Thread: New Ruger 10/22: FYI-Dry firing, magazine jams

Lightbulb New Ruger 10/22: FYI-Dry firing, magazine jams

BACKGROUND: My daughter and I got our new rifles out to the range yesterday. She did great with all handling/range safety points and had fun. We did have nagging problems with cartridges sticking (not loading or feeding smoothly) in both the black factory magazine, or aftermarket 25-round magazines.

Beforehand, she'd asked me about dry firing her new 10/22 (which Boondock had in pixilated camo finish that caught her eye). The answer came during our preparation; while watching cleaning/disassembly/ reassembly online videos for the 10/22 (Ruger website, News & Resources, Online Videos: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/N-RugerTV.html#).

Dry firing OK: During the Reassembly video, at 01:39, he instructs to dry fire the 10/22 to insure function. We didn't worry about it anymore, but I had to call Ruger anyway, so asked about both dry firing along and sticky magazines.

Ruger's answers: I called Ruger ("Bonnie", at Product Service Dept (603-865-2442) and explained probs, beginning with fact that questions involve a new 10/22. Here's what she said:

1. DRY FIRING: She stated flatly, no qualifications: "Dry firing is OK in all of our guns".

2. STICKY MAGAZINES: Ruger recommends High Velocity .22LR ammo in its 10-round magazines. If we have probs using Hi-Vel ammo, then they'll send us a new magazine. She wouldn't comment on the after-mkt magazines.

We were using Remington .22LR High Velocity ammo. I'll get a new magazine to try.

We had two after market 25-round magazines; one loaded full then wouldn't feed rounds at all, then jammed by trying to feed a round crooked. The other wouldn't feed, then would feed after emptying and reloading it. We only loaded 5 rounds at a time after that and it worked fine. The factory mag (10-rounds, black) jammed; couldn't load all 10 rounds, then wouldn't feed rounds (or the rifle wouldn't pickup rounds maybe). These magazine feeding problems common in 10/22's?

The only good 25 round magazines for the 10/22 are the Butler Creek magazines. All the rest are junk. What brand were you using?

A couple of three things. In my experience magazines need breaking in just like rifles. I wouldn't give up on any of them till you've used them a while.

Also try slapping the back side of the magazine (the end toward the base of the rounds) sharply on your hand or gently against the range table to make sure all the rounds are seated as far back as they will go.

Sit in front of the TV for a couple of evenings and work the action open and closed on your rifles. They'll smooth up quite a bit and suddenly your mags will work better. While the guns are new at least, keeping the bearing surfaces for the action block clean and well lubed is pretty important. Once it's had some use though, I'm betting you can treat it really bad and it till won't jam.

I took the Grandkids out to the range last time they were up to shoot my 10-22. I noticed some of them would use the Butler Creek 25 rd mags as a kind of monopod and if they leaned into it sometimes it wouldn't feed right.

Might try some other ammo. My all time favorite is CCI. I'm luke warm on the Rem.

PS Have you tried the Butler Creek Mag loader? Dump in some rounds, shake, turn the knob, and the mags gets loaded. "WOW, I should have gotten one of these a long time ago!"

Default Clean and lubed

Like most other things, the 10/22 needs to be broken in, as with the clips. In most cases shooting a bit of lube (gun oil or liquid graphite) into the clip can help the seat in the clip raise evenly to allow for a more accurate extraction from the clip. I myself use two Ram-Line 30 round clips and have no problems with them at all. This includes using cheap ammo with plain lead bullets (for hunting I like using CCI Stinger). I have owned this rifle and these clips for about 14 years and have shot probably close to 10k rounds. If your 10/22 is fairly new I would suggest breaking it down and giving it a thorough cleaning and generous lubing. The only clip I have had issues with was a 50 round clip and it was at random, most likely from not having the rounds seated to the back of the clip. I wish the clips for 10/22 were rebuildable but they aren't (none that I have owned so far) so when you get one that just wont stop sticking even after cycling hundreds of rounds and lubing it, basically its a bust and its time to try an other brand or hope it was just a random lemon. I wish you the best of luck with finding a clip that works with your 10/22 and hope this helped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ammo

It's probably just breaking the gun in, but try Winchester Wildcat or something of the like. Some of the .22 ammo on the market is a hare to long to feed reliably in mine.

Jon

I ran a couple boxes of CCI Velocitors through mine when it was new and I haven't had any problems with the Remington Viper ammo I run through it now. It doesn't like to consistently cycle the cheap stuff. I did the same thing with my Kimber .22 1911 conversion. It likes the higher velocity fare as well.

Default 10/22

I use the Butler Creek and don't have any problems. I've also heard the Tactical Innovations 25 rounder is the best you can buy. You can adjust them so there is no wiggle in them and you can also take them completely apart to clean them. You can check them out on mizzoumuleguns.com

In my experiance, my 10/22 needed to be broken in before it worked well. I had the same problem. Try some cci mini-mags to really cycle the bolt hard and clearance itself. Try a bolt buffer, it will save your receiver from exess wear. The butler creek mags are good, stock is supposed to be great, tactical solutions the best. There is a way to adjust spring tension on the factory mags for optimum performance. You should check out rimefirecentral.com everything you would ever need to know about 10/22's is there.

Default Thanks.

Great tips.

We'll work on cycling the action and clips -
    plan to lubricate one of the Butler Creek, 25-round mags to compare -
    and try a different brand of ammo, the CCI maybe-
    and work on cycling the action and clips some more...

Thanks a lot.

I polished the feed ramps lightly with 600 grit paper and a dremel...seemed to help I have ten ruger clips and they all work fine.

I had the head space reset on the barrel I installe, so I do not dry fire it, as the firing pin could peen the mouth of the cahmber

Default rimfirecentral - Pete Stephenson

That rimfirecentral.com website is very helpful.

Pete Stephenson posted instructions (including video) for disassembling/ cleaning/reassembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine:
    http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Contributors to that website also suggested working the action good. I plan to get back to range this coming week with new ammo.

Got the Butler Creek magazines lubed up and the Ruger mag too. Been working the rifle's action.

Leonard C: That mag loader looks pretty cool.

Default 10/22 Ruger Magazines not repairable?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaman00 View Post
    ... truncated for brevity...I wish the clips for 10/22 were rebuildable ...
    Alaskaman00,

I beg to differ. At least, here is my story.

I was in the gun store where I bought my 10/22 34 years ago and the owner was bemoaning the fact he was going to have to go through the hassle of returning three defective 10/22 magazines. The end plates were loose and they would not insert into the magaxine well properly.

I offered him $10 for the trio. He accepted, even though Ruger would have given him a full refund. It saved him from mailing them back to Ruger. He did warn me that Ruger made them such that they could not be serviced or repaired.

Armed with his (borrowed) handtools the complete confidence of the utterly uneducated, I disassembled and reassembled the magazines on his counter right in front of him. I have been using them ever since with no malfunctions. I had to re-tighten one or more of them once or twice.

Was he miffed? I don't know. I was younger and dumber then (and not too socially savvy even now).

I operate on the premise that anything manufactured by man can be disassembled. (True a lot of the time). Also, I believe that anything that can be disassembled MAY be able to be reassembled. Anyhow, it was worth $10.00 in 1974 to take the chance.

I hope it's worth my two cents today.

Lost Sheep

Default Follow-up...

Flawless feeding after getting back to the range. As recommended, I had worked the action frequently and disassembled/cleaned/lubricated/wiped dry the Ruger factory clip and just lubed the BC clips.

Flawless at least when shooting the CCI (Stingers) rounds. The Remington rounds (10 box special!) continued to jam. Both the Ruger factory and Butler Creek banana clips worked fine. Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice. We had a fun session at the range this time.