 footer on day 5. Only problem it was an enormous sow with two cubs.

Day ten we returned from spike back to base camp where we were given the option to finish out the season as planned with me filming or we could split up where I could finish the season bow hunting. I admit, I was ready to trade the video camera for the bow. We only lost one day of hunting as we were flown into seperate camps that same day.

Since spring was slow in coming the bear were traveling the coastline looking for anything that might have washed ashore from the sea. In our new area was a high cliff whos base is only a few yards from the sea. A perfect bench about 15 feet above ground level gave us a great location to watch for bear crusing the shoreline. Any bear passing this part of the shore could possibly give us a resonable shot.

Day two of watching from this location we had a slam-dunk opportunity at an 8 footer. He was working the shoreline which put him at fifteen yards. Broadside an looking away made it awful tempting. Especially with just a couple of days left in out hunt. Since I was booked for my hunt next year, going home empty handed wasn't as bad as it otherwise would have been.

Did I say we had awful weather? I can't recall ever experiencing worst weather condition over such a long period of time. Nearly every day was the same unbelievable rain fall, day an night winds from 20 to 35 mph. One day over 40. Temps were nearly constant 35 degrees.

The morning of the last day found us back on our perch, facing into the never ending wind an rain. At this point, it was all but certain I would be making another trip to the Peninsular in the fall of '09 After five hours we decided to return to our tent, get some warm food an take a nap in preparation for our final afternoon's hunt.

Back at our post for only twenty to thirty minutes my guide Luc whispers, a bear is moving in our direction. What I failed to say was the appoaaching bear could not be seen until within 40 to 50 yards because the cliff blocked our vision from the direction the bear were coming. I looked to my right an sure enough, here comes what appeared to be another 7 1/2 to eight foot very nervous bear. Right away we though we were looking a a sow because she was constantly look back at something that had her more than a little upset.

As this bear moved past us some twenty five yards away we could now see what had her attention. Less than a minute behind came the bear I have been dreaming about. Had he continued on his present course, the shot would be under twenty yards. Because of the new direction the sow was taking the boar moved to cut the distance to her. At full draw, I asked Luc what's the range, he whispered 35 yards. I said to stop him were he gave a short grunt.

The bear at this point was slighty past us an when he stopped at the noise he was in a perfect slightly quartering away position. Placing the 30 yard pin in the crease tight behind his front leg I sent the arrow towards the bear that I have day-dreamed about for a lot of years. The shot was on the mark as the arrow burried well into his chest. Words at this point could not describe the emotions going on on that small obscure spot on the Alaskan Peninsular. Difficult as it was, we stayed put for an hour an a half.

Careful tracking for another 45 minutes placed us looking at and putting our hands on what will possibly be my most prized trophy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default emotions

I know exactly how you must have felt. I spent 30 years dreaming about my trophy moose. On the way back to camp after the kill I came **** close to getting the kleenex out. I'm very happy for you...no doubt you will enjoy your memories and the fine trophy.

What did he square out at?

Default Hearty congrats!

You seem to be a man who appeciates your trophy. That last photo with the background and bear posistion reminds me of the Fred Bear record book Brown bear photos.

What a slug of a Brownie.

Probably the nicest looking bear I've seen posted this year. Nice job!

Thanks for the kind words. The hard part now is waiting to get the mount home. I don't know if I'll ever be able to top this hunt but it's sure going to be fun trying.

Great hunt thank you for sharing. How and where are you getting it mounted?

Nature's Design out of Cody, WY.

I was going with a rug but decided to go with a life size. I know $$$$ but this one is a once in a life time for me.

Default once in a lifetime for many, many more

You get that baby mounted up lifesize and I promise that long after your gone from this world people will admire him. For many it may be the first brown bear ever seen and cement a memory never to be forgoten.

I'm afraid that there are a few rugs shoved in closets across the country......you just can't do that with a lifesize.