Thread: Ugly Stik rods for silvers and reds?

Default Ugly Stik rods for silvers and reds?

I plan on using Ugly Stik rods to fish silvers and reds unless there are any suggestions/recommendations for better rods that are comparable in price. My problem is trying to choose the most appropriate type of Ugly Stik (there are many more than I remember) and size. I will be flying from NY so, in this case, size does matter

I have listed the various types of Ugly Stiks below. Please let me know, for silvers and reds, the best type of Ugly Stik, action, and length. Thanks in advance.

Ugly Stik Lite
    Ugly Stik (classic)
    Ugly Stik Lite Salmon/Steelhead
    Ugly Stik Salmon/Steelhead
    Ugly Stik Big Water
    Ugly Stik Tiger Lite
    Ugly Stik Tiger
    Cabela's Whuppin' Stick (thought I would throw that one in)

Chad

Default Ugly

I Think You Can Do Better Than An Uglystick I Use A Fenwick Muskie Rod 7ft6 15/ 30lb It Is Teliscpoeing It Is Way More Sensitive Ive Been Using It For 6 Years Never Broke One And Caught Lots Of Salmon...

why do you want an ugly stick? I guess if you want a 2x4 you can strap a reel to they are good....If you break a decent graphite rod on a red or silver your doing something wrong...
    Nice Marmot.

Default medium

If you go with the Ugly Stick use a medium action lite or classic. The only real big difference between the lite and the classic is the size of the reel base. Make sure it's a 2 piece and I would think you would want about a 7 ft if you are spinning. I grew up fishing ugly sticks for kings, silvers, and all other stuff, they are real durable and I think they have pretty decent action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If you go with the Ugly Stick use a medium action lite or classic. The only real big difference between the lite and the classic is the size of the reel base. Make sure it's a 2 piece and I would think you would want about a 7 ft if you are spinning. I grew up fishing ugly sticks for kings, silvers, and all other stuff, they are real durable and I think they have pretty decent action.
    LOL...yeah Brian...those don't break when you run them over right
    Nice Marmot.

Thumbs up Lite

I would get the lite version in an 8.5' salmon/steelhead rod. The medium and medium/heavy are good actions as long as you're not fishing for kings. The lite version has stainless guides which are more resistant to braided line as well as a cork handle. The lite versions are more sensitive and still have the soft flex of glass if you are fishing bait. There are probably better rods out there but not for that price. I used one of these last year and caught reds, silvers, and even a halibut on it.
    Greg

Default it ain't walleye fishin...

Not like a super sensitive tip is needed for salmon fishing, ugly stick will work just fine. I caught 7-8 chickens on mem. weekend with a 7ft 1 piece m/h action just jigging, made catching chickens a lot more fun. Would have been real interesting w/ a 40-50 lber. lol
    Go get em!

$25 walmart shimano combo - bring two. Never had a fish turn me down because my rods were too cheap, or too light.

I saw a guy catch a 6# red outta' the klutina last year on an ultra light. I Caught a 35 lb king outta' the gulkana on a 10-15 lb rod.

Default Depends...

I used to use an ultralight with 20# power-pro and used steelhead spinners (was an absolute blast) for silvers.

Sockeye are a different story: MYO is that sockeye are pound for pound the most fierce fighters in the salmonid family. If you had them grow to king proportions, you'd end up with a killer fish that you need a tow truck to land. I use a 7wt Customized RL Winston rod blank for my sockeye in the Kenai (actually use that for just about everything including trout - it's that diverse and nice, an amazing strength to weight ratio) but unfortunately those come with a pretty hefty price tag. I also have pretty much ditched my spinning rods (keep them around for the wife and daughters) and use my fly rods exclusively. If you're bent on Shakespeare for a brand then pick up an 8wt fly rod - it only takes a short time to learn the basics but a life time to master the finer points of fly fishing. Even armed with some basics, you can catch fish.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming!

A big thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my post. Keep them coming!

Default Re: Back Country Robb

Back Country Robb,
    Actually, I do intend to take a fly rod, specifically for reds. It is an inexpensive, though seemingly nice, 9ft. 8 wt. Cabelas brand rod with a Pflueger reel. I am fairly new to fly fishing, but was successful with that combo when fishing for steelhead in New York. Any suggestions for types and sizes of flies?

Thanks,
    Chad

For Silvers I use G.Loomis 8'6" medium (STR1024S) with Shamano Stratic 4000 and 12# P-Line.

For Reds I use an Redington 8wt 9' fly rod with a 8wt Redington RS-2 fly reel spooled with 20# test mono.

These set ups have served me well for the last 10 years.
    You get what you pay for!! Don't show up with a $20 combo, the drag will last 1 fish and you might loose that one.

I was fishing Reds on the Situk one year (above Nine Mile Bridge). Was having a blast with a school of Reds catching and releasing on every cast of my yarn ball. It was a shallow run with a good current, the fish were well spread out, and the flossing was easy. After a couple of hours a father/son team stopped and watched me. They were from Nevada and carrying $20 K-Mart Spinning Combos spooled with 6# test. The father asked if he could cast into the school, it was their first trip to Alaska and he was dieing to catch a fish (travel all the way to AK and use $20 gear, what's up with that). I said sure and gave him a few tips. His first cast was perfect, his line went tight and he set the hook. The fish jumped twice and made a down stream run that spooled the old guy and broke off. So there he stood, no spare line and an empty spool.

Again, get the best equipment you can afford an carry a spare everything.

TL

TL, I have to agree. I have a lot of ugly sticks, one that is over 20 years old and has served me well. But I do really like the higher end stuff I have now. The feel is much better than the best ugly stick. You will catch more fish with more feel in the rod. It is a fact. That being said if the ugly stick is the only thing I can afford it is still a great buy. They will treat you well if you take care of them.

Default Thank you!

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post.

Thanks,
    Chad

Default ugly stick

ok go to wallys and buy a lightning rod they are 49bucks with a abu reel its not the topof the line abu but it has the same drag system it will last you a long time,,,,,they weigh 1/2 of what an ugly stick weighs...

Default Pflueger? I did that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    Back Country Robb,
    Actually, I do intend to take a fly rod, specifically for reds. It is an inexpensive, though seemingly nice, 9ft. 8 wt. Cabelas brand rod with a Pflueger reel. I am fairly new to fly fishing, but was successful with that combo when fishing for steelhead in New York. Any suggestions for types and sizes of flies?

Thanks,
    Chad
    I did a Pflueger setup for a couple of years and it worked just fine. I got snobby and ended up spending more money on my fly rigs than my hunting rifle. It's really just a matter of preference. Your current setup is just fine and as long as your reel has a drag (my original setup didn't) then you'll be okay with what you have. I use a 30# Chameleon leader with #2 split shot and tie up my own coho flies (silly that we use COHO flies for Sockeyes) . It's just cheaper to do it like that overall. I have a pretty good success rate but am not an expert by any means. I just found something that works for me. I feel strongly that the less weight combined with floating line does a supurb job of keeping you off the bottom and reduces the lost tackle problems inheirent with that fishery. There's tons of (I'm sure its litteral tons) of lead on the bottom of the Kenai River and I do my personal best to reduce/eliminate my contribution. I hope that my little blurb here might influence others to pick up my method and reduce their impact of wasted lead in our rivers as well. I've thought about making my own sinkers along with my Kenai Keepers that are more earth conscious but have yet to come up with a clever coating system or affordable alternative.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Re: Back Country Robb

Back Country Robb,
    First of all, I'd like to thank you for your reply. It is always nice to hear from an environmentally conscious/friendly fisherman. Your comment regarding the expense of a higher end combo is well taken. I actually did the opposite of you. I spent a bundle on my Remington Model 700 Mountain LSS (laminate, stainless steel) 30-06 for deer hunting. It is almost too pretty to take in the woods. Almost. For some reason, I don't feel like I need/want an expensive fly or spin fishing setup. Maybe I will in the future. For now, I use mid-range fishing equipment and I usually do fairly well here in New York.

Thanks again,
    Chad