Thread: Best Flies for Kings

Question Best Flies for Kings

Just bought a 9wt set up for Kings (and later silvers). What are some of the best flies (or other rigs) you have had success with here in AK. If it's not too much trouble, pictures would be greatly appreciated. The set up I bought was based on budget restrictions, not necessarily the best gear. I have a 9ft ugly stick (a bit heavier, but sure to not bust as easily). I have a Okuma reel (not the best drag, but affordable). And I have 10wt line sinking line with braided loop connecter to a 20lb tapered leader. FYI, those braided loop connectors are pretty solid, just use a hair dryer (Not a bic lighter) and the shrink collar will tightened up nice. I put a drop of superglue at the connection for extra peace of mind (tip from other fly fishing forum).

Oops...don't forget....send me those King flies and rigs you use or recommend!

Thanks all

Most Kings are caught on roe patterns size 2 or larger. Some favorites are the Bright Roe (orange), the Fat Freddy and the Franks Fly. Other flys that have proven effective are the Egg Sucking Leech (purple/orange), lengths 2" to 5" and the Flash Fly (red & silver).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Try this...

I was watching a few fisherman a few years back and there was one guy picking up kings left and right when everyone else was having a hard time hooking up. I asked him what he was using; he pulled his very ugly fly out of the water (it was right in front of him and so were the kings) and showed me a 6/0 Gamakatsu with Caribou hair gnarled/glued to it. I've yet to give it a try, I'm a bit gimpy and kings take too much walking around and stamina/stability to be effective in catching; but I've always wondered if I could make something like that work too.

He was just holding it practically at pole's length right in front of him and consistently getting bites and hook-ups. It was quite interesting to watch.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I'll be throwing these big gangly critters... they're nearly 5 inches long!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default I Second the String loops...

"FYI, those braided loop connectors are pretty solid, just use a hair dryer (Not a bic lighter) and the shrink collar will tightened up nice." much easier than tying a knot, however I did use a lighter, rather than a hair drier...(doesn't seem to have affected the fly line)

All I can say is go big, bright and fluffy for 'nooks.

Also, on those braided loops, I'd suggest throwing a nail knot or two on it for extra security. Super glue is brittle and will fail over time.
    Nice Marmot.

-Size 6-8 steelhead flies, skykomish sunrise, boss, green butt skunk, etc.

-Size 3/0 Orange Bunny flies

-Size 4 egg sucking leaches

-Wolly buggers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default King Flys

Most of the king salmon I see caught on fly rods are flossed. 6/0 hook works good. BC

Default king flys

do you think that these will work for kings? I might try them this summer.

Yup... those will git'er dun for kings.

Looks like they would be killer later in the season for coho as well.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default sweet

so how do you fish with them from shore on the keani with a baitcaster ?hey guys i would love any tips on how to fish from shore for kings thanks ripndrag.

Default Lost a nice size King

Using one of those braided loop connectors...still have several of them brand new that I refuse to use. The problem is in when you lose one due to snag, you don't have a hairdryer on the river bank to set a new one...I now either do a double nail or tie a loop at the end of the fly line and just loop the leader to that....haven't lost a King that way.

As for fly - I tie an egg loop right to a 'Katsu 4/0 and just make a nice ball with yarn. SW has some nice roe colors, but standard oarnge and white seems to work just fine too.

I have used other flies, and found that they really liked an articulated fly; but just lost too many fish from the fly breaking off at the articulation.....grrrrr.

Ditto on the egg sucking leach....that seems to be the 'go-to' fly up here....for kings, silvers and 'bows.....