Thread: Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke questions

Default Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke questions

So on the Kenai river You can run a 50 hp 4 stroke anything but what 50 hp 2 strokes are allowed what brand? Is there a new Yamaha 2 stroke that can be run on the Kenai ? Thanks

Default 2 2 strokes

In the month of July you can run the Tohatsu (spelling) or the E-tech only in the two stroke model. other wise it is four stroke only in the month of July. In May, June, August and September you can run any 35 hp two stroke. But if you have a four stroke, Tohatsu or the Etech you can run up to a 50 hp.
    I haven't heard any thing about a new clean 2 stroke.

Sorry I'm all over the place.

KB

Your 50 hp 2 stroke is not legal on the Kenai. 35 horse is the max for 2 strokes. No 2 strokes will be allowed on the river in July.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

The two previous posts are spot on.

If you want to use a two stroke in any month, except July, it must be 35hp or less.

If you want to run anything above 35hp, it must be a 4 stroke or a direct injected 2 stroke, of which there are currently only two models, the Tohatsu or Evinrudes E-Tech.

I doubt Yamaha will be developing a "clean technology" two stroke as it seems their main focus across the board (outboards, snowmobiles, motor cycles, etc...) is on 4 stroke technology, but you never know.

Default 2 Strkes in July

According to the regs you can run a 2 stroke on the lower river below the bridge but not while fishing i.e. dip netting. This was apparently set up to allow the fishing boats with 2 stroke tenders to run back and forth to their larger fishing boats. If I recall correctly the wording is that the boat has to be powered by a 4 stroke while fishing is being conducted.

It appears while you would have to be power from a 4 stroke while the nets are in the water you could perhaps go back up river under your large 2 stroke i.e. while you are not actually fishing.

I'd like to see a clarification on this before i buy a 4 stroke kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    Your 50 hp 2 stroke is not legal on the Kenai. 35 horse is the max for 2 strokes. No 2 strokes will be allowed on the river in July.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I would ask before In tried to fish on a 4 stroke, but run on a 2 stroke below the bridge. You could be setting your self up for and ugly meeting. They could get the rubber glove out.

I could see them checking every little thing on your boat. Lights, horn etc. If it is wired on a boat the chances of it working is 70%

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    According to the regs you can run a 2 stroke on the lower river below the bridge but not while fishing i.e. dip netting. This was apparently set up to allow the fishing boats with 2 stroke tenders to run back and forth to their larger fishing boats. If I recall correctly the wording is that the boat has to be powered by a 4 stroke while fishing is being conducted.

It appears while you would have to be power from a 4 stroke while the nets are in the water you could perhaps go back up river under your large 2 stroke i.e. while you are not actually fishing.

I'd like to see a clarification on this before i buy a 4 stroke kicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    Here's a link to the page in the 2008 AK Sport Fishing Reg Summary booklet that addresses horsepower restrictions:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...enaiGuides.pdf

What i did not state in my first post was that 50 hp 2 strokes that are DFI can be used on the Kenai - Tohatsu and Evinrude make DFI 2 strokes; Yamaha, however, does not.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Thank You for your time. It is exactly what i was looking for.

...and after reading the horsepower restrictions paragraph that i linked to above, i see that the TOTAL hp cannot exceed 50 hp. So if you have a 50 hp main and a 10 hp kicker, you would be illegal. I didn't pick up on that detail initially.