Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizz problems

Default Grizz problems

I have a total of 7 different grizz and 0 black bears this year on my bait stand. The one Grizz is the same #$%^&* that destroyed my camera last year. This year I switched trees and moved the camera up to as high as I could reach. He destroyed my camera again. This bear is the only one that messes with my camera. The below pics are of the camera destroyer. He should be DLPd for destroying my property!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Grizz #2

Here is a pic of the second Grizz that decided my bait stand was a nice place for a snack.

I forgot to mention that I thought the Grizz in the first picture ate himself to death. This bear ate 200 loaves of bread, snack cakes, and pies along with 200 pounds of dogfood, and 5 gallons of mollases in 12 hours. He then disappeared. This bear visited last year every day at the same time and never skipped a snack. This year he gorged himself and then did not show himself again. I thought he ate so much he killed himself.

Well he did not eat himself to death and showed up again 10 days later. Maybe the huge meal sent him back into hibernation.

This is why you chain you barrel down. Or else you will be spending your time looking for your barrel.

Default a couple more Grizz

With the abundance of Grizz and the lack of black bears this year I stopped putting bait out for a week. I am now going to take other's advice and put out horse feed with some extra molasses and do a burn tomorrow night. I will know in a few days if the grizz do not like horse feed. Of couse I have to fix my camera tonight before I can place it back out tomorrow.

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    With the abundance of Grizz and the lack of black bears this year I stopped putting bait out for a week. I am now going to take other's advice and put out horse feed with some extra molasses and do a burn tomorrow night. I will know in a few days if the grizz do not like horse feed. Of couse I have to fix my camera tonight before I can place it back out tomorrow.
    He may just not like his picture taken. BUT, seriously does your camera use a visual flash. If so that may be what draws him to destroy it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I bought a metal "bear proof" case for mine. It's worked so far. Had at least 3 grizz messing with it and it never moved an inch. They left it alone after awhile. The photos show that they look at it once in awhile when it flashes but now ignore it.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Or he's just a BAMF and likes to destroy stuff after he has his way with it...!

I also have a few grizzlies working my bait every coule of days. I did manage to take a black bear a couple of weeks ago between their visits.

I have never even seen a grizzly on a bait in the area I am baiting in before, this year I have had 2. A 7ftr (that strolled into the bait like he owned it) and one that I would guess is well over 8 based on his bearzilla tracks (we havent seen him yet)...he's friggin huge! We did collect a cinnamon black off the bait the other night but the black bear activity seems to be null and void compared to years past. Sure has been a weird spring! The 7ftr was absolutely gorging himself on the bait for about a week (hundreds of lbs of dog food), though it appears he moved on and now this big boy has showed up. We'll see I guess.

I think the black bears are still in their dens or something!....grin

Default horse feed

I tested the theory on wether a brownie would move on if I switched to horse feed. the brown ate 2 -50 lb bags of horse feed in 2 days. it was the molasses mix and there wasnt a seed or corn kernel left on the ground.

Bear #3 in your pictures has a really nice hide to him. He'd make a good rug. You got some good pictures.

And alas, I feel your pain as well about having nothing but brownies hit their bait this year.

AFHunter
    Great picís of a nice bear, why not just shoot the grizz?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    AFHunter
    Great picís of a nice bear, why not just shoot the grizz?
    Illegal to shoot grizz or brown bears over bait in AK.

That sucks they have taken over your bait site, but man you've got some great pictures! I laughed outloud at how much he ate in one night, holy crap!

Default Predator control area

Depends on what area your in and you have the Griz/Brown bear over bait permit...You can take him!

Default just my thoughts

Seems to me that next year I wouldn't put my bait stand in that area, but I would have a tree stand up in that area waiting for one of those big guys to pass thru

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Depends on what area your in and you have the Griz/Brown bear over bait permit...You can take him!
    I am only aware of one place in the state that you can take Griz over bait and thats 20E (Taylor Highway) and the results have been horrible there with that. It appears there arent very many griz in that area during the spring baiting season and its quite the costly baiting operation.

could be 'Dem Bones you got hangin in the tree got em "scented in" (meat and all)....and now they have set up shop - good lookin bear too

I'd just move the bait unless you just like to get pics in which case - your doing well

I'd find the trail they are using and setup a little more than a 1/2 mile from the bait site...............then take one of those bad boys out.

If the wildlife troopers even think that that bear..even a 1/2 mile away..is attracted to that trail by the bait station you could be in for a ticket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast