Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ADFG Kenai Report, June 2

  1. #1
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default ADFG Kenai Report, June 2

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...8/08ersumm.pdf

    Here are the highlights (lowlights?) thru June 1:

    36 rod-hours per fish for the guided angler, and 51 rod-hrs for un-guided.

    In other words, 3 guide boats fishing 3 rods apiece for a full 8 hour day (72 rod-hrs) would have caught a total of 2 fish for all 9 rods! That's about a 22% success rate for the guided angler fishing a full day. I kind of feel bad for the other 78%.

    Harvest is running just under 150 fish out of about 3000 in-river.... so far, that's an exploitaion rate of just under 5%.

    Pretty much confirms all of the private reports I've gotten so far.

    But a patient angler has to keep his chin up. Tomorrow is another day....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  2. #2

    Default Many factors

    There are many factors working against the angler presently.

    The water is off color, low and cold. All of these, plus the massive tides this week all contribute to the low exploitation. I am expecting things to pick up very soon. One thing to watch for, however, is the annual Killey Dump. There is a LOT of snow in the mountains yet and we have not had much for rain this spring, so all it will take is a really good rain storm in the mountains and the visibility will tank. Normally bait is not allowed when that happens, so maybe this year it could still be productive?

    Anyhow, you are right, tomorrow is another day and you never know when your 36 hours is up (for some it only takes 5 minutes).

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    That Killey dump is looming.......a little rain or some warm weather will make it dump mud, it is only a matter of time.....

  4. #4
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

    But a patient angler has to keep his chin up. Tomorrow is another day....
    Based on recent reports on the board, the kings are here, and finally in a biting mood! What a difference a week makes! Water is still low, but viz is way up, success rates are definitely on the upswing, and harvest has quadrupled in the past week.

    The last few days good reports are confirmed on the latest ADFG summary:

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...8/08ersumm.pdf

    Rod hours are down to 24 rod-hrs guided....

    and a phenomenal 16 rod-hrs for non-guided!

    Locals are flat out kickin' ***** this past week!!!! Recall that the avg WAS 36 guided and 51 non-guided rod hours to catch a king.

    The retention rate is right at 75% (one of every four fish caught is released) and exploitation is hovering around 13%
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  5. #5
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    The past three days counts have been in the 900-1000 range. We're now rolling into the run's historic peak with median ER passage occurring on June 13.

    At this pace, the sonar should see about 17.8K ER kings by June 30.

    OH MY.... we need at least a 50% exploitation rate to keep keep this run from overescaping the goal.

    At this rate, exploitation could go all the way to 70% and we'd still make BEG!

    Too bad "the plan" doesn't leave ADFG with any more "tools" in the box to reliably achieve the management objective.

    Or perhaps the problem is the objective... ya think?

    In the meantime, sports better get busy.... we've got about 9000 fish to kill!

    Now, where's my bonkin' stick.....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •