Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended spoons, spinners, flies? (1st Alaska fishing trip!)

Default Recommended spoons, spinners, flies? (1st Alaska fishing trip!)

As stated in the title, my father and I are going on our first, but hopefully not last, fishing trip to Alaska. I posted a question several days ago and received some great information from several members including Bernard Rosenberg. Now, I was hoping you friendly and helpful folks could point me in the right direction for choosing spoons, spinners, and flies. We will be fishing in late July and/or early August, though I am not sure where in Alaska (suggestions are appreciated). We will be fishing mostly for silvers and reds, but if all else fails we will fish for pinks. Pinks are fine to eat fresh, correct?

I believe spoons and spinners are the most appropriate for silvers, but I am not sure what brand of spoons and spinners to use nor what size would be best for each. The same questions would apply to the pinks. From what I have read, reds prefer flies, but, again, I am not sure which flies as well as which size flies. Lastly, how many spoons, spinners, and flies do you take on your trips and carry on your person? If I were to use a Pixee for silvers, for example, how many colors and sizes should I have and how many of each size?

Your help is greatly appreciated and I will gladly return the favor if/when possible. Obviously I don't have any experience fishing in Alaska, which is the focus of this forum, but I do know a thing or two about bass fishing on Lake Erie and steelhead fishing in Western New York. Drop me a line if I can help out in any way.

Thanks,
    Chad

If you are headed for the Kenai Peninsula, do yourself a favor and save your purchases for when you get up here.

Just stop by Trustworthy in Soldotna when you get to town. You'll get a better deal on exactly what you need.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    If you are headed for the Kenai Peninsula, do yourself a favor and save your purchases for when you get up here.

Just stop by Trustworthy in Soldotna when you get to town. You'll get a better deal on exactly what you need.
    Agreed 100%. First of all, whenever folks buy their stuff in advance, they always show up with some stuff that they don't need and are missing other pieces that they do need. On top of that, the prices at Trustworthy are very hard to beat, and the advice these folks will dispense freely is hugely valuable to the visiting angler.

Default Concur

with the above. The hardware store in soldotna had great prices. Much better than Anchorage or Denver.

Most of what you need for reds is a small bag of red/yellow/green/orange yarn (don't matter what color), a small pack of beads, some 2/0 or 3/0 sharp hooks, and a bag of splitshot...that is it. Nothing fancy.

You can get hip waders there for 20$ -
    Clam gun for 19.99 (on sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Clam gun for 19.99 (on sale)

What!!!!! The Clams in Alaska are so viscious you have to shoot them!!!!!!

Default Thanks for all of the replies. Others?

Thanks a lot to everyone nice enough to respond to my post. I will certainly have to stop by Trustworthy in Soldotna to get the bulk of my tackle. It sounds like they will certainly know more about what I need than I do/will. I would still like to pick up a few things here and there before we leave so I don't have to drop so much money all at one time. Any suggestions for types, sizes, and number of spoons, spinners, and flies? Again, I appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks,
    Chad

egg sucking leaches and flash flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Agreed 100%. First of all, whenever folks buy their stuff in advance, they always show up with some stuff that they don't need and are missing other pieces that they do need. On top of that, the prices at Trustworthy are very hard to beat, and the advice these folks will dispense freely is hugely valuable to the visiting angler.
    Trusty trumps the prices of every major tackle outlet in the PNW. Not to mention that I don't have to shell out 8.8% sales tax on my purchases there

They stock the species-specific gear for the local waters... in the locally productive sizes and colors that are NOT available in the Lower 48.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

How often do you lose tackle when fishing? The more you usually lose, the more you will need. I have a buddy who fished an entire season on a spinner, a pixie, and three corkies, just to prove that it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    What!!!!! The Clams in Alaska are so viscious you have to shoot them!!!!!!
    Yup...very dangerous. I was a clam guide several years ago, but I gave it up.

Anybody wanna buy some clam decoys and clam calls?

Anyway, I catch a lot of silvers (and some reds) on size 4-6 Vibrax spinners and 7/8 ounce Pixees. For flies, a purple egg sucking leech is a good bet. Like everyone's telling you, just get it when you get here, there are plenty of stores that sell tackle (at varying prices) up here.

What kind of calls are you using? During the rut I use the hot clamette in the mid range (lack of good cover in my area), but I am at a loss for pre or post rut calling. I have never gotten the gooey duck fest call down. Any suggestions?

Clam nerds.

BTW - A friend in Soldotna was telling me there are not many good rainbow/dolly/char flies for sale in town. Another friend was disappointed with the selection as well. They were looking for good black leaches and flesh patterns.

Default Well,

I have the horse clam dubble clammer down pat. Worked in Washington last year anyway. Never have tried calling for gooeyduk tho.

The razors are nasty bastages. Best to use 00 clambuk for them - pistol just isn't big nuff. You have to have some stopping power or they will pull you under and the incoming tide will smoke your arse.

I did not see where you were planning on going. That time period is at the early end for silvers in most places. I have never been impressed with silver fishing on the Kenai Pensula. It's not that it is bad it's just that it's not better then the valley streams and it's a lot further drive.

For salmon (not fly fishing) I like Vibrax spinners. They will work well for both silvers and pinks.
    As far as spoons go Pixies work ok in some instances. I would get a few different colors, but nothing too weird (unless you stop by some place and get some local info).
    As far as how many you'll need that will depend on your equipment and location that you are fishing.

Default Replies are greatly appreciated!

Your replies have been helpful and I greatly appreciate them. Keep them coming!

For silvers we use alot of vibrax spinners on the Nushagak amlost excusivley #5s in a variety of colors. I discovered the Kodiak spinners made the some guys in Kodiak a few years back and we have been using them alot latley they flat out fished the vibrax the last 2 years. They have a web sight and are a bit spendy compared to others but I bought another 15 at the sportsman show this spring.
    For reds I prefer a gill net to get the number my better half says we need for year
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Smile My Two Cents Worth

Chadakin
    By all means buy in Alaska in your destination city, the owners have a very short season and should be the ones getting your money.
    Here are my favorites:

Reds: I tie my own yarn balls, just my preference. Several guides I have fished with taught me and it really isn’t difficult. If you can tie an egg loop you can make them real time on your own. Colors vary somewhat but I favor sky blue mixed with light green and purple (just seams to work for me). McFly foam yarn is what I use for the green with blue & purple yarn. This tied on a 1/0 hook will give a little floatation. As I said in your thread asking about rods, a shallow run where the fish are spread out is my favorite water. The rig I like to use is hollow core lead 1/8-1/4oz threaded on the 20# mono and crimped to the line about 3ft above the hook. Strip off 20-30’ of line and pitch the hook quartering up stream and letting it drift in front of the fish. Gently mend the line as it drifts past your position and as it quarters down stream sweep the rod down stream, if it goes tight set the hook. I like to call this method “plunk-drift-sweep”. There have been many threads about Red fishing on this forum, “they bite” / “they don’t bite” is a controversy I want to stay clear of. My experience is a few are biters; they will go after the colors I like (I have seen them do it), and if they are that’s great and they are keepers. However most are not, you will line (floss) Reds with this method and have a blast in the process. Some will be hooked “IN” the mouth (keepers), most will be hooked on the outside of the mouth, I release these fish and keep having fun. I have always said that pound for pound Reds are the hardest fighting and most acrobatic salmon of them all.
    If a Sockeye weighed 30# you would NEVER land one!!!

Silvers: I like to use Vibrox #6 spinners in chartreuse (mornings), hot pink & red (evenings) and blue (all day long) all with silver blades. Pixies (1/2-7/8oz) in red and chartreuse will also work but I prefer the Vibrox (Kings love the Pixies too).

Line: I had a strange experience a couple of years ago with braid on a spinning rod while sight fishing schools of silvers from a raft in clear water. I thought I had the hot ticket with 20# braid while my buddy in the other end of the raft was using 12# mono. I could cast farther and knew I wasn’t going to break any fish off. Well was I wrong!!! We could clearly see the fish we were casting to and I saw fish after fish follow my Vibrox and at the last second veer off and not strike. My buddy on the other hand was slamming fish right and left, he had me at an 8:1 ratio (I was going nuts). Then I figured that the Silvers could hear the sound of the braid going through the rod guides and didn’t like it. I stripped off the braid and spooled up with mono and was back in the game matching my buddies catch rate. Braid has it’s place but it ain’t spinning for Silvers!!!!

Feel free to PM me for more information.

Hope this was of some help and have a great time on your trip. I’ll be following you up in the 1st week of September.

Dave

Default Father

Dude your Father is somone that probably took you fishing for the first time, he deserves the best, recomendation Find a good guide, check references!!!! and recomedations.....he deserves the best. After all your still kikkin. fishen aint a matter of life or death, It's more important than that. Do your home work.... dad always did.
    fshrman

Default Thanks again

I just wanted to once again thank everyone who responded to my post.

Thanks,
    Chad

Vibrax/vibrax/vibrax #5-#6, Silver/ or orange work well. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast