Thread: Might have found the jerk who stole my shrimp pot from Barlow Cove.

Default Might have found the jerk who stole my shrimp pot from Barlow Cove.

This is only a guess, but I think it was Free Willy's buddies. I have been thinking things over and I don't think there was a likely hood that it just floated off. Plus there were two other pots in the area that were not touched, so theives seemed unlikely. Well this weekend I was setting pots in the same area and there were at least three Humpback whales doing a race trap pattern around the cove. Sure looked like they were getting awful close to everyones pots. Just a thought, but I bet there is a good chance that they have run into at least one persons line.

Default pot loss

Yeah,thievery is blamed for a lot of things,
    I believe. whales, drifting seaweed or debris,also sometimes line gets caught on bottom at low tide.Sometimes the bouy will pop up in a few days.Check back when you're in the area.
    I've had "lost" pots show up 3 weeks later.GPS is great!

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post
    Yeah,thievery is blamed for a lot of things,
    I believe. whales, drifting seaweed or debris,also sometimes line gets caught on bottom at low tide.Sometimes the bouy will pop up in a few days.Check back when you're in the area.
    I've had "lost" pots show up 3 weeks later.GPS is great!
    I've been checking that spot over and over during low tide. No luck yet.

I would punish the culprit! No krill for you today

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default weight

for the guys with pot pullers why dont you run more weight on the end of the pot line? not sure what the pullers are rated at but a 25 pound weight would stop any kind of seaweed drift. use floating line for the first 100 feet to go out would help with tangling of the bottom. if i had hundreds of dollars invested in pots id be making sure they were going to stay put to the best my ability. good luck with the whales not sure what you could do there.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    for the guys with pot pullers why dont you run more weight on the end of the pot line? not sure what the pullers are rated at but a 25 pound weight would stop any kind of seaweed drift. use floating line for the first 100 feet to go out would help with tangling of the bottom. if i had hundreds of dollars invested in pots id be making sure they were going to stay put to the best my ability. good luck with the whales not sure what you could do there.
    I had a good amount of weight on that pot. Even if it had gotten pulled out into the channel, I had enough line that it should have still been visible.

Id set up a 50 cal mount on your bow and wait for the culprit

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Id set up a 50 cal mount on your bow and wait for the culprit
    "And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon he would have shot his heart upon it." - Jean Luc Picard