Thread: Shrimp by weight or count.....

Default Shrimp by weight or count.....

How do you measure your success of shrimping out of Whittier? Do you count your shrimp, Ie. "I got 384 shrimp for the weekend", or do you weigh your shrimp? I am constantly amazed at seeing the shrimp catch report done by count. What does this actually mean anyhow when someone says I caught 145 shrimp on my first pull and 285 shrimp on my second pull? Was the first pull of 145 shrimp based on a 21-30 count? Was the second pull an avg of 31-40 count?

I would like to get an idea of what an average good two day trip is for people but don't believe it's possible to do so based on a "number" of shrimp caught. I was unable to go fishing this past weekend; however my dad did get to go this weekend and had a pretty successful weekend. It was a longer weekend than normal w/ an extra couple days in it but still he did fairly well for only being out of Whittier for the third time in his life. He ended up with three halibut, two were small, around 15-20lbs, the other was a decent fish at around 90lbs. Caught a couple of yellow-eye, but did a little better on the shrimping this time. Headed shrimp or tails as they're called, came in at 67 pounds on the scale. We don't leave our pots out so the trip starts off with the pots on board so for that we feel we're doing pretty well.

Oh, he said that he tried counting shrimp and found it sort of like looking at a chart and trying to figure out how many feet deep your fishing instead of how many fathoms.

If anyone else would like to post their catch reports of shrimp, could you do it in pounds of tails as it gives a definitive visual on what the actual catch size really is? Of course I don't mind seeing that someone is able to count to 500 or 600 either, knowing how to count is a good thing too.

I hope that this didn't come off sounding condescending, just would like to get an idea of what the real catch results are and can't do it w/ a number. Like I said, I'd much rather have caught twenty U-15's than thirty 31-40's.

Need pictures of tasty shrimp.............................

I keep track by volume. Throw them in a 5-gallon bucket and estimate how any gallons I have. Then I'll sometimes weigh them (heads off) back home and multiply pounds by what they sell for in the store so I can try to justify the money I spent on getting them!

The only proper way (and) fair way, is by measuring how much butter and garlic it takes to go through your catch. I think you miss a good bet by not doing a stock with the heads.

And old shrimpers trick, is to go out with your pots, taking people that are allergic to shrimp. Works to your benefit every time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I weigh the tails.

Some shrimp are three times as big as others, so counts don't mean much. For eating I'd rather catch 50 extra large spots than 100 small one's. Gallons are vague, and that measurement is supposed to be for liquids. Not to mention some people measure gallons with the heads on, and others with the heads off. I've yet to understand why people leave the heads on.

The way you buy them at the store, and sell them commercially, is by weight (either head on or head off). So that's how I do it. I take what I hear from other's with a big grain of salt...it is usually exaggerated.

I would say 15 lbs of tails per day for 5 pots is a good day. But aren't they all good?

We do by count and by gallons. Gallons with heads on and count the tails as they go into the ziplocks and on ice. The guys on the boat enjoy seeing if this pull beat the last pull (pull of 5 pots) also it helps when you are locating shrimp and have your pots spread out. My worst pull was about 15 shrimp and my best was around 565 shrmip I think. I count my success by trip though. We pulled 6200 shrimp into the boat in four trips this year (9 days total). That makes me smile Gonna take allot of butter and garlic, should probably hit Costco!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

We went out for 4 days a couple weeks ago. Did what I would concider pretty good at 1100+ shrimp. Yes my wife insisted on counting them all and recorded it in our boat log as usual.

We weren't necessarily there for just shrimping but concidering that is all we brought home. Trying to justify the fuel that we used was hard to do at about .55 per shrimp.

Default Shrimp count and Butter

[quote=Big Al;280847]The only proper way (and) fair way, is by measuring how much butter and garlic it takes to go through your catch.

You don't have enough count, unless you end up with a BUTTER hang over

I count mine as well, just for fun, loging the good or bad spots. And yes AKBighorn whoopped me bad, I only got about 350. Maybe he pulled mine when I wasn't looking. But I got 625 in Valdez last weekend and made up for. Um lets see here, AKBighorn with me, I get a few, AKBighorn isn't with me and my count goes up. go firgure!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I guess it just seems sorta wierd to count how many shrimp you got on a weekend. When I take the salmon roe and cure it for trout fishing, I don't count how many eggs I cured, I note it by the number of scanes, or how many pounds of eggs. I also don't have gravel delivered and then ask them how many rocks they put in the dump truck either.

The next thing you know, they'll be counting how many eggs are on shrimp number 49 of 284.

A thought just arose as I reread what I wrote, when they refer to bean counters at a government job, I know what they do on the weekends now, count shrimp.

Default I count mine

by using the hair on the feet for my count numbers! Me gotz 4,897,652 hairs worth

Wouldn't a shrimp count be as good as a skein count?

O wait - do shrimp have hair on their "feet"...

I can't wait until I can get some shrimp for myself some day

Ask a question and then say I hope this isn't condescending. Reply to the answers you got with a condescending statement and you'll get no where fast.

I've been stoved up here in the house after surgery for the past four days and so I guess my reply came back a little harsher than it should have. Certainly didn't mean to be so brash, I guess what they're giving me for the pain must be stronger than I thought.

Since I've never counted shrimp before, maybe you could give me a better way of judging the counts in relation to pounds of tails.... 1100 shrimp would be 40 pounds of tails do you think?

Thanks for pointing out what I missed akbighorn, I hate sitting around the house not being able to move about easily.

I have no clue exactly how many pounds of shrimp that is. On a good day we pretty much fill a 4 gal. container twice. So after 4 days I guess you could say that it might have been pushing 32 gallons of shrimp. I'm sure that's a little on the high end and after removing the tails and eating more shrimp than we probably should have, I think my wife said we had 10 quart bags left for the freezer. It's really not as much as it may sound but its sure a nice treat.

It's a bad time to of the year to be laid up in the house however I know how it feels. Best of luck to your recovery.

Oh and I would equate counting shrimp to counting clams not eggs. The last time I went clamming you had to count your harvest to be sure you didn't go over your limit