Thread: Some ship creek rigging questions

Default Some ship creek rigging questions

Im used to fishing just old vibraxes on ship 1 hr before to 1 hour after high tide but this summer since I'm not working I was figuring I'm gonna try to stay down there for a 10 hour strech. With that being said I need to learn how to setup a proper yarn fly so I can fish low tide aswell.

These are the questions I have-

How much weigh should I have and how far above the hook?

Do I just do a eggloop and put the yarn in?

I bought 5/0 Open swiashed gamagatsu hooks that are the basic J, are these the right hooks or should have I opted for the more circular looking ones?

Ok last one

Just a refresher-

It goes Hook with yarn with a unsecured corky right above and then (obviously) the weight correct?

Thanks alot and I hope you all catch fish this year

-Nick

I also bought some 40lb olive green power pro today thanks for the advice on line , the stuff looks great

OOPS! wrong forum!!! haha can you please move this to fishing mods?

thanks, -Nick

Default Ship tackle

Nick-
    Not siwash hooks, go for Gama octopus hooks. 5/0 is good for kings (I believe larger are illegal because of the distance between the point of the hook and the shank), 3/0 good for silvers.

I use split shot in the largest size I can find and usually start out with 3 above my swivel (90 lb test swivels).

You just want the weight to bounce lightly off the bottom on your drift. The rule is: "If your not bouncing off the bottom, you're not fishing."

Power Pro main line in 50 lb is what I use and a 40 lb mono leader.

What other guys around you, don't slap the water, and don't jerk the line on the end of your drift.

Ask all the questions you can with guys around you; most will be happy to give advice, just don't slow 'em down from fishing.

You'll learn quick enough.

jim

Thanks for the input!

Ive read the basic distance from hook to weight should be about 3-5 feet, does that sound pretty close?

Default Length

I like a longer leader, usually going with 5-7 feet, but I know other anglers who are good at legally hooking with the length you mentioned.

I believe that the longer the leader, the more coverage you have in the drift, and that leads to more opportunity to line the fish.

Tell ya what, couldnt have asked for better answers- Hope to see ya at the creek soon

-Nick

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good brand of mono to buy to make a leader?

Sorry for all the questions, just not used to "flossing"

Diagram from what Im interpreting

Shouldn't there be a dime bright king on the end of the line in the
    diagram?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thought about it but ran out of room

Question corky?

why the corky? Extra flash, or to keep the hook just off the bottom....or does it help with the "flossing"?

From what I've been told its to make the line float to keep it from bottom dragging, as I said earlier I'm not used to "flossing" so I cant assure this

well if you are flossing you want a weighted fly on the end so the leader stays parallel to the bottom and something with a strait point so when you sang the fish in the mouth the hook is what hits the fish first.

I like maxima for a king leader on gear rigs, it also makes good mainlines on baitcasters and good butt sections for fly leaders.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.