Thread: Dipnetting at Chitina??

Default Dipnetting at Chitina??

Looking for advice as is everybody on here. Driving to Valdez tomorrow for Halibut fishing on Sunday. But on the was wondering if it would be worth trying dipnetting in Chitina on the way tomorrow. I don't think I would bother with doing the charter and was wondering if there are places people can just show up and try it for an hour or two. Does anyone rent nets? I could get one here before I go depending what you guys reply. Ive got all the gear needed with the exception of the net. I've been lurking and reading the post and it sounds like a hoot. My wife is interested in trying it too.

Thanks

Default Go south young man..

If you can get a net to take along i would go ahead and bring it. I haven't been down there in a year but you will probably see a few people doing the same, so follow the crowd to get a general idea of where to go. Look for an eddy current (a current that flows up river) and just stick your net in the water. I usually keep it on the bottom. When you feel a bump wait about 2 seconds and pull your net out to check for fish. Be careful of 2 things.... 1. the water is very cold and very fast. You might want to tie yourself off. 2. dipnetting is highly addictive, be careful. you will end up all fulll of dust and cursing everyone on this post for making it sound like fun. When you get home you will clean up and think it was fun as all get out. Good luck with both trips! let us know how you did.

Make sure you get the appropriate personal use dipnet permit before heading down. It is available at fish and game and a few other places around Chitina.

Most of the fishing up near the bridge is done by people who wade out and dipnet...I have never done this. I take a 4 wheeler and go down the trail and find a nice back eddy in the canyon. There are definite trails down to the good spots to fish...they look like game trails. Be carefull down in the canyon because it is very steep and easy to slip and fall on the shale.

Not sure how beneficial only fishing for an hour or so would be. I normally spend a couple days down there fishing because you might have to wait to fish in the good spots.

Hope this helps.

CubeCove

Default Sounds good!

I got the permit last night and picked up some extra rope to tie me and the net off if needed. Next to get the big cooler and net. They rent those here on Elmendorf. So I should be good. Just as long as my wife will pull me in if needed and not push me in! I'll put the pics up if any luck!