Thread: 280 Rem for Moose

Default 280 Rem for Moose

Some of you know that a few weeks from now I will be taking 4 wheelchair hunters moose hunting in the Fairbanks area. I am in a position where I have to loan a rifle to one of the hunters (long story) and the one I have that is most suitable for him to use from a recoil perspective is my 280 Rem, my 300 weatherby he could not handle.

What are your thoughts on this round for Moose given the right ammo and on this what would you suggest. I do not reload so factory ammo is my only option at this late date.

For the most part I am not all that concerned as every hunter sits with a backup gun usually a 300 mag on up to 375H&H that is prepared to assist in getting the moose to the ground quickly and also be prepared should a grizz decide to get friendly.

A picture of my group of hunters from last year-

http://www.biggamehuntinggear.com/DSC_0004.jpg

Thanks,

Doug

Smile

It's plenty of gun. I've used a 7X57 for years using the 140gr. Nosler partition bullet. The .280 has a lot more boom than mine. Just how much dead do you need.
    Dan

Dan K,

I feel the same but wanted it confirmed by a few of you that are more experienced moose hunters than myself.

I killed my first moose 20 years ago with a 7mag with 160gr so I am confident in the 280 with both 140 or 160gr provided my hunter does his job. I guess I am mainly looking for answers to my ammo question, I have cases of 140gr fail-safe ammo and as you might imagine I would prefer to use it because of cost and because the rifle is a tack driver with it.

Doug

Default yes

I have no experiance with rifle on game as big as moose, but I own a .280 and have followed it closely over 20 years. One time I read a long article about a guy who grew up in Alaska - in a remote area. He hunted his whole life, trapped, guided etc. He used a .270 99% of the time including stopping griz charges. he admits to stop a charging griz he would like more but after 50 years of taking countless big game in AK he said the .270 was more then enough. This guys "resume" was bullet proof.

A .280 is slightly better so I am sure it would work great.

Default More than enough

The Swedes and the Norwegians have killed thousands of moose with the 6.5X55 Mauser (264 cal). According to my reloading books the 6.5X55 with a 140 Grn bullet is moving about 2550-2850fps depending on the load, your 280 with a 140 grn is moving 2700-2950 fps again depending on the load. IMHO its about shot placement. Just my$.02

Drew

Thumbs up Use it

Your 280 will be fine, remember, it's all about shot placement!

I'm not acquainted with current factory loads for the 280, but based upon personal experience with both the 7x57 and 284 Win, I'd have no qualms about using them. I haven't tried a 140 grain bullet on moose in either, but Win 150 grain factory loads were fine in the 284, as were 160 grain Nosler handloads in the 7x57.

Default Chiming in

Lemme just add that the FailSafe is a fine, fine penetrator. Your hunter will have no problems unless he tries to punch through the moose diagonally from hindquarter to front quarter. Not a favored shot anyway, given the meat loss and unpleasantness of gutting an animal shot that way.

A .280 with 140 grain FailSafes is adequate. Even better if there's a second rifle in case a big bear comes to the carcass before you're done with it.

Good luck to you and your hunters!

More than enough gun, IMO. I'd even use a .243 with a Barnes TSX bullet.

Thanks for all the input everybody, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

I just hope that at least one of my guys is able to connect with a bull. 3 of my hunters will be trying out the new Win xp3 ammo (no 280 rem available yet) on the hunt and I certainly hope for better than satisfactory results.

Win is sending me 3006, 300 rem mag and 300wsm to try out.

Thanks,

Doug

That's enough gun, shot placement is the key to downing a moose. I won't mind owning a .280 at some point in my life, but awefully hard to go without my .30/06 that I grew up with even though I have a .300 win mag as my primary rifle now.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I bought a .280 ackley Improved 5 years ago for my daughters to start using while tagging along with me in the field.Since then I havn't put it down long enough for one of them to take it!I have taken moose,black bears,caribou,lynx and a very long shot on a goat.Each needing only one shot except one moose that took two shots to put him down.I shoot 160 grain barns TSX.Your hunters Doug will have no problems using the gun except that mine kicks pretty good.

Thanks everyone, I am in the proper shot placement category so I felt confident in the 280 but it is nice to have it confirmed.

Next Wednesday I will land in Fairbanks and the 3rd I will have my guys at the range in town to see how they shoot and check scopes and on the 5th I will have my 3 wheelchair guys in the woods at Chena lakes.

Wish them luck!

I got sucked into the bull riding event in Fairbanks, anyone else going?

Doug