Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

I have some company coming up in Aug. Never been to alaska and they like wine. I was hopeing to make some for a speacial treat.

Any ideas. Looking to make between 1 - 3 gallons if possible.

Thanks for any help and enjoy the summer!

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default 1 more thing

Would like a rasberry or blueberry mabey. Something with a local taste!

Thanks Again

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but 2 months is pretty quick for a wine. Not sure if it can be done. Maybe try a blueberry or raspberry beer? Or maybe a liquor?
    Nice Marmot.

Default Northern Comfort

You can try this recipe out, it is supposed to age for 3-6 or even longer for a smoother taste, but I bet your friends wouldn't notice the difference.

3lb Blueberries
    1 Fifth Everclear
    6 C Sugar
    3 C Water

Crush the berries and let stand 1 - 2 days with everclear, strain it through cheesecloth as many times as you need to get rid of all the sediment. Boil sugar and water for five minutes, cool and add the the everclear mix. You could use vodka or any other alcohol you prefer. What the heck, there is cream tequila for God's sake!

For a light, refreshing drink, mix it with Ginger Ale. Or a great dessert drink, mix in a shot of amaretto and one shot of the 'Northern Comfort' with a white chocolate liquer, if that is too strong weaken it with some seltzer water.

They will never know if you didn't pick the berries and age everything for 20 years.

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the help! The blue berry wine sounds great.

After all the mixing it needs to go into a big contanier RIGHT??

You can put it in an old liqour bottle, even the one you used from the everclear. Technically you aren't fermenting it since you are cheating and using a liqour that was already fermented, you are just aging it so you don't need to get all fancy with airlocks and stuff, just a glass jar to store it in. But you should really stay away from clear glass for any home brews and store it out of light.

Quote Originally Posted by southeastgirl View Post
    You can put it in an old liqour bottle, even the one you used from the everclear. Technically you aren't fermenting it since you are cheating and using a liqour that was already fermented, you are just aging it so you don't need to get all fancy with airlocks and stuff, just a glass jar to store it in. But you should really stay away from clear glass for any home brews and store it out of light.
    No need to worry about light. You want to avoid light with beer b/c it reacts with the hop oils and causes skunking...think Heiniken. Thats why most bottled beer is in brown glass.

Airlocks are fancy?
    Nice Marmot.

Yeah airlocks are fancy. You can use a balloon, right?

Quote Originally Posted by southeastgirl View Post
    Yeah airlocks are fancy. You can use a balloon, right?
    On an explosive fermentation, I just cover the hole loosly with sanitized tinfoil. Nasties settle...they can't crawl up and inside carboy

Ever seen a yeast-volcano?
    Nice Marmot.

Ring of fire mead! Super high quality, made in Alaska, few folks have ever tried mead and any whine you make now will be skunk juice still in that short of time. I have found that folks have a much better palate in general than you might think, even a crusty old red neck like me knows when he's drinking a substandard product theses days.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick P,

I was wondering how long you usually age your mead after you bottle it. I have some I am getting ready to bottle soon.