Thread: Anyone hunt caribou in Chicken

Default Anyone hunt caribou in Chicken

Trying to plan a fall caribou hunt in Chicken. We are planning on going the middle two weeks in September. Anyone have any advise, input, or stories? Would like to hear any input. Gonna take my two boys and the wheelers. Never been there. Look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks

If it's anything like it usually is it will be closed by then.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've heard several people talk about this area. Middle of September is my only chance to go. Know of any other areas to take wheelers and kids? Thanks

Lots of trails, lots of people Caribou season opens Aug 10 and Fish and Game is dropping leaflets on camps letting them know its closed by Aug 14. They only allow a few hundred to be havested.

The herd has been close to the road the last few years. I went in 2003 and it was still open in mid september. So its kindva a crap shoot. Lots of Mature bulls in that herd though.

There are some trails and places to hunt caribou on the way to Circle.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default chicken

You mean combat hunting? used to hunt there years ago & good hunting,went in 05 and never again! We watched 6 diffrent guys in diffrent areas shoot at a group Bou,Bullets flying every where,then seen 2 nice bulls on a ridge and went to put a stock on them got in range and 3 guys pulled up(wont say where they work) but started shooting OVER US and they seen us before they started shooting but that didn't stop them...So be careful and plan on riding along ways in if it stays open that late..

Default Chicken Hunt

Trust me, its a zoo! I won't do it again, too many hunters, and the quota is met in a couple days, but you can do it for the experience...so you'll know what I'm talking about.

However, maybe with fuel prices the way they are, might be a good year to go, and not as many hunters...who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwlf View Post
    I've heard several people talk about this area. Middle of September is my only chance to go. Know of any other areas to take wheelers and kids? Thanks
    The Steese Hwy by then, that's where I hunt. But, it's hit and miss if they make that far or not. The last few years they have not really moseyed in to that country until the winter. But, keep your ears open around here and with F&G. You never know what they will do.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

To Plainly put it...Its a Sturgis rally with ATV's

Yeah its stupid busy. when the wife and I first started going, there may be a truck or 2 at the mosquito parked, now its a walmart parking lot.

to dangerous for me anymore. to many knuckle heads running around and I have never hunted the ridge. I cant imagine that area.

Default Agree

Blinks right......... it's like the circus came to town. If your into that type of stuff, you'll have a blast, if not, then I suggest going else where. I have found that people that go up there with un-realistic goals in miind, not knowing what to expect, are the ones that come back all ticked off talking smack about the hunt(Just like combat fishing). If you go up there knowing what your getting into, then it's more easily accepted. I for one don't care for the crowds, but love hunting the area, so I just stay as far away from 'Chicken Ridge"and the town of Chicken as possible, and we always have a good time, and usually have some pretty good luck getting our animals. Don't over look the "walk in only" area farther up the highway! That has produced some nice animals...... It seperates the Quads from the Hiker's, and is in some awsome country. Last year guys were getting them not far from the road (2-3 Miles). I agree with Snyd also........ If you pay attention to the reports, you can eventually learn to decipher what the F&G is telling you, allowing you to adjust your hunt accordingly to the Steese or Taylor. Just remember, Caribou are Caribou...... you never know where and when they are going to be. Be safe and good luck!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Some coworkers go up there and do well. They drive a zillion miles to get past everyone. They dont hardly see anyone as far back as they go and they get some animals.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".