Thread: Best place to salmon fish from shore early July

Default Best place to salmon fish from shore early July

Either on the Kenai Peninsula or north of Anchorage. Criteria, in order of importance:

1) No combat fishing. Shoulder to shoulder just doesn't cut it for me, I can do that here in Michigan. Even if fishing success is a bit lower or we have to hike a bit, I really want to avoid this.

2) Type of salmon doesn't matter, kings are great but we're not picky. Just want to get my friend on some fish and show him a good time.

If anyone wants to meet up for a day, let me know, always nice to meet a few locals.

This should be in fishing forum not dipnetting, my mistake. I don't suppose a mod could move it?

Default Nice try

but you ain't going to find any of what you are looking for here in alaska when the fish are in. That just ain't the way it works.

Come knowing that and have a good time dispite the crowds.

IF you must have solitude - fork out the cash for a fly in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    but you ain't going to find any of what you are looking for here in alaska when the fish are in. That just ain't the way it works.
    I don't buy that. I find solitude - or at least places with only a few other people within sight - all the time because I'm willing to walk a little farther or deal with lower success. Lots of folks will tell you that you have to deal with shoulder to shoulder, but it's not entirely true. The best thing I can tell you to do is read, read, and read some more. What areas will be good around then is hard to say right now, as everything seems a little late this year. Check back in as the day draws near.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't buy that. I find solitude - or at least places with only a few other people within sight - all the time because I'm willing to walk a little farther or deal with lower success.
    Absolutely. The Russian river is the perfect example of this. It is what 3/4 - 1 mile long (maybe longer, I don't recall). I would say 90% of the people fishing there are within a couple hundred yards of each other at the confluence. Another 3-5% are at the "Cottonwood hole" and around the areas where the trails from the parking lots drop right to the river. Walk for 15-20 minutes and you'll see me, Brian, a bear or two, and not much else on your way to solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    It is what 3/4 - 1 mile long (maybe longer, I don't recall).
    Even better, there is at least 3 to 4 miles of legal fishing waters on the Russian before you reach the 600 yard closure before the falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Even better, there is at least 3 to 4 miles of legal fishing waters on the Russian before you reach the 600 yard closure before the falls.
    Is it that far? It's been a couple years since I've gone up that far, but I thought the trail up to the falls was only about 1.5 miles? Do you mean from the confluence up to the falls? I do know there is a lot of empty water on that river.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Is it that far? It's been a couple years since I've gone up that far, but I thought the trail up to the falls was only about 1.5 miles? Do you mean from the confluence up to the falls? I do know there is a lot of empty water on that river.
    The trail to the falls is about 2.5 miles if memory serves. And then downstream from there is at least another mile and a half of river to the confluence. As you noted, there is plenty of water on that river to find some casting room.

mid july would be better, but drive past seward to lowell pt.then hike the trail to tonsina creek and you can blind and sight cast for salmon in resserection bay

Default Little Susitna aka little Sue

You can pay and park for around 8 dollars I think. Bring chest waders.

Then You can find a nice spot where others wont fish.

Hint be willing to walk a mile or to up or down stream and mabey get lucky.

July will be early for silvers but check the regs Rainbows and Kings might be worth it.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thanks folks. I'll have to check out some info about the Russian. Where do you park for the little Su?

Good luck out there!

where in michigan do you hail from?

I'm in Midland. Nice medium size town, with lots of outdoor opportunities, but it sure isn't Alaska! I have a cousin up in Houghton....whereabouts are you?

I lived in Niles MI for 10 years, left in 1986. Logged many hours in tree stands for Whitetails and caught lots of Kings in Lake Michigan.
    NRA Lifetime Member