Thread: Seward or Homer tomorrow?

Default Seward or Homer tomorrow?

Hey guys,

I just got lucky. Im not working for a week! I found out a couple of hours ago. I want to leave tomorrow morning and stay until thursday, maybe friday.

My plans are to fish first, then take in the scenery. There are 3 main areas I wanted to see while here.

Valdez, Homer and Seward.

Initially I was gonna hit Homer, but I emailed Homerdave and he said the action isnt 'hot' quite yet.

So my second option is Seward.

Does anyone have any clue whats happening there? Akfun (Jeff) gave me an awesome break down of the area for a shore fisherman like me but was hoping to get some current info.
    Are there kings in the lagoon yet? Creeks or rivers?

Any info, as in 'anything' would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Jonathan

Default kings

soda i heard 2 weeks a go there were some kings in the hole on the spit from a freind that lives in homer...

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    soda i heard 2 weeks a go there were some kings in the hole on the spit from a freind that lives in homer...
    Really? Man, Im having such a dilemma here! Where to go!! Its a good problem to have though.

Homerdave said it was not 'hot' but maybe Ill get lucky. My girlfriend Rose after the halibut trip said she only wants to catch 'small fishies' from now on, so the end of the spit might be good for her.

Anything about Seward?

Wait til she hooks a good king...

I think the end of August, first of Sept is the best time for Valdez Silvers, if I remember right...not much going on there now.

Never fished Seward.

If you go to Homer, you can stop at Clam Gulch; supposed to be great clamming tides this week. You can also hit the Kasilof again, and the Fishing hole on the Spit. I think Deep Creek and Ninilchik are weekend only now.

Even a little king ain't exactly a "small fishie" though.

Might consider heading to the Parks Hiway streams (Willow, Montana, Goose, Sheep) and try for grayling and rainbows...and mebbe some early kings.

Default realy

yep he said there were kings in there. why dont you try kasilof river also....silvers will be hot in seward in about 4-5 weeks good luck man ....

Default Beach at Happy Valley

Was really snotty today; caught seaweed and asst. crapola with every cast. Ascent and descent were also challenging due to mud and rain, but if you head this way tomorrow and want to check it out lemme know and we'll try it. On the other hand, it ain't going anywhere, either. We're going clamming in the morning but I'll be around all afternoon.

Matt
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by meat_purveyor View Post
    Was really snotty today; caught seaweed and asst. crapola with every cast. Ascent and descent were also challenging due to mud and rain, but if you head this way tomorrow and want to check it out lemme know and we'll try it. On the other hand, it ain't going anywhere, either. We're going clamming in the morning but I'll be around all afternoon.

Matt
    Hey Matt,

I really want to go clamming and thats what kept me thinking about HOmer since its on the way.

My biggest dilemma is that Homer, and the road to Homer have better chances at kings, but Homer is SO darn expensive!
    At least in Seward there are these $50 cabins with no running water. I want a cabin because its most likely going to rain. If not, Id be happy in a tent.

Ive got your phone number so Ill contact you if I head down.
    What time are you going clammin?

Still thinking...

Default Clamming is fun!

9, 9:30 at Ninilchik beach. I believe dead low tide is 10:35. I Just take the turn off for the road through the village and it dumps you right on the beach. Call me and/or e-mail and we can meet up.

i'll be clamming too, near the 3 rocks N of ninilchick.
    look for a guy in hippers w/ a stainless shovel, be 3 kids and my wife with me.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Ninilchik

I'll be clamming also tomorrow morning. I just pulled in today after 5,200+ miles getting here. I can't wait to wet a line down this way. We got into some grayling and pike up in Fairbanks, but only spent 2 nights there. Now the 'reel' fun begins.

I might be interested in fishing thursday. Homer is not that far from here. Let me know if that day works.

Default Hey, Biscuit!

The clams say they missed you down this way this AM!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default mebbe..

..I should start a new thread - but can you go into a little detail about how you take care of your clams?

I know how I do it, but there might be a better way.

Do you take all of the seaweed out of the tastier portion of the clam? (more tender portion - I don't remember for sure, but I think that it is the digger - not the siphon).

Default here's

Default Bullekkir,

That's exactly how I do it. Only I have found the boiling water to be unnecessary.

Default Cleaning razor clams

I clammed for the first time today. I took 40 home since I heard they were a pain to clean. Some were pretty good sized. anyway.... it's not hard cleaning them, just time consuming. I may go for a limit next time.

The rv park owner showed me how to do it. they shuck them instead of using the boiling water. I separated the foot from the neck. Pulled out the 2 abductor muscles. They referred to them as the 'buttons'. Cut the tip off and opened the neck up. Remove any of the brown gills. On the foot cut off the bump at an angle. Open up the foot and remove anything brown. Used a pair of scissors for most of it and a paring knife to shuck and remove the brown mess from the foot.

Save the shells to make wind chimes to sell to other tourists or shave with the shells since that's what they make razors out of, hence the name.

Well? Did you make it out??

I ended up in Seward today instead of Homer area.

Seeing Meat with a LARGE bowl of clams makes me think I made a mistake .

Ill survive.

We chose Seward instead because we didnt want to spend too much money on a hotel/cabin in Homer.
    Fished lots of places in Seward today from 11am until 9pm and caught NOTHING!! No worries. I really enjoyed the day. Great place to visit.

no clams though! lol

Well, the tides are good until saturday right? Ive got sooo much work to do though...IM JUST KIDDING!!! HA!!

No worries, Biscuit. Great clam tides coming up July 1-6.

Default Trust these guys!

I would have gone for the clams and shucked Seward. Razor clams are just awesome to eat!

These forum regulars are all pulling for you, Soda...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"