Thread: Eagle River

Default Eagle River

Is the run from Eagle River Nature Center down to the Glenn Highway overpass a decent short trip? Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance...

I think the water is still low right now, but coming up weekly. Even at mid to high flows this is a long day's float. Of course getting your boat to the water from the visitor's center can be a drag unless you're packing small boats.

Most people put in at the state access parking lot about mile 7.1 on E.R. Road. This gets you on to a small side stream for the first mile, but at this water level it's usually a lot of boat dragging until you get to the main channel. Perhaps someone has recently been by there & can you more about current flows in this section. I usually figure 4-7 hours, depending on water level, to get to Briggs Bridge (E.R. Loop Road) Parking & access are below the south east corner of the bridge. This is all class I & flat water.

From Briggs Bridge down the water gradually gets more intense until Campground Rapids (class III+). Then it calms off for a 1/4 mile to the highway. Access is through E.R. campground.

The gage is here: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

All three access points require either an annual state recreational parking pass or a day pass (still $5 ??).

Great info...thats exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

Default Very Mellow Float

My wife and I recently did that trip in our packrafts we took out at Briggs Bridge. Its a very mellow float. Of course we wanted it that way as it was our first time in a current in our packrafts. We put in on the pull out about a mile on the right past the state parking area Jim was referring. It took about 4 hours in the packrafts. Putting in where we did allowed us to get right into the main channel and plenty of water that was a week ago. Never worried about it getting to shallow the entire float.

What did you guys wear? Wet suits or Dry?

Neither, it was almost 70 degrees that day so I was in t-shirt and lightweight fishing pants. The wife got a little cold so she threw on a rain coat for a while to cut the wind. The only way to get wet at all is to somehow fall in or the little dips coming off the kayak paddles.