Thread: extreme shallow stompgrate problem

Default extreme shallow stompgrate problem

I am having problems with the bolts that hold the stompgrate hinge (forward of the intake under the boat where it attaches to the intake grate) attaching to the hull of the boat. It seems like if they were to come out the whole stompgrate could come off. IS this true? it seems like the bolts were poorly designed in that they were way too small to handle the force of someone stompling on the grate to clean out anything. I've had to continually retighten them after every trip or so last year and the fist big trip this year was the nail in the coffin. The threads are stripped where it bolts in to the hull, so I need ot know how to fix it. Do I rethread it with biger bolts. Are the bolts really necessary? Is there a better way to fasten those bolts to the hull? any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Bigger bolts and Loctite blue at a minimum

My bolts had come loose a few too many times, and the threads were getting pretty sloppy. It was a pretty crappy design, the stomp grate bolt holes were half way in with the factory grate holes. I put in longer bolts with some green loctite (sleeve retainer) on them. They havn't come loose since (100hours), and I havn't tried to take them out either, lol.

There is a different grate that uses different holes. I hear it is a stronger setup.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck doctor View Post
    It seems like if they were to come out the whole stompgrate could come off. IS this true?
    YES, the front will fall and the force of the water will probably rip out the rear...

Quote Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
    There is a different grate that uses different holes. I hear it is a stronger setup.
    I'm not sure if it is any stronger but there is different placement of the bolt holes. More of a straight shot up (perpendicular to the hull)...if your bolt holes are binocular-ed out then you definitely need the replacement...I had the same issue on an '06...swapped grates and problem solved.....I contacted Jetcraft directly and had a new grate at my door less than a week later at no charge....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....