Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line

Default Braided line

Hello everyone, let me start out by introducing myself. I'm 17 and have been fishing my whole life. I just moved to Alaska last august and caught some nice silvers in willow and a bunch of silvers and chum up in clear creek up in talkeetna. I am a very experienced fishermen but this is my first king season.

Now to the question.

I have been using braided line for the past two years for largemouth, and I even used it during silver season last year. Now why is everyone against it during combat season. I used it for drifting eggs last weekend on the ninilchick and had no problems. (No fish either ) If I am not going to use my 80lb power pro for kings what do you guys recommend I use?

Cool

I've been using braid the last 5 years and love it. I still use it since moving up here and i use it down at ship/combat fishing. Just make sure ya give the bait guys plenty of room, thats where the nightmare tangles will come in. If its just a bunch of guys beating the water with spoons/vibrax pay attention to who cast where, find your lane and get in sync with everyone else. Just an "outsiders" humble opinion

Joe

Default Another Take

I too have been fishing all my life. I've been here 3 years and have been using Fireline for almost 15 yrs and now PowerPro for the last 2 years. The "in sync" thing works both ways. I can't tell you how many times I have been in the water and there were several of us pitching lures and someone will get right in the middle of us and start drifting his line right thru where everyone is casting and there is plenty of room up at either end. Basically just plain rude. I think that is "the problem" much more than what kind of line someone is using. We all have seen "the guy" who you know is intentionally looking to piss someone off, or the "Mad Line Cutter". Common curtsey and just plain manners would make for a much more pleasant experience if people would just use them. I bought a boat last year, and it's the same thing with boats. People going to fast, gunning their motors when they still have 10 boats to go by who are fishing and hitting them with wake. Some of it is nature of the beast and ALOT of it is just plain and simple a lack of manners! Just my .02...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I have been in the water and there were several of us pitching lures and someone will get right in the middle of us and start drifting his line right thru where everyone is casting and there is plenty of room up at either end. Basically just plain rude. I think that is "the problem" much more than what kind of line someone is using. We all have seen "the guy" who you know is intentionally looking to piss someone off, or the "Mad Line Cutter". .
    Welcome to combat fishing in Alaska. That's why most of us that have been here for awhile seek out the less crowded areas...
    As to braided lines, if you are in a crowded area, just plan on having your line cut. I have been caught up in massive tangles with braided lines even when the person with braid was 4 or 5 people down the line.....the only way to untangle was to cut lines. The amount of time it takes your line out of the water and the other person's line...well, after about the 2nd or 3rd time of massive tangles, you will have alot of people pissed off. I have caught plenty of Kings on 30lb mono. You just don't need braided line, and the cons outweigh the pros. If you are dragging the river bottom for a dead body, that's different.
    It's good that you are asking....like everything else, all you need is the right technique.

Default braid in combat

[quote=ChevyFisher;279809]Hello everyone, let me start out by introducing myself. I'm 17 and have been fishing my whole life. I just moved to Alaska last august and caught some nice silvers I am a very experienced fishermen but this is my first king season.////////////////// some guys like braid i dont like it for red fishing when i cast/flip i hold the rod with my rite hand and pinch the line with my left hand i guess im afraid of cuting my hand, also it does tangle worse than mono. it is good for long casting though.most guides use it now for kings.

Power Pro braid in the 40 - 50lb range is my go to line for bobber & eggs when fishing for Kings. However, braid does not mix well in a combat line-up when most other anglers are using mono. Non-combat sections of the river are fine to use this line.

Default Opinions

akseakayaker,
    I hear what you are saying, BUT, "you just don't need braided line", that's your opinon. I happen to like, I don't "need" an XH rod, but that's what I like, I don't "need" an Abu Record. You can take this kind of stuff as far as you like. I have had tangles using powerpro, and not my fault that the tangle happened, and knowing that it is going to happen, if everyone just relaxes, it all works out just fine. I suppose it's not any different of what brand of gun/boat/rod/reel you like, as most people have one form of brand loyalty or another, because you don't think someone "needs" it, it's not your call. I'm not saying any of this with an attitude or being disrespectful, I'm saying that when people start making sweeping conclusions based on their own personal experiences and then deciding what others should do, it leads to confrontation. Like when you say the cons outweigh the pros, that's your opinion, I think the exact oposite. I've been using Fireline for years and years, it's the most sensetive line I have ever used, I also don't loose snagges lures etc...and the list goes on and on. I'm sure you have your stories that support your thoughts. To me, it's not different when a fellow sportsman says "you don't need an AR-15" well that's their opinion. It all comes back to common curtesy and manners IMHO.

I agree with whats already been said...it can just be a pain in crowded waters. Not exactly ideal for combat fishing.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Wink akseakayaker has it right

akseakayaker has it completely right. Combat (ie Sockeye) fishing --> leave your braided line at home. Tangles with your neighbors are 10x worse, and if you fish long enough you'll wear the skin right off your thumb.

Halibut reels, King Salmon reels (back bouncing etc) --> use braided all you want, perfect application

Personally, though, for sockeye fishing, everyone ought to eventually migrate to a flyrod with floating line...but that's just the Master's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    akseakayaker,
    I hear what you are saying, BUT, "you just don't need braided line", that's your opinon. I happen to like, I don't "need" an XH rod, but that's what I like, I don't "need" an Abu Record. You can take this kind of stuff as far as you like. I have had tangles using powerpro, and not my fault that the tangle happened, and knowing that it is going to happen, if everyone just relaxes, it all works out just fine. I suppose it's not any different of what brand of gun/boat/rod/reel you like, as most people have one form of brand loyalty or another, because you don't think someone "needs" it, it's not your call. I'm not saying any of this with an attitude or being disrespectful, I'm saying that when people start making sweeping conclusions based on their own personal experiences and then deciding what others should do, it leads to confrontation. Like when you say the cons outweigh the pros, that's your opinion, I think the exact oposite. I've been using Fireline for years and years, it's the most sensetive line I have ever used, I also don't loose snagges lures etc...and the list goes on and on. I'm sure you have your stories that support your thoughts. To me, it's not different when a fellow sportsman says "you don't need an AR-15" well that's their opinion. It all comes back to common curtesy and manners IMHO.

Hear, hear. I'm in total agreement with what you wrote. It gets real old telling people that the only way to do something is your way and then giving a list of why it's the only way.

For all the people that understand the word freedom, but can't seem to allow that freedom to others, lighten up.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I agree a fly rod with floating line is the most user friendly when flipping for reds. Don't have to worry about the stripped line getting caught on a the reel handle of a spinning or bait casting set up. Plus your hands won't take a beating.

Default Clarification

I am speaking of King fishing. I have not done the combat for silvers, I see what you are saying if everyone is flipping. I don't mean to sound like a dork, but it's still the same principle with regards to manners. These fish up here seem to make people absolutely crazy. It just seems like rudness is the flavor of the day. Not everyone, but there's way too much of it and it ruins the fun for many. How bout the guy who can only afford a Wal-Mart special rod combo, he has just as much right to fish right next to the guy who has a $900.00 G-Loomis and $400.00 waders. There is a lot of preceived "Entitlement" on and in the water based on the price of someone's equipment. And you know what, 95 percent of my experiences since I've been here have been very positive. I guess my hackels go up when ever I hear someone say "you don't need", again referencing gun control, remember...you don't need a gun that fires 15 rounds, "we" think 10 rounds is plenty...you can apply that same principle to any facet or topic of society you want. So, I'll get off my soap box now and end this one. Take care!

Flipping in combat areas with braided is just looking for trouble. You're basically saying you don't care about those fishing around you. You will get tangled up with mono fishermen whether it's your fault or not and it's most often a royal pain in unravel. If you think otherwise you're kidding yourself. The mono line gets the worst of tangles with braided. Not a case of "lighten-up”… it’s about common courtesy. I've seen many cut braided line off their tangle without thinking about it. I have 2 float reels setup with braided but I wouldn’t dream of fishing it in combat areas. I suppose it's "freedom" too if you use winged bobbers in combat zones? Sorry…freedom isn't without responsibility. Not telling you what to do...just asking you to consider others fishing around you. Want to fish braided...go find yourself a piece of water with some spacing.

Default I love braid also

but I wont use it in combat zones. I believe there are no cons to braided line except for the tangles with other lines. Which for me rarely happen unless in a combat zone.

The tangles are horrendous. If I get tangled with braid at Willow creek and if I see that the tangle is manageable I am more than glad to lend a hand and I am a self proclaimed expert at untangling lines but if it is a mess which 9 out 10 it is I wont bother. cut my own line and just collect my hardware and pass the mess to the braid user. There is little else one can do. I will have my gear tied back up in around a minute. It is just not worth the time to fool around with the braid.

For me braid has more than paid for itself in saved gear. This is about a 7 foot snag I pulled out with braid last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Unhappy Geez,

I guess I touched a nerve just answering the poor kid's question. I mean, after all, he did say "What do you guy's think"??? Or did I read that wrong???

And, Stan, sorry to say, but when you are in a massive throng of people, then individual 'freedoms' kinda get chucked out the window compared to the 'common good'. After all, we don't all go running around in public naked, do we? (I know if I did, greenpeace would show up and start tryin' to 'roll me back in')

When ship creek gets too busy, for instance, even though I would prefer to catch a king on the fly rod, I leave it at home to be considerate of my fellow fisherman. Sure, it's my 'freedom' to fish with whatever I want, but why use that rod when I know darn certain that some mishap is going to happen when someone sidles up on my right during a backcast? It is just, in my opinion, not courteous to the other fisherman. After all, that was the question on the post, "What do you guys think".
    I am sure that the poster is a smart kid and will weigh what everyone has to say, then exercise is 'right to choose' and make his own decision.

I certainly wasn't pro-offering my opinion without being asked, and in all candor, for you to get so defensive is pretty silly. I wasn't being antagonistic when I quoted you and wrote 'welcome to combat fishing'...and offer my apologies if that is how you took it. I definitely can see benefit to braided line....but in a 'combat fishing' environment, which is getting harder and harder to get away from, even in places like the Kustatan, it simply creates more headaches for the masses than it solves for the individual fisherman. Again, my opinion.

I've been in Alaska more than a few years, never experienced combat fishing yet. If the place I park has someone else in it, It's time to move on to the next spot.

I'm a fly fisher and I want to be alone when I beat the water to a froth. I do not like contest fishing, I only compete with myself. Bouncing a fly off the rocks, I don't need any help and I can do without the grief from others in combat fishing, the idea does not spell Alaska for me. But then I lost the urge to stand in lines when I got out of the Army (about a hundred years ago)

I'm happy not to have to take a number, or rent a rock to stand on. But that is just me. I have been happy missing out. I will not miss all the wonderful pleasures of combat free fishing affords me.

The stories, I do enjoy about the trouble others have when they enjoy those great magic moments.

FISH ON!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Talking Al,

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I've been in Alaska more than a few years, never experienced combat fishing yet. If the place I park has someone else in it, It's time to move on to the next spot.

I'm a fly fisher and I want to be alone when I beat the water to a froth.
    FISH ON!
    I couldn't agree more.

That's why I wrote earlier

"That's why most of us that have been here for awhile seek out the less crowded areas...

Default Me Too...

Akseakayaker, I didn't mean for the post to sound defensive and I didn't take offense. You raise many good and valid points that perhaps I hadn't considered. Most all who post on here are trying to be helpful, including me and it's a place for us all to share and enjoy our sport. That's why I said "off my soap box and end it" because it was starting to go in a direction I didn't mean for it to go. Like I said, I haven't done the flipping thing for silvers or reds and I see your point. With regards to kings, there are places I won't go anymore because of the way people act in general. It bothered me so much I bought a boat, WHICH IS WONDERFUL!! Anyway, no hard feelings here, just like politics, it's good to have a hardy debate and bat things around. I'm just looking forward to my next king, caught 32lb hen on Memorial Day (Deshka) and a smaller one last Thursday (Little Su). Take care!!
    Stanly

If I am flipping "combat style" I tie a 30-foot 30 lb mono onto the main braided line. This ensures that while flipping only the mono line is in the water. When a fish is hooked the braided line will be spooled out. This way the problem of line tangles will be minimized.

Default 10 years

I have used braided line for 10 years on the creeks and have never had any problems with other fisherpersons. The number one thing when fishing "combat" style is courtousy!!! Yes I have tangled a few times, but I was and will be the first to cut my line. With as many opportunities as I have to go fish the creeks I fell that it is only fair. Who knows maybe the guy that just threw on my line and then jerked us into a tangel may only have that one day to fish this great state of ours. I would say though, that in all the years of fishing braided line, I have only had to cut my line on average of 2 or 3 times a year. If you are paying attention you can control the outcome of tangeling or not! Watch out for the guide eyes when fishing silty water with braided line. Ceramic eyes seem to last longer than any others. The silt embeds in the line and will turn it into a sandpaper like srting which will gnaw its way through metal eyes.
    One thing I have learned is with all the opportunities we residents have to fish this states great resources year round, it is not worth the hassell to cause others (or myself) any heartaches. If I miss the school on 1 tide trying to avoid tangeling with my mono lined counterparts so what, there's always another tide!
    So now that I have preached my "combat courtousey" rant, good luck and set the hook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast