Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw Prints / Can You Help Me?

Default Paw Prints / Can You Help Me?

Can you help me which prints are which?
    I am terrible at this stuff, but it would be nice to know what I was around today.

Bear?

2.??

3.??

4.??
    Cat? Lynx?

I have one more. I'll post this for now.
    Lurker.

1. Looks like a Black Bear as I see no long claws.
    2. Wolf or Dog.
    3. Ungalate, maybe Moose? Hard to say as I cant see the hoof tips very well. Deer hoofs tips are more closed and Moose are more open and much larger, no size refence here.
    4. Cats, lynx, etc have 5 toes, this is a dog like track, Fox, Coyote, Dog or Wolf, hard to tell, can't see the pad very well and no size reference. Doesn't really look like a wolf.

I had my husband look at them, too. He thinks that one of them could be wolverine. He thinks this because the way the print is shaped.
    Here it is:

What do you think?
    Lurker.

Not sure if I've ever seen wolverine tracks, may have seen them in deep snow once, not sure. But that track looks cat like. For all I know they could be Wolverene?

Have to correct myself. Cats only have 4 toes.

Here's a good site for tracks.

http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/tracking.html

#4 is not a cat....notice the toe nails in the print. wolf or dog same in number 2. size would be a big help but they are k9. 1 is a black bear. 2 dog/wolf i can see 3 toe nails in the print,cats retract there claws. 3 is a moose/deer 4 looks like k9 but cannot see the center pad well enough for a definate answer. would suggest something for size comparison. like a business card next to them. jeff

My husband suggested that I post something with my shoe in the picture to give a better example of how big these paw prints are, but my one picture with my shoe in it makes my feet like like they are size 2.
    I'll post it when I have a chance!
    Lurker.

I'd agree with most of the answers above, at least without size reference. Instead of foot, you can use anything else that has a somewhat standard size. Here are two pics I took of a bear print I came across last fall to give you ideas.

Then when you post a new one, you can compare it to a previous print to show size. This also shows the difference between a black bear (here) and a brown bear (above).

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    1. Looks like a Black Bear as I see no long claws.
    2. Wolf or Dog.
    3. Ungalate, maybe Moose? Hard to say as I cant see the hoof tips very well. Deer hoofs tips are more closed and Moose are more open and much larger, no size refence here.
    4. Cats, lynx, etc have 5 toes, this is a dog like track, Fox, Coyote, Dog or Wolf, hard to tell, can't see the pad very well and no size reference. Doesn't really look like a wolf.
    I think MontanaRifleman has it about right.

In pic #4 I think that print is from a dog. You can see a perfect X in most fox and coyote prints, also their prints tend to be much narrower than the typical dog. Without some kind of reference in a pic it's tough to tell if it's a dog or wolf print. If there are any boot tracks in the area I would say it's likely someone's dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Nice ring. That was mentioned before, though.
    Lurker.

Default cool post

Great post! I love tracks and figuring them out. The mystery track you posted looks to me like a canine print super imposed over another one. Maybe a back paw print placed on top of a front paw print?

Wolverine have a really distinct print, here is one from a couple of winters ago.
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...3/100_2250.jpg

Excellent picture of a wolverine print!! Thanks for sharing it!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd agree with most of the answers above, at least without size reference. Instead of foot, you can use anything else that has a somewhat standard size. Here are two pics I took of a bear print I came across last fall to give you ideas.

Wow Brian, that is a teeny little brown bear track, huh? :D

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Wow Brian, that is a teeny little brown bear track, huh? :D
    Yeah, he was just a little guy. Actually, I was hoping to head into that area this spring to look for him, but my new arrival prevented that plan. I know that bears have a wide territory, but those tracks are enough motivation that I may head back that way this fall.

A 6" ruler would be good to use as a reference. Small, light and fits in your pocket (or with your camera gear). Use a bright color though.

Trouble with a cartridge is that they can be very different in size and still look alike. If you alway carry at least one of a certain caliber that can work though.

If you press your foot into the ground next to the print that can be used but you need to say what size it is

It looks to me like that last track is 2 k9 prints over the top of one another. The pad doesn't look centered and looks disproportional to the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    It looks to me like that last track is 2 k9 prints over the top of one another. The pad doesn't look centered and looks disproportional to the right side.
    good observation

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Can you help me which prints are which?
    I am terrible at this stuff, but it would be nice to know what I was around today.

this is bear appears to be the hind track of a blackie. there is not enough claw for it to be grizz

Bear?

2.?? wolf notice the elongated rear of the track... it would appear to be a youngster though...

3.??Moose, toes are in lower end of photo appears to be 2 with one following closely to first typically speaking moose do not walk in their own tracks

4.??
    Cat? Lynx?coyote defiantly canine.. yote will walk in their own tracks as will a wolf,however these are rounder then a wolf track... DOGS usually leave 4 separate prints...........

I have one more. I'll post this for now.
    hope that fills helps
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

on bear tracks if you find a set that you are unsure of as to which one made them.. typically black bears have short claws the curve to side on the rear set. only LARGE OLD black bears leave a constant claw on the front pad... however his toes will be almost straight across a line drawn the base of it. and the claw mark will be very short.
    grizz will have a claw mark on all feet. the front pads on a yearling are larger then a big black bear.. the claw marks are long and straight out from the tows and the front will not be a straight a line as the blackie..

a big big black bear will have a track about the size of a mans fist.. you can not mistake a BIG grizz... as Brian's photos show... Brian i would guess that one to be 6.5-7 ft....

here are photos of a 7 foot bear from spring 2007
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast