Thread: Need help locating material

Default Need help locating material

I need to buy material for a raft frame. I have a set of Jack's 19 foot tubes. I need some of that 1.9" aluminum tube material. Does anyone know of a source here in Alaska? 6061 T-6 or 5450?

Thanks for any help.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Are you sure about the 1.9"

Just food for thoought if you plan on making an NRS type of frame your O.D. is a little large if you are using NRS LoPro fittings. If your using Electrical type Fittings I.e. over the cuff then I suppose it makes no difference.

Check with Alaska Steel

http://www.alaskasteel.com/ in Anchorage

Go to C&R Pipe in Fairbanks ask for Dennis tell him I sent you.

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com

P.S. Go with the 6061 Anodized Pipe!!!!! Little more up front but well worth the extra price concerning marking on your tubes as well as overall weight carrying capacity verse bending.

http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=photo&photo_id=373

This is what I had in mind to build. I'm going to mount a 70 hp outboard motor. Yes to the tube size of 1.9". That's what the fittings call for.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Cool

Conduit style of Fitting. Will be a very nice frame when completed.

Best of luck! ;-)

Default fitting issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    http://www.jpwinc.com/index.php?page=photo&photo_id=373

This is what I had in mind to build. I'm going to mount a 70 hp outboard motor. Yes to the tube size of 1.9". That's what the fittings call for.
    Kinda hard to tell what fittings you're using, but I would be very careful to ensure they can handle the torque and strain offered by the weight and power of a 70-horse. You might be surprised what can happen if your frame is not up to snuff.

You're also going to get a lot of spray off the hard mitre on the front of those tubes. The AIRE design works much better for power applications. Take it from a guy who spent lots of time getting soaked while doing R & D work on power cats.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Kinda hard to tell what fittings you're using, but I would be very careful to ensure they can handle the torque and strain offered by the weight and power of a 70-horse. You might be surprised what can happen if your frame is not up to snuff.

You're also going to get a lot of spray off the hard mitre on the front of those tubes. The AIRE design works much better for power applications. Take it from a guy who spent lots of time getting soaked while doing R & D work on power cats.

-Mike
    I agree. Here is a link to the type of fittings I will use.

http://www.budget-fence.com/htm/holl...hollaender.htm

My plans are to be able to mail in three boxes to any village post office (two boxes for the tubes and one box for the frame parts). Rent a motor from along the rivers and fly out to which ever village I mail out too.

I going to use PVC splash guards for the spray and a totally different floor, much lighter.

I have spent a lot of time figuring out this project and believe what I've come up with will be vary versatile.

I have all summer to work out the bugs, as long as I can find a source for the tube material.

Unless AIRE has changed the material used in their tubes I don't think I will give on these Jack tubes. That's why I bought them. Plus the fact they are good to over 7,000 lbs, should be just about right to carry me and the Old Lady (maybe even a sandwich)

Alaska Steel sells both the tubing and the Hollaender fittings. I bought a 20' stick of anodized 1.25" schedule 40 to go with the NRS fittings for $84. I think Hollaender makes fitting for that as well. I believe the 1.5" schedule 40 tubing is the same as the 1.9" OD you're looking for.

Jim King (Ak Series Rafts) used to sell a heavy duty speed rail type fitting that is similar to Hollaender. They had several advantages though, so you might want to call him to take a look. His prices were good too.

I recommend getting anodized aluminum tubing to keep the black corrosion from getting all over everything that rubs against it.

BTW, there's about $400 in fittings for that frame. Also, unless JPW changed something recently, their fabric isn't better than Aire. If anything, it's generally regarded the opposite. Not everyone like the zipper & bladder idea though.