Thread: Caribou

Question Caribou

Need help. Will be in Fairbanks Aug,16, my brother was going to take us ,but he leaves for Iraq this weekend.We are trying to do a self hunt and just need to be pointed in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance

Do you have access to a truck? Are you certified for archery (IBEP certification or equivelent)? Are you willing to consider a fly-out hunt, or are you set on being based off the road system? More info would lead to a lot better recommendations.

Have use of a truck, and we would like to get off the beaten path. We are both ex-guides , me whitetails in IL and Mo and Tom in Colo.We have little knowledge, But this is new. Looking for a good hunt.

I'm assuming that you're not bowhunters, since you didn't mention it. Nevertheless, the Haul Road (Dalton Highway) comes to mind. It will be a ~400 mile drive north of Fairbanks to the area where you'll find caribou. It is resticted to bowhunting only within 5 miles of the road, and this law is tightly enforced by aircraft. If you walk outside the 5 mile line, though, you may use firearms. Caribou can be plentiful and there are many large bulls to be had up there, but make sure you're really clear on this point - this is among the most difficult walking around, and packing two caribou out from five miles or more will leave you miserable. I've done it with a friend and don't regret it, but it's tough. It's mostly flat, but often wet and covered with little ankle rollers. You have to watch every single step or you'll end up with a rolled ankle (or worse).

Type in Haul Road caribou into the search function here and you'll have weeks of reading. That should give you an idea as to if this is a good option for you and your friend.