Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brown bear hunting

Default brown bear hunting

Anyone that can suggest an exceptional guide/outfitter for brown bear hunting in AK? I of course would love to get a big bear, but doesn't have to be absolutely a record breaker by any means.

I'm looking for someone who has traditionally taken big bears with good success in the past and is well known in AK for doing so. Anyone you all know of?

I know there's no guarantee of a kill, but again, just looking for someone who is well known for being an exceptional outfitter.

I've been saving to finally go on a hunt and want to go sometime in the next couple of years in the Spring.

I don't understand why some hunts are $20k and others are as low as $4500 (pluse trophy fees). Any difference in these?

I've saved so want to spend the money if I have too, if it's a better chance of harvesting an animal, but would prefer to spend less if I can get away with it.

Thanks.

From everything I've read and just from knowing the guy's character and work ethic, I cannot recommend Jake highly enough - he goes by BRWNBR on here. He seems to have a pretty good success rates on good bears, but more importantly he is an incredibly hard worker and a man of integrity. Additionally, he guides all of his own hunts. He doesn't employ assistant guides, so when you talk to him about planning a hunt you know you'll get what he's advertising. Best of all, his rates are more reasonable that most because he doesn't have the overhead of the larger guiding businesses. If I were to ever go on a guided hunt, I wouldn't look anywhere else. Look up some of the threads about his hunts on here - you'll be impressed.

By the way, here is a link to Black River Hunting Camps, Jake Jefferson's guide service.

Also, look at this year's photo gallery at the top of the hunting forum for some pics of two of this spring's hunts for Jake's clients.

Default Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From everything I've read and just from knowing the guy's character and work ethic, I cannot recommend Jake highly enough - he goes by BRWNBR on here. He seems to have a pretty good success rates on good bears, but more importantly he is an incredibly hard worker and a man of integrity. Additionally, he guides all of his own hunts. He doesn't employ assistant guides, so when you talk to him about planning a hunt you know you'll get what he's advertising. Best of all, his rates are more reasonable that most because he doesn't have the overhead of the larger guiding businesses. If I were to ever go on a guided hunt, I wouldn't look anywhere else. Look up some of the threads about his hunts on here - you'll be impressed.
    I'll second Jake. Never hunted with him or shook his hand, but the communication I have had with him and everything I've heard from others speak volumes. Jake will do you right.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Thumbs up Jake

All I know about the guy is what I've seen on here, but I'm highly impressed. When I get my money together he'll be the first and probably the only one I call.

Is there not anyone in AK who's well-known as a legendary outfitter for producing good hunting if cost were no issue (not that it isn't)? Shoemaker? I've heard his name thrown around a little.

Is there any PARTICULAR unit/area that has typically produced some great bears?

Thanks again!

Default http://www.mountainmonarchs.com/

Dave is a great guy, experienced, and will work hard for you. I've known Dave for many years and I can tell you that he takes guiding very seriously and has great success on his hunts.

Hear anything good/bad on these outfitters:

1. Henry Tiffany http://www.alaskanperimeterexpeditions.com/

2. Phil Shoemaker

Default The Real Deal

Brent Jones - longtime guide, heck of a good guy. His website isn't too good but the guy is an animal and will take you back free I beleive if you don't get a shot at an 8 footer or bigger.

http://www.aaaalaskanoutfitters.com/...ge/1856159.htm

Gooch

I know a guide named Joe Caraway, that guy is a beast! He takes out hunters on the pen. His clients have killed some brusiers! If I knew any contact info I would give it to you.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default just my thoughts

Pretty tough coming by a quality brown bear hunt for less than 10K today, you just have to look at gas prices to know that it won't get any cheaper in the future. You might be able to find some interior guides for under 10K, but I think you will find that that can be a much tougher hunt, and you won't find a 10' bear like you will on kodiak.

Default Brwnbr

I Would Go With Jake Or Brwnbr Here On Forum. He Will Work His Butt Off To Get You Close To Your Game. No Gaurentee But Will Give 100% Effort. Met Him A Couple Times. Top Notch Person. Blackriverhuntingcamp.com

anyone every brown bear hunted by big boat/"yacht" or do you prefer smaller boats/planes/spike camps?

i guess there are no famous brown bear hunters in ak?

from the research I've done I cam across the following master guides that might be good?:
    1. Phil Shoemaker
    2. Brent Jones
    3. Gary "butch" King

anyone heard anything on these guys or any other reputable brownie hunters? this will be a trip of a lifetime for me so want to go with the best.

Default Big boat

By big boat twice, 100% success rate, all nice bears. Three of four bears over 10'. Caught halibut, salmon, crab and shrimp, too. Good luck. I'm outa town until October, so there won't be any more from me until the '08 season is about in the bag... Good luck to all out there, with permits and any other hunts/fishing trips in your future.

big dipper, who'd you go with by boat and what was you experience like? what are of ak did you hunt?

Steve helped put me on a 9.5-10 footer!

Great Guide, Great Guy

Ultimate Alaskan Adventures Hunting Guide Service

http://www.ultimatealaskanadventure.com/

Never hunted with Jake, but met him on the Island. Good guy and his work to make it a successful hunt are obvious from what his clients have stated.

I hunted goats with Brian Peterson last year. I can't say enough good things about how hard he worked to make it a pleasant and successful hunt. His passion is big bears, so I am sure you can't go wrong with him either.

http://ugakbay.com/

Another vote from BRWNBR (Jake) I've never met him but he always shows photos of not only successful but close to record placing hunts.

Not sure about "legends", but there a lot of good bear guides.
    If you are interested in a big bear you will probably want to go to either GMU 9D or 9E or Kodiak.
    Make certain you fully understand how the guide hunts; who will be guiding you; what the return hunt policies are; and the guides position on taking smaller bears.
    A few things you might want to remember are; the larger the guide's skull size average on males the lower the success rate and the higher the average number of days hunted per male; hunts on Kodiak are usually longer and in general hunted by different methods than GMU 9; skull sizes on Kodiak average just a little larger than GMU 9 but not enough for it to be a factor in selecting where to hunt.
    Good luck.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by bigE View Post
    Is there not anyone in AK who's well-known as a legendary outfitter for producing good hunting if cost were no issue (not that it isn't)? Shoemaker? I've heard his name thrown around a little.

Is there any PARTICULAR unit/area that has typically produced some great bears?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Not sure about "legends", but there a lot of good bear guides.
    If you are interested in a big bear you will probably want to go to either GMU 9D or 9E or Kodiak.
    Make certain you fully understand how the guide hunts; who will be guiding you; what the return hunt policies are; and the guides position on taking smaller bears.
    A few things you might want to remember are; the larger the guide's skull size average on males the lower the success rate and the higher the average number of days hunted per male; hunts on Kodiak are usually longer and in general hunted by different methods than GMU 9; skull sizes on Kodiak average just a little larger than GMU 9 but not enough for it to be a factor in selecting where to hunt.
    Good luck.
    Joe (Ak)
    This is the funniest thing I have read in a LOOOONNNNGGG time! Yep no "famous" guides here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast