Thread: Rhino Winch Install Tips

Default Rhino Winch Install Tips

Last weekend I installed a RT30 Warn winch on my new Rhino. I ran into a couple snags, I thought someone might want to know.

1) Ordered the winch from Motosport.com for a good price with free 2-day Fed-Ex shipping. I jumped the gun and ordered the RT40 before I realized the Warn winch mount you get from Yamaha doesn't have the right holes for the RT40, the holes are spaced farther apart for the larger winch, so make sure the winch mount you get is compatible if you go with the RT40. Motosport was great and let me change the order before it shipped out.

2) Included a pic of where I mounted the remote connection and the switch. I used a rubber bushing to keep the switch wire from rubbing in the hole I drilled.I mounted the contactor on the top side of the glove box under the hood.

3) Warn requires you to tap into a wire that's live when the ignition is on, I used the brown wire coming from the brake pedal, (I assume this is the wire that triggers the brake lights).

4) If you are using the Yamaha mount, use the bolts that come with the mount, not the the ones that come with the winch, you need the length. Even those are a hair short, I had to leave the lock washers off. Longer bolts would be impossible to get in there because of a crossbar that limits the access.

Hope that helps save someone some time, because it ended up taking me longer than I planned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What did you pay for the winch (shipping included)???
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Muddy, I've got an unopened RT30 on craigsl for 300 in anch or wasilla.
    When I have mounted mine I look at the dealer's (where I bought the machine) and study how they mount and route the wiring, then customize as needed.

$360 and free shipping

$360, free shipping

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    $360, free shipping
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/