Thread: Tilt Problem Help?

Default Tilt Problem Help?

I have an older Susuki 35hp motor,the tilt works fine when boat is not moving much.When you give her the fuel and get moving the motor drops back to the stopping point.I asume this is a lift cylinder problem.Are they rebuildable or need to buy new?

Any info?

Do you have a manual "by-pass" screw on your trim/tilt? Check it for tight.

Yes, it is tight.

Default Trim?

Is it power trim, or power tilt? Tilt will only hold as you explained, under low power. Trim will hold under full power. My old '89 Yamaha 35 was tilt only, and would drop down under power.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a difference.I'll have to do some more research before tearing apart.
    coues

Default Suzuki 35

I have a Suzuki 35hp on my Hewescraft. The model is a DT40. If you have that model, it is a power tilt only. Not trim. Mine is inop. The hydraulic motor turns on but no power to lift the motor any longer. Can't find someone to fix it locally. Suzuki wanted to replace it (Kenai) and would have cost me about $700. Too costly for what it is for.
    MM

Sterlingmike is it low on oil?

Default bcald

Nope, not low on oil. I asked Peninsula Powersports to look at it when they checked out the motor this spring and they told me it may need rebuilt, but they don't have kits for it and a new one was cost prohibitive. I've been in the water a few times so far this year. A real pain in the xxx to have to pull it up manually. Know anyone that does rebuilds?

Default Lift

I would just tear it apart, see what makes it tick. Probably just a sheared pin on a pump gear or something easy. If it flies into several pieces , while tearing it down, you're not out anything. Also, Google for repair parts or even an exploded view of the pump.

http://www.danssouthsidemarine.com/p...40c(86-98).pdf thats a parts breakdown for the dt40, find the part number for what you need, and google the part number... should be able to find what you need.

Default Dayooper

Thanks, guys. I'll probably tear it apart this week. By the way, Dayooper. We left Brimley, MI to Alaska. Near your area?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'll probably tear it apart this week. By the way, Dayooper. We left Brimley, MI to Alaska. Near your area?

Couple of hours.. we be in the munising area

Default dayooper

Sent a pm.