Thread: Getting in shape, 91 days and counting

Default Getting in shape, 91 days and counting

My hunting partner and I have had our Moose float hunt locked and ready to go for September. Few odds and ends to buy yet, maybe even a another gun.

We have been focused on getting in shape for this trip since last November. After talking to references of the Air Taxi this spring and hearing some say they would never do it again because of the work involved we became even more focused on be in shape.

I highly recommend the P90X series by Tony Horton. I am 60 days into the program and can not believe the results. When I started I had already been swimming 2 miles a day 5 - 6 days a week and was competing in Master Swim meets. The P90X program still kicked my butt at the start.

I just got back from a fishing trip with lots of portaging. I have been making this trip for over 10 years. This year was absolutely the easiest trip physically and I owe a lot of the ease to the P90X series.

The P90X series is a 90 day program with lots of push ups, pull ups, lunges, sit ups, stretching, cardio, etc. Takes about 75 - 90 minutes a day, 6 days a week, of course there is a diet as well. I am not trying to sound like an infomercial for it, but it really is working for me, looking forward to what will be a much easier trip now. You can find out more at beachbody.com

Don

Default P90x

Interesting....I have heard of the program. How old are you? Height? Weight? Changes since starting the program - do not expect the height or age to have changed appreciably!

Hey Don,

I had been looking at the p90X program and was wondering...In your opinion, do you have to be in pretty good shape to benefit from it? I was wondering if the Power 90 program would be a better place to start for someone near 50 and out of shape...unless you think round is a good shape!

Matt

Default hump it

The program is a great way to get in shape but don't forget to get in some time doing hikes with a heavy pack. Wear the boots that you will be wearing on the trip and good luck! The moose don't always fall right next to the water

Default Who has 90 minutes a day

Sounds like a great program, but Who has 90 spare minutes a day, during the summer, 6 days a week in Alaska?

Terry

Default Probably TMI

From sounding like an infomercial to sounding like a personal ad.....

I am 46, I am not going to say I was couch potato, but I have a desk job and depended on my outdoor activities, hunting, fishing, water skiing to keep me in shape over the years, some years were better then others. When I started this program I weighed 186lbs , I am now down to 175 lbs and do not want to loose more then another 5 lbs. Never had a 6 pack in my life, approaching one now, got 3 out of 6 anyway. I am not going to get into measurements, but I am definitely larger in the right places and smaller in the right places, couple of belt holes.....

When I started I could do 3 pull-ups, and 29 pushups, now I am doing 8 sets of 18 pull-ups and multiple sets of different types of pushups with no problem. There is a 15 minute ab workout that is done on the strength days (opposed to the cardio days), I could not complete all the exercises when I started, now I can.

The fitness test at the beginning of the program is to help measure results and too see if you are in good enough shape to do the program. You can get the fitness test on line before or after ordering the program. I would recommend doing it before ordering or immediately upon ordering - the test is doing a number of exercises until failure and you will need a couple of days of rest before starting the program after doing the test. The test is humbling and I have friends who have taken the test, could not do every thing, still ordered the program and are happy with the program.

I have friends at work that have started the program after me and have dropped their club memberships. The only weights I need are some dumbbells, I actually did the first 30 days without dumbbells waiting for a good deal on craigslist. The only other workout equipment I needed was a place to do pull ups.

I purchased a Barney's pack last year, used it to pack out deer, at the time I packed out 100lbs of deer, could not have imagined doing 160lb moose quarter. Not too concerned about the moose quarter now. Have been hiking with the boots that I will be using, the lunges in the P90X program have made the pack with a load much easier and I feel the rest of my body is better able to handle balancing the load, getting it on, ducking under logs, etc. 60lbs is a walk in the park now.

If you get the program be ready to sweat, I live a pretty active life and there is one workout (plyometrics) that they consider the toughest and I agree, you get introduced to it on the 2nd day, I have never sweat so much working out in my life as when I did it for the first time.

I was skeptical of the program at first, bought into it after the first few days hook line and sinker, I was also skeptical of their recovery drink, wished I had order it to start with, my son is doing it with me and really do look forward to the drink, kind of tastes like an orange creamsicle. It really helps make you less sore the next day. As far as the diet, pretty common sense stuff, I was loosing weight from the beginning, my son did not start loosing weight until 30 days into the program he got more serious about the diet. If you follow the diet you will be eating 5 times a day and more food then you proabably are now. I can not believe how much I eat now and the protein I am craving and eating.

As far as making time for it, as usual it comes down to priorities, I have given up some other activities, it was definitely easier when there was less light.

Hope this helps,

Don

Default P90x

Sounds like a + endorsement. Thanx for the response and good luck this fall.

What is the name of this program? web page? cost?........Ben3855

Default p90x

is called p90x i started it about a week ago and can see a change already... take a look on youtube lot's of people posting how they are doing there ....... ps it is a ASS KICKER.

Default Get Bill Phillips book...

Body for Life...it's 50 mins-1hr of uppper & lower body workout, every other day & only 20 mins of Cardio every other day...The results are the same as the P90X (lean body mass, better conditioning, more energy) & will save you some coin as well, as it's only a Book you buying & not a program...sure Bill pitches EAS products in his book but you don't need to incorporate that into your routine if you don't want to...I've been doing Body for Life on & off since 2001, and LOVE IT for its brief amount of time you have to work out with, & the meals alone will get you to lose fat...

With that said, I weighed in around 240lbs when I started in 2001, with a 40+ pants size, & got down to 34's & @ 210lbs of nearly solid muscle...(couldn't lose my gut, hard to lose, even when I weighed 180lb outta basic training)...& this time I've started up after Basketball season, weighing in @ 200lbs & have gained 22lbs of lean body mass...(pants are fitting looser, so I know I am losing fat & gaining muscle weight)

12 weeks, 90 days...same amount of time frame, but less minutes workings out & less cardio...probably better results...

www.bodyforlife.com