Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's king fishin on little su?

Question How's king fishin on little su?

anybody here of anything i know its been slow?

Default so incredibly slow

I have been down there six times now and landed one today.

best days were Sat and Sun but I think it is because there were a lot off people those days.

On a good year the guides will be headed back up at 10Am with a full boat but the last couple days they are fishing extra hours.

There are definately a few fish in there with some nice 35 pounders. Saw a couple carcasses and today one being carried in a net.

I dont hardly see any rollers yet and I have not seen a fish on except for two I have hooked. Usually any trip up or down river will require waiting for at least one fish to be played out.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Talking Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I have been down there six times now and landed one today.

best days were Sat and Sun but I think it is because there were a lot off people those days.

On a good year the guides will be headed back up at 10Am with a full boat but the last couple days they are fishing extra hours.

There are definately a few fish in there with some nice 35 pounders. Saw a couple carcasses and today one being carried in a net.

I dont hardly see any rollers yet and I have not seen a fish on except for two I have hooked. Usually any trip up or down river will require waiting for at least one fish to be played out.
    Good for you! Glad to hear it....now if I could only get one! Got my bear last week the day after we went fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Good for you! Glad to hear it....now if I could only get one! Got my bear last week the day after we went fishing!
    Right on......

Default today the 6th

I was down their today hooked into one and landed it first fish I landed this summer! the board at the shack only said 2 fish caught today and 16 yesterday. I have to go back to work for a week I hope you guys dont catch them all. Good luck all
    Big Daddy

Cool 4th

I mean the 4th!!!!!!!

Congrats Ron, why couldn't you do that a day earlier?

We havent been doin to bad, but we have moved a boat to the Deshka to see how it is up there. I think they opened the commercial fishery on Salmon, and you can bet that is going to slow down the count on the Lil Su. They are prolly sitting at the mouth with nets in hand. In a few days, if any of you are fishing the Lil Su, and you are lucky enough to land one, let us know if the fish has net marks on it. I would like to know.

Terri

Will be watching for those net marks!! It's pretty discouraging, especially considering that going fishing is more of a luxury this year than in year's past due to the economy, and having to battle the commercial fishermen for our fish is just a bum deal. I know they have a living to make too, but it sure hurts us folks!

We fished the Little Su last night and had limited out within an hour. Both were big males, one just anchored down and didn't want to budge until he finally gave up and (of all things) beached himself. lol He was quite red, redder than I've seen them this time of the year before. The other was a nice fresh one. Both of them are going to make nice dinners this week, first ones of the season, I can't wait!

Default How Big?

TMS,
    How big were they? Did you happen to catch the total on the board going out? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    I think they opened the commercial fishery on Salmon, and you can bet that is going to slow down the count on the Lil Su. They are prolly sitting at the mouth with nets in hand. In a few days, if any of you are fishing the Lil Su, and you are lucky enough to land one, let us know if the fish has net marks on it. I would like to know.

Terri
    Terri, are you familiar with the regulation of the commercial fisheries on that side of the inlet? The idea that there are people "at the mouth with nets in hand" is blatantly false. I hope this isn't an example of a guide blaming everything on commercial fishermen, as the picture you paint is not accurate.

As for the fishery over there, it has been open the past two mondays for setnetting - both 12 hour openings. Two days. That's it. While some fish are certainly caught, this will not cause the run to just stop or flood the river with net-marked fish.

If you're going to make guesses about who is standing where with nets, perhaps you could look into the reality of what is happening.

The fish we caught last night were nice ones - the largest male being almost 40#, the other not far behind him.

The count on the board going out was 16 Tuesday and 2 for yesterday, however when we checked in at the booth, a new guy had just come on duty and said that 2 was not an accurate number.....something to do with a shift change????? Anyone know what he meant?

We are going again tonight, will post the newer numbers from the board!

Default commercial hoopla

I trust what Ray says "Anglette" Fishermans choice. he has been guiding these waters longer than anyone I know. Also the only one I trust with my freinds and family....
    fshrman

I am not even going to explain THE CLICHE' I was getting at, I am sure most of the readers know what I meant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Terri, are you familiar with the regulation of the commercial fisheries on that side of the inlet? The idea that there are people "at the mouth with nets in hand" is blatantly false. I hope this isn't an example of a guide blaming everything on commercial fishermen, as the picture you paint is not accurate.

As for the fishery over there, it has been open the past two mondays for setnetting - both 12 hour openings. Two days. That's it. While some fish are certainly caught, this will not cause the run to just stop or flood the river with net-marked fish.

If you're going to make guesses about who is standing where with nets, perhaps you could look into the reality of what is happening.

Shift change is just that.

There is not always someone in the shack at all times.

Default Just for the record....

We havent been doin to bad, but we have moved a boat to the Deshka to see how it is up there. I think they opened the commercial fishery on Salmon, and you can bet that is going to slow down the count on the Lil Su. They are prolly sitting at the mouth with nets in hand. In a few days, if any of you are fishing the Lil Su, and you are lucky enough to land one, let us know if the fish has net marks on it. I would like to know.

Terri
    The Northern District king openers consist of five weekly 12 hour periods every Monday beginning May 26. Catches are reported in-season on a weekly basis, but the most recent June 2 harvest (predicted to be the single-most productive day of the season) is not yet public.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...catchxarea.php
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I am not even going to explain THE CLICHE' I was getting at, I am sure most of the readers know what I meant!
    OK, I guess I'm in the dark here. You indicated that the commercial fishery was rolling and that it was likely going to slow things down. Since the fishery is extremely limited, what exactly is the "cliche" you're getting at?

Because commercial fishermen who have been harvesting the run since before the parks highway was built have absolutely no right to catch a percentage of the run...

Maybe if you don't like commercial fishing you should buy some permits and not fish em, maybe it'll be profitable in the long run for you guides set net permits are pretty cheap.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I didn't mean they were standing at the river mouth with nets actually in their hands. From the passed years, and I am sure there are some of you, who know what I am meaning. Plenty of net marked fish have been caught after the commercial opener. "ESCAPEES" is what we call them. And yes, the commercial fisheries will slow down the counts on the local rivers. If you disagree with me, your entitled too. I am just going by the history I have seen in the passed.
    Any fisherman/woman, that fishes for a living, is ok with me. We need to make money in the fishing business. And this being a "SPORTFISHING" forum. I was speaking as a "SPORTFISHER".

Wasn't intending to making enemies here.

Terri

Wasn't intending to making enemies here.

Terri
    No enemy here, Terri. Just wanted to point out that the north side commercial fisheries during the king run are extremely limited and predictable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast