Thread: 99 evenrude 8hp 4 stroke help

Default 99 evenrude 8hp 4 stroke help

The kicker motor sat all winter and now will not fire I put new plugs in it and looks like it's not getting fuel to the plug. I pump the ball till it's hard then I tried pulling the motor about 30times then checked the plugs and they don't look wet. so I pulled the drain plug on the carb and a little bit trickles out then pump the ball and alot pours out so it's getting fuel to the carb just won't fire. Now I will admit the fuel looks and smells bad but that's not the problem cause the plugs aren't wet so what next the motor has less than 30hrs on it. we did get it to fire for a couple of seconds by use of starting fluid. what next?

Try starting it by using a small squirt of ether in the cylinder. This will at least tell you if the electronics are working correctly.
    If it starts then dies out I would suspect your jet in the carb is clogged shut by fuel that has gummed the jet closed.
    Most jets are easy to change if that is the problem.
    Tennessee

sounds dumb but make sure hose is not on backwards

snowolfe we did get it to start and it ran for a few seconds of starting fluid we were thinking it might be the jets gumming up will check that next

Default If the above...

doesn't solve the problem, look to the fuel pump and/or filter. I have an older Evinrude 6 hp that had a bad fuel pump. The "pump" on my motor is just a series of rubber diaphragms, gaskets and tiny washers & springs. I bought the kit to fix it myself, but I didn't do it right and had to have the shop do the repair.
    Jim