Thread: Why is chitia dipnetting so addictive?

S. Anchorage, AK

Default Why is chitia dipnetting so addictive?

.... Is it because of the best tasting fish in the world? The thrill of feeling the bump of the net? The lottery-esque feeling of checking your net? Scenery? Just wondering. I personally think its all of the above. What do you think?

Eagle River (Home!)

Old farm boy here so one word "Harvest"

Default Second That

Harvest, and yes, the world renowned copper river reds. The scenery is very beutiful as well, its the dust/silt that kills it.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Dust and Silt

The dust and silt just add to the adventure. A wild and scenic river with an ominous canyon and swift current. Man taking harvest of the bounty. I would not have it any other way. If it was any easier someone may put the tv remote down, get up out of the easy chair and join us. No great adventure is without struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Why is chitia dipnetting so addictive?
    .... Is it because of the best tasting fish in the world?.......

Copper River reds are the best tasting salmon on Earth.

Fairbanks, Farmers Loop Permafrost

Best tasting? In the last few months have gotten to Homer and Juneau where they both reject the 'Best Tasting' claim. Great Marketing is what they say it is. Managed to to get a Winter or Feeder King in Homer and I'd say that was as good as a Copper River King. I guess the Copper River Reds are the first to run and so there is a natural corner on the market for the years first fresh Red Salmon but I can't believe it's only that and marketing. I just hope I get more than the 10 I got last year, of which 8 went to the guy I proxie for. Had figured on a return trip easily enough but a change of jobs didn't allow for a second trip. Got plenty of freezer space this year.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

The feel of the fish hitting your net, or the sound of them clanking against the metal on your net is pretty addicting. Being all by yourself in the canyon, (at least it appears that way), netting fish is something else like no other experience. You can't see or hear anyone else from where you are at (at least I couldn't last year). You could be in the same spot 2000 years ago and everything there would be the same including the fish.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

It is addictive because it is rewarding. The dipping is hard work, but knowing how good the salmon taste makes it all worth while. It is also a thrill when you feel those fish bump into your net. And the anticipation of that big king just about to hit your net. It's also a good way to fill the freezer for the long hard winters. The fillets might run out, but the memories of catching them never will.

It's a unique and wild experience. I haven't been down since the first landslide that closed the road about 5 years ago. I miss it. Dipping on the Kenai has provided for many fish and a family friendly location.

I haven't dipped both drainages on the same year to compare copper river fish to kenai fish, but they copper river fish sure seemed to taste better to me.

I'd love to get back down to the Copper, but with diesel hovering around $5/gal, I have a hard time burning over $100 on fuel with the possibility of striking out. That and with the road closed I'd have to charter to my favorite back eddy, and that pushes the cost of a trip to approaching $30 when you add in ice, food et al.

Eagle River

Default Unique and wild

I agree with all the attributes above. The "haul" - a freezer full of delicious (not to mention "heart healthy") fish in good years, especially at today's sockeye prices, helps too.

And thinking about what Paul H said, "unique and wild" above, there is something unique ( about having only 6-12 feet of handle between me and the fish. Whether it's Chitina, Kenai, or Kasilof, this is as close to harvesting game with yer bare hands as it gets, and still little changed in I guess hundreds of years. When we go as a family, we often talk about that, the timeless fish cycle, etc.