Thread: .325 WSM, .338 WM, .375 Ruger,.......?

Default .325 WSM, .338 WM, .375 Ruger,.......?

I am looking to buy a new gun for a Moose float hunt in 2009. I own a Savage 99 in .308 (great Blacktail gun) and a BAR in .300 WM (used on most of my Elk and Mule Deer hunts, and one previous Moose hunt). Other than getting a little heavy on long hikes, I love my BAR, but would prefer a bolt action for the float hunt due to weather/cleaning/reliability issues that can result from 10 days in the field, and the possible need for protection from bears. I keep changing my mind on what caliber to go with. I think I have it narrowed to the .325 WSM, .338 WM, and the .375 Ruger. Just looking for any information/suggestions, also considering a possible future trip to hunt for Brown Bear. I don't reload, but have friends that do (always a consideration for the .325 WSM). Any information on calibers/guns would be greatly appreciated.

Default Flip a Coin

You didn't say what you intend to do with your rifle after your moose hunt. The 300 you have now will work just use a premium ammo in the 180-200 grn class.
    But if you just want a new rifle and don't want to reload the 338 WM will put you where you need to be. It has lots of available ammo in different bullet weights, by different manufacturers, and rifles for this caliber are made by a lot of different manufacturers.
    If you are looking at the 325 WSM as a serious candidate, don't leave out the 338 Ruger compact Magnum. It's got the same power just uses 338 bullets, and there are a lot more bullet choices in that caliber,just not much loaded ammo.
    The 375 ruger is a real nice rifle but a little spendy for a one use rifle at about a grand or so. AND, ammo for it isn't everywhere yet either, and is a bit pricey as well.
    ANY of the mentioned calibers, including your present 300WM are more than a match for a swampdonkey. Just practice a lot with your choosen rifle and use proper bullet placement.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Since you don't reload, the 338 Win. Mag. is clearly the right choice. Ten times the amount of factory ammo compared to the 325 WSM and the 375 Ruger.

For a Moose hunt I would say take the 99, but since you want a bolt gun.... There is a new cartridge out that has proven ballistics. It launches a 30 cal 200 grain partition @ 2600 fps, or a 165 grain @ 2850. The ammo is cheap and can be found anywhere. I forget the name though.

I guess since your thinking about brown bear later, the 338WM is probably the most logical choice. Recoil might take some shooting to get used to, but very effective and versatile.

Yeap, the 338 Win Mag is the available almost everywhere at a better price than the 325 WSM (really an 8mm) or the 375 Ruger.
    There is nothing wrong with that 99 for moose hunting.

But as I do every few months, listen to the voices in your head and buy a new shootin iron...

Since you already have a 300 Win Mag you would probably want to jump up further than the 325wsm anyway. Going from a 7.62mm bullet up to a 7.92mm bullet is a pretty short trip.

The 338 Win Mag is plenty powerful and it is very popular. Commonly found ammo can be a blessing.

The 375 Ruger is basically a shortened 375HH loaded fairly hot. It and the 375 HH are great rounds. The Holland and Holland offering is more popular and thus easier to locate ammo. That caliber jump would be substancial.

Then you jump into the 40s and 45 calibers....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks for the information. I was kind of leaning towards the .338 WM., with the availability of ammo and guns. Would it make any difference if I did reload? Or if I was also wanting to hunt sheep/goats in the future? Bigger than the .300 WM would make sense, already owning a .308 and .300. Any other calibers to consider?

Default Gjo with the .375Ruger

I did and can't be happier. It is a dream to carry. The short bbl makes for a bit of muzzle jump but is worth it. Makes my tree stand feel alot bigger. Even going through the brush is easier. My main reason for buying a new gun was after I did a brown bear hunt, .300wm did fine, but they are big animals and just make you feel under gunned. Plus the fact that I don't reload was a bonus. You can't duplicate the balistics anyway and you have three choices from Hornady.

Can't really go by what is popular in the vilages. When we hit king salmon we did a bit of shopping. Never looked for ammo, but did look at general stuff like gas for my stove, they carry it but was not in STOCK. So as long as you pack your stuff in the right bags and do what you gotta do it will arrive with you. The ruger recoil is not bad. I am tall and skinny and handle it just fine.