Thread: Hard to pattern Blackie

Default Hard to pattern Blackie

I have spent the last 4 nights trying to kill a black bear on my bait on the ALCAN. Im hunting with my 14 year old and this will be her first bow kill. Im trying to keep the hunting fun so as to not get her burned out by spending to many hours on the stand. Im getting hit hard, every day by a good size black bear but I cant get to the stand when he is. Ive hunted from 6:00PM to 0130 at different 4 hour intervals. I rebate and leave, when I come back Im hit. Hes eating about 25 lbs of food a day. I have no trail cam so Im having trouble timing him. What do you guys think? Should I try the 0200 on, or do you think my next try should be like from 0700 to noon ish? I just dont want ruin my daughters opinion on hunting by making her spend too much time in the stand. Also, Im having a really good griz come through at around 11:00PM , you think he would cause the blacks to hit in daylight as opposed to the night?

Get a trail camera! It'll take all the guess work out of it.

Default Dito

Have to agree on trail cam. Once you get one and find out time bear is coming to bait I would be in stand 1 to 1.5 hrs prior to peak time. This gives the time for world around you to start happening. I have a bear hitting mine at 645pm so with work real hard to be instand by 5 pm. Good luck and post the pics of the bear when you get him.

LKN4ELK

Have a third person walk in with you, then after about 20 minutes have them leave in a less than quiet manner. The bear may just be waiting until you leave, and tricking them can often work.

I second the vote for the comment by Brian M. Two (or three) in and one out may trick them into believing you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Get a trail camera! It'll take all the guess work out of it.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Try a burn or maybe a predator call..........

I agree with brian M also I have tryed it and it works and now anytime I hunt I always have someone drop me off at the bait I get in my stand while the other guy baits the bait while making noise and they the 2nd person leave or in you case the 3rd person leave and I have had bear with in 10 min come in and eat!! It really works good!! I also recomend the trail camera that can be just as much fun as the hunt just seening the diffrent stuff bears do!! Its also alot easier to pattern them!!

Aaron