Thread: Cantwell Hike

Thumbs up Cantwell Hike

I did a great hike in Cantwell today. I'll post some pictures here, but most will be posted on my profile!
    Thank goodness for excellent weather, a great tent, and a great sleeping bag that kept me warm all night.
    Lurker.

Here are a few photos to share. The rest are on my profile!
    Briefly, I plan these trips every year and this year, I decided to go to the same area that I went to last year. Where I finished last year was my goal for this year. I had to do something that was attainable... and that's what I did!
    I hiked on the Denali Hwy facing an area creek. I think that I had one of the most rewarding hiking experiences I have had since living here in AK.
    Enjoy the photos!
    On my way to Cantwell

This is the sunrise today

This is my tent set up before I put the top part of it on. I am facing Cantwell in this picture
    Lurker.

Default Tadpole

Would that be the North Face Tadpole tent?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Yes. I wanted a Bibler, but the husband has right of way and head of household rights... so he won the debate while we were at REI a couple of weekends ago. We are breaking in our tent for Sheep Hunting Season. He's taking this out to Gulkana for fishing for the next couple of weeks, so if it doesn't hold up, we are getting the Bibler (my first choice).
    He wanted lightweight. I wanted 4 season.
    Lurker.

Default the tadpole

I'll be taking my tadpole on it's third sheep hunt this year. My partner also bought one last year. I really like it.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Nice pictures. I love that area and spend time there often. I wasn't able to make it this spring, but was up there in March. I'm sure I'll be back there next May, though.

As for the tent, I have a very similar one called the Starlight. It's an earlier version of the Tadpole that has the same design but no mesh. It's more of a 3+ season tent. I've had that thing in ~100mph winds and sideways rain without a problem. I've been using that tent for nearly 10 years now, and it is still bombproof. Biblers are great, but you won't be disappointed in that tent.

Here's a pic of my tadpole-like Starlight without the rain fly. Same design without the mesh.

Brian, where was your picture taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Here's a pic of my tadpole-like Starlight without the rain fly. Same design without the mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    Brian, where was your picture taken?
    I don't know the name of the trail, but it's about 10 miles up the trail off the end of Yoder Road near Talkeetna.

I think that the covering shell for the tent is an excellent idea for this particular North Face style tent. We have had problems with condensation in the past and our condensation has been elimated by having the breathable shell on the exterior.
    The only thing that I wasn't impressed with the Bibler is that is smelled terrible. The husband actually said, "If we get this, do you really want to sleep in this tonight?" I just stared at him and said, "We'll take the Tadpole."
    I am happy with his decision to get the Tadpole. He pulled it out again and discussed the weight of it during one of our church survival skills functions and the other men were pretty impressed with it as well. He just doesn't know yet that he will be the one carrying the sheep down the mountain. I'll take the tent!!
    Lurker.