Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Fishing Openings

Question Commercial Fishing Openings

Does anyone know where to look or how to find out when commercial fishing openings are? If they are going to set and choke of the rivers for a couple of days I don't want to waste my gas to go fishing.

Pretty much everything you need to know is found on this page. Read through the management strategies to understand regular fishing periods and emergency orders. Announcements and updates includes information on openings. Also on the right upper corner of page under Need Information is a link to recorded messages that is updated frequently with emergency order information.

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/ucihome.php

Default Here's all the phone number you'll need throught the state.

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/genin...s/recphone.php

Soldotna is the most popular line ( I have it on speed dial on my cell ) 907-262-9611
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    Does anyone know where to look or how to find out when commercial fishing openings are? If they are going to set and choke of the rivers for a couple of days I don't want to waste my gas to go fishing.
    I used to try to time my trips around the scheduled commercial openings, but then (through experience and seeing it with my own eyes several times) I learned that it didn't matter.

When the fish arrive en masse, there will be an "emergency opening", and the boats will chug out of the Kenai Harbor in a steady line, the "walls of death" will be lowered within sight of the mouth like a gauntlet, and the fishing will be over.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default just bull

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I used to try to time my trips around the scheduled commercial openings, but then (through experience and seeing it with my own eyes several times) I learned that it didn't matter.

When the fish arrive en masse, there will be an "emergency opening", and the boats will chug out of the Kenai Harbor in a steady line, the "walls of death" will be lowered within sight of the mouth like a gauntlet, and the fishing will be over.
    Mark, this is just plain old bull. The fleet is over 500 boats and at times some fish near the river mouth. Most fish far from the river out in the inlet. Second, when the fleet is allowed closer to the river mouth over 1 million sockeye will be up the river since the regulation prohibits using this area until that happens.

In answer to the questiion about commercial openings do not waste your time. Look at the escapement counts and the date. If the counts are low and it is mid-July you can count on movement of fish to the river within a few days and ADF&G will take the first push without any openings. The key to fishing the Kenai River is knowing how fish move relative to the date and tides. It is a probability function since no one can predict when the fish will come but one can make an educated guess.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark

Mark, this is just plain old bull.....
    Are you saying I didn't see this with my own eyes several times (like I wrote)?

.....when the fleet is allowed closer to the river mouth over 1 million sockeye will be up the river since the regulation prohibits using this area until that happens.

In answer to the questiion about commercial openings do not waste your time. Look at the escapement counts and the date. If the counts are low and it is mid-July you can count on movement of fish to the river within a few days and ADF&G will take the first push without any openings.....
    That is exactly what I did. I used historical sonar counts, calculated the days with highest probability, timed my fishing days for dates close to the next commercial opening (to give a few days of "rest" and not fish immediately after a commercial closure), and in mid-July.

The last few years I dipped the mouth of the Kenai, almost every time I did that, I ran into a run of fish, and like clockwork, there would be an emergency opening for the commercial fleet, the boats would leave the lower river, they would run out within sight, lower their nets, and the run would shut off like a faucet.

so you can only catch fish when there are 100,000 passing the sonar per day and not when there are "only" 30,000...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default What you saw and what you perceived are two different things

Are you saying I didn't see this with my own eyes several times (like I wrote)?

That is exactly what I did. I used historical sonar counts, calculated the days with highest probability, timed my fishing days for dates close to the next commercial opening (to give a few days of "rest" and not fish immediately after a commercial closure), and in mid-July.

The last few years I dipped the mouth of the Kenai, almost every time I did that, I ran into a run of fish, and like clockwork, there would be an emergency opening for the commercial fleet, the boats would leave the lower river, they would run out within sight, lower their nets, and the run would shut off like a faucet.
    What I am saying is that 30 boats fishing off the river - over a mile out looks like the whole fleet to someone not familar with the commercial fishery. Most of the boats go out into the eastrip or further (the other 400-500 boats) and fish as this is where the fish concentrate. Those areas are two to three tides away from the river mouth or more. Therefore, the idea you see boats and fish stop coming to the beach is not the issue. Fish pulse into the Kenai and some tides are better than others. So one good tide is usually followed by a bad one. Therefore, you have made a mistake relative to your perception of what has happened.

Also, the set nets, which you cannot see probably influence the harvest more at this time of year than the drift boats. You did not mention those in your cause and effect analysis. Again, the set nets can be effective and they can reduce the number of fish entering the river. However, on the big days when ADF&G wants fish for escapement the PU fishery will do very well. The key to all of this is to be here for a good portion of the end of July. You cannot drive down on a weekend and expect fish. That is not realistic from a management viewpoint or user viewpoint. You need to be here during the time frame fish are moving and at a point when escapements are being taken into the river. If you show up when the goal has been exceeded the commercial e.o's will be extensive - it does not mean you cannot get fish but it means less fish are available- The commercial fishery cannot be a faucet as you suggest.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    so you can only catch fish when there are 100,000 passing the sonar per day and not when there are "only" 30,000...
    That's not what I wrote.

I cannot catch the fish when the industry locates the schools of fish with electronics and encircles them with nets within my sight.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    What I am saying is that 30 boats fishing off the river - over a mile out looks like the whole fleet to someone not familar with the commercial fishery.....
    Where did I state that the entire UCI fleet is at the mouth of the river?

Good thing they aren't. They'd starve, too. Just a dozen to 30 electronically equipped boats are enough to shut off the flow like a faucet.

.....Therefore, the idea you see boats and fish stop coming to the beach is not the issue.....
    Correct. The issue is that it was during a PU opening/commercial closure, and the "emergency opening" changed all of that instantly.

.....Also, the set nets, which you cannot see probably influence the harvest more at this time of year than the drift boats.....
    How can one not see them? When the fish get shut off, one simply has to drive Kalifonski Beach Road down to Kasilof to see if it's shut off there, too, and one will see the commercial set nets stretching out a mile into Cook Inlet.

When one sees that the fish stopped at Kasilof, too, one drives back on KBR, stopping at the various processers on the way, getting denied even purchasing fish at wholesale.

Then one makes the long drive home.

That's not what I wrote.

I cannot catch the fish when the industry locates the schools of fish with electronics and encircles them with nets within my sight.
    Thats called seining.... those guys gillnet, if they are seining I'd suggest calling the troopers... Also most folks don't use electronics they look for jumpers.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    .....I cannot catch the fish when the industry locates the schools of fish with electronics and encircles them with nets within my sight.
    Thats called seining....
    Actually, that's called "seining.........during-a-commercial-closure-which-is-opened-by-emergency-when-the-fish-arrive".

This thing went the wrong direction. I just wanted to know regardless of what any of the commercial guys beleive they are effecting what is going into the rivers and I perfer to not waste my gas going to where a commercial operner has been recently. If they were not there the odds of catching fish for the sport angler will go up greatly. This was not meant to get into a commercial verses sport fisherman thread. I, to like most sport fisherman want the rivers packed with fish and want as much quota cut from the commercial guys as possible. They however make there living doing that and see things differently than we do. They also have a lot more pull political pull so the sport fisherman will lose out in the end. Lets just hope they manage it well so all of us can get what we want.

Actually, that's called "seining.........during-a-commercial-closure-which-is-opened-by-emergency-when-the-fish-arrive".

Cook Inlet commercial salmon fishing is open to Gill Net fishing only. Seining and Seiners are not allowed.

Sorry, didn't mean to intrude on your uneducated, uninformed, unsubstantiated, and misleading tantrum with the facts....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Default yea -

and we all know that those gill nets don't catch any fish...............

Who said that?

Oh....Never mind.....No one did...

Carry on.

Default stay home if you believe what you write.

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    This thing went the wrong direction. I just wanted to know regardless of what any of the commercial guys beleive they are effecting what is going into the rivers and I perfer to not waste my gas going to where a commercial operner has been recently. If they were not there the odds of catching fish for the sport angler will go up greatly. This was not meant to get into a commercial verses sport fisherman thread. I, to like most sport fisherman want the rivers packed with fish and want as much quota cut from the commercial guys as possible. They however make there living doing that and see things differently than we do. They also have a lot more pull political pull so the sport fisherman will lose out in the end. Lets just hope they manage it well so all of us can get what we want.
    I would suggest you do not bother with coming down to the peninsula given your criteria. There is no way one can save you money on gas and insure you will have fish.

When you say you want the rivers packed with fish and commercial quota cut what you are saying is that I am selfish and do not really care about the economic viability of Soldotna, Kenai, Homer, Seward, and the other communities of the peninsula. We need less of that here on the peninsula and more of a balanced thought process.

I tried to point out to you that you can increase your probability of getting fish by looking at the run entry patterns and plotting the run to date from the daily sonar counts. If the run is behind the escapement curve ADF&G will allow a pulse of fish into the river to bring the escapement back on track. If it is ahead of the curve then e.o openings are a given. Remember that the sonar counter for reds is a couple of days travel up river and that the run spreads out in the river from a single tide entry. Also, night tides tend to be poor than day tides for fish movement. Also, one rarely sees movement on the peak tide days.

Given all that and the cost of gas - a trip down from Anchorage is going to run about 60 dollars in gas and you can buy 40 pounds of reds for that cost from a commercial fisherman without having to work for them. Since the average PU fisherman takes less than 10 fish per permit it is actually cheaper to buy reds than dip for them. So if cost is your criteria and not recreation - call a commercial fisherman who has a catch/seller permit and save some money and buy your fish.

Easy Nerka. I didn't intend to get this thing on a commercial verses sportsman thread. One I don't live in Los Anchorage. Two any gas savings to me makes a big difference. All I wanted to do was to make sure I timed my fishing the best I can to better my chances. Yes I am selfish. I just want to catch fish and if that meant shutting down the whole commercial industry to do it I wouldn't care nor would I care if every guide was run off the river to make things better for me. It is all about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention running the tourists out too. How thoughtless of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast