59 76.62%
  • From the tail

5 6.49%
  • I don't need no stinking net!

13 16.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you net a fish?

Default How do you net a fish?

I have allways neted from the head but I am curious how others do it and why?

Head first... ALWAYS!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Head first, it's easier for the fish to propel himself forward than it is to backup, so getting him from the front puts him at an disadvantage. If you go from the tail and they feel the net, POW! They're off.

Definitely the head.....fish don't have a very good reverse gear!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default The most popular...

...Method of netting fish, especially large trophy sized fish, by my friends is the head nock method.

The fisherman will typically set his hook into the fishes mouth, then set down his beer can. The fisherman is then required to yell, GET THE EFFIN NET JOE, twice, to make sure that your fishing buddy (whose name is not Joe BTW) gets the net.

Said fishing buddy then readily awaits until the fish is seen coming towards the boat (shore whatever), then when the fish is just a little out of reach JOE then pokes at the fish with the net, assuring another run to the deep by the fish. This is most likely to occur if the fish is sparcely hooked or is on the large side of trophy status.

Now the fish is approaching the boat for the second time and this time Joe is to wait until the fish is actually within reach (he was scolded and warned that he will have to swim back to camp should he Eff up this net job). Joe has taken the appropriate steps to assure a proper and quick net job, bottom of net is in left hand, his right hand has set down his beer now, and in place of the beer is the end of the net handle. STAB the net goes.

The edge of the net then hits the spot directly where the hook is set in the fish's mouth knocking the hook free from the fish. The fish returns to the deep. Joe wins the biggest fish contest and the 25$ kitty because you successfully netted Joes fish.

This method is called "knock the fish in the head with the net Joe" method and is highly humorous for Joe!

Default Good way to lose a nice fish

If you want to increase the odds of losing your fish, rod, gear and possibly self, go for the tail. I watched a "seasoned" fisher try to net a king from the tail, it was UGLY!.

First, the net got hooked in the tackle, the fish tried to swim out and the netter lunged to try to secure the fish, and was inches from doing a swan dive. Forunately, a buddy was quick to grab his belt and yard him back in.

As already stated, fish don't have reverse. If you put the net in front of them, and get it over their head before they have a chance to turn, you got it.

Good luck

After netting thousands of fish for clients there is only one way to do it IMO. Head first always!!! My technique is to hold the end of the net in my right hand while holding closer to the hoop with my left hand while also loosely holding the bag of the net so it doesn't get tangled in other tackle, boat rigging etc. when the fish is along side of the boat I dip the net into the water and while scooping the fish release my hold on the bag of the net. Never reach for a fish as it's the surest way to lose it. I have see it many times where someone will reach and get the fish part way in the net only to have it slip out backwards leaving the lure caught in the mesh and the fish swimming away.

Default Net nada...

I used to carry a net with me to AK for years. Like the rest of you, I netted head first. I did this in all streams and rivers.

Transporting a net for a commuter angler was a pain in my rear end. I got tired of orchestrating my entire packing around it. Finally, in 1995 I got fed up with net nonsense and deliberately left it hanging in a tree for some other angler to pick up.

I don't regret that call a bit. I bank land my catch, always. Granted, I may lose a few per season, but now I am net free and enjoy being without it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    I used to carry a net with me to AK for years. Like the rest of you, I netted head first. I did this in all streams and rivers.

Transporting a net for a commuter angler was a pain in my rear end. I got tired of orchestrating my entire packing around it. Finally, in 1995 I got fed up with net nonsense and deliberately left it hanging in a tree for some other angler to pick up.

I don't regret that call a bit. I bank land my catch, always. Granted, I may lose a few per season, but now I am net free and enjoy being without it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    I always bank land river fish. It's a pain in the butt to cary a net around.

I also use the bank to land my river fish. In a boat use the net and shoot for the head.

Default netting

to my experience, everytime ive lost a fish due to a net, it is because the people hack at it like an axe, i always get my buddies fish in the net. The best way ive found to net your fish is by starting to come up behind it from about 5 ft (this way your fish doesnt get spooked) and then slowly make your way up to the fish (staying behind it) and put the net in the water flat and put it under your fish then rise with it!!!! (Remember not to rise to fast... then you will just trampoline the fish out!!)

I go head first and hold the bag and everything out of the water until I scoop in one quick motion. I think that the splash scares the fish prompting it to (jump) swim foreward rapidly into my net.

Default ? Huh ?

What's a net?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Unfortunately, I don't net fish...can't seem to catch 'em lately...

Back when I did catch and net fish in the river (from a boat), I'd have the fisherman get the fish upstream of me a ways, then stick the net in the water and have them move the rod, guiding the fish into the net backwards, or if the fish turned to swim off, head first. Never swipe at 'em, and make sure the fish is completely in the net when you lift it out of the water.

Several times I'd forget the net, and just grab 'em by the tail. If shore fishing, I'd generally just beach 'em. Hoping to get out and try to get some practice the next couple days.

Talking Stinking net

I dont net my reds or silvers at all. I just get em turned and run them up the bank and give them so good love with the fish club. Now when netting one of my wifes beautiful bows I do put the net below the fish and leave it in the water. She will then turn the fish and he usually just glides in after a good fight. Now when the wife is netting my fish it can be a free for all. She has lost some good fish but heck she is trying. I get a kick out of listening to her as she gets frustrated. She tried the "JOE" method once, I had to sit her down and explain in the loving husband way to never do the s*&t again. She got the point. We dont net to many fish out of the raft as if we hook them on the drift I just pull over to let her play them and net them. I do use my rubber net, wet hands, and take good care of those beautiful babies
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I dont net my reds or silvers at all. I just get em turned and run them up the bank and give them so good love with the fish club. Now when netting one of my wifes beautiful bows I do put the net below the fish and leave it in the water. She will then turn the fish and he usually just glides in after a good fight. Now when the wife is netting my fish it can be a free for all. She has lost some good fish but heck she is trying. I get a kick out of listening to her as she gets frustrated. She tried the "JOE" method once, I had to sit her down and explain in the loving husband way to never do the s*&t again. She got the point. We dont net to many fish out of the raft as if we hook them on the drift I just pull over to let her play them and net them. I do use my rubber net, wet hands, and take good care of those beautiful babies

Excuse the ignorance, but what's the joe method?

Jon

Usually head first.
    But while I was living in Colorado, I did quite a bit of tail first. I did allot of catch and release fishing and I found at times that coming in head first freaked out the fish, of which at times caused premature release...loosing my hardware/flies with the fish I fished very light tackle.

So I'd have to say it's an on the spot judgment call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    ...Method of netting fish, especially large trophy sized fish, by my friends is the head nock method.

The fisherman will typically set his hook into the fishes mouth, then set down his beer can. The fisherman is then required to yell, GET THE EFFIN NET JOE, twice, to make sure that your fishing buddy (whose name is not Joe BTW) gets the net.

Said fishing buddy then readily awaits until the fish is seen coming towards the boat (shore whatever), then when the fish is just a little out of reach JOE then pokes at the fish with the net, assuring another run to the deep by the fish. This is most likely to occur if the fish is sparcely hooked or is on the large side of trophy status.

Now the fish is approaching the boat for the second time and this time Joe is to wait until the fish is actually within reach (he was scolded and warned that he will have to swim back to camp should he Eff up this net job). Joe has taken the appropriate steps to assure a proper and quick net job, bottom of net is in left hand, his right hand has set down his beer now, and in place of the beer is the end of the net handle. STAB the net goes.

The edge of the net then hits the spot directly where the hook is set in the fish's mouth knocking the hook free from the fish. The fish returns to the deep. Joe wins the biggest fish contest and the 25$ kitty because you successfully netted Joes fish.

This method is called "knock the fish in the head with the net Joe" method and is highly humorous for Joe!

This is the joe method
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Probably just as critical as a headfirst technique is cooperation between the rod-man and the net-man.

The rod-man must lead the fish toward the netter with the rod tip low and to the side so as to "steer" the fish with maximum efficiency. Pulling straight up with a high rod position only encourages a fish to thrash wildly on the surface, and seriously hampers your ability to "steer" it... it'll simply just have its way with you, unnecessarily prolonging the time needed to get it in the net.

The net-man should not go for the scoop until the fish is listing over on its side. He should simply advance the open hoop in front of the fish's nose. There is absolutely no need to chase the fish with the bag.

The instant the pectoral fins clear the hoop, the rod-man should immediately drop the rod tip to release all tension on the line. (A terse reminder from the net-man to "drop him" never hurts at that point!). The fish will instinctively bolt for the bottom of the bag.

Now its just a matter of closing the bag around the prize by drawing straight back on the net parallel to the axis of the net handle. DO NOT SCOOP UPWARD as if shoveling dirt or scooping sugar out of a bowl. That only gives the thrashing fish the opportunity to jump out of the open bag!

To watch a seasoned/calm/collected netter is truly a sight to behold. To watch an excited rookie botch the netjob on the fish of a lifetime just makes you cringe!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

All I can say is to NEVER have anyone you don't know net a fish for ya. Lost the biggest king I had on last year due to some idot trying to net it...I was a little bummed to say the least.

Head first all the way. I tell the person netting when I'm gonna heave it up when it feels right. Nets do have the tendancy to grab the hook and not the fish if you don't know what your doing. River fishin'...use the bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast