Thread: .44 Magnum Semi Auto...

Default .44 Magnum Semi Auto...

Anyone own one? this is one heckva' gun, & I was just thinking last night that if the gun is too large for small handed peeps, you could possibly put the magazine & feed in front of the pistol grip, ala Tec 9...how fesible would that sound?

Default Semi-auto 44 mag

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Anyone own one? this is one heckva' gun, & I was just thinking last night that if the gun is too large for small handed peeps, you could possibly put the magazine & feed in front of the pistol grip, ala Tec 9...how fesible would that sound?
    In an older time you might have compared your design to the "broomhandle" Mauser. Magazine immediately in front of thr trigger guard. Unfortunately there are two unavoidable effects of this configuration. A lot of the weight is moved up front, making the pistol overbalanced that way and since the breech is moved forward to meet the location of the cartridges, you lose a lot of barrel length within the overall gun's length.

Getting a good fit in a holster becomes problematic, too.

The only semi-auto 44s I know of were the L.A.R. Grizzly and the Desert Eagle, both rather large in the handle. L.A.R. patterned after the recoil-operated Browning-designed Colt 1911 design and the Desert Eagle a gas operated semi-auto.

To my mind, not such a good idea. Revolver or single-shot is the way to go, both for balance, for reliability and for flexibility.

Lost sheep (Larrry)

Default Could Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    RUGER built semi-auto a rifle on the 44 mag. If you want it to be a pistol like the RUGER CHARGER, just get someone build you an AOW (Any Other Weapon)and buy the permit. Now you can have a small grip and large bore.
    You could have the barrel length of your choice and return it to rifle status at will.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !