Thread: ? on non-res moose hunt

Default ? on non-res moose hunt

I have recently moved to alaska and I have a friend interested in hunting for moose near anchorage. More specifically, he mentioned the ft rich moose hunt.

I will do some research, but maybe someone has a quick answer - -

Are there any non-resident special draw moose hunts right around anchorage?

Default by the time you apply you'll be a resident!

fall '08 moose drawings closed at the end of May dude...the positive is the new drawing suppliment will be out May 1 2009 and you'll be a resident then...save the $400 for gas.

The draws around Anchorage are not limited by resident status, so your friend could apply. As already stated, though, the draw period just ended. Next opportunity will be next May. There are areas nearby that can be hunted with an over-the-counter tag, but success rates are generally lower and pressure is higher.

Default not for me

and also not for next year, but the following. I will have to dig into the regulations - the thickness indicates that it will be a fun learning experience (I thought Colorado had lots of black ink on white pages

At least I have a year to study up on the regs.

I did get my DL on May 27th so that I could put in next year as a resident - - I Want a sheep in a bad way with my bow - - I will probably need to get some more work to keep me here to get it done though!

Default Archery or mussleloader

I believe all of the hunts on Ft. Rich are either archery or muzzleloader. Either way, you need to be certified in whichever technique applies before you apply. If they are not already certified, you will want to have your friend get certified ahead of time if he wants to hunt in that area.

Exclamation residency and drivers license...

getting a DL will do nothing to "establish" residency.
    F&G's requirement is 12 consecutive months of residing in the state with intent to stay. after that you can leave for as long as you want , as long as you do not claim residency in any other state.
    note that F&G's requirements are not the same as for the PFD... the PFD mandates a full calender year, jan 1 thru dec 31.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I believe all of the hunts on Ft. Rich are either archery or muzzleloader. Either way, you need to be certified in whichever technique applies before you apply. If they are not already certified, you will want to have your friend get certified ahead of time if he wants to hunt in that area.
    In addition you need to prove hunter ed to obtain a military cert also.

Talking oh man...

i bet the military hunter ed requirement trumps the states age exemption, huh?
    and i an DEFINATELY winning one of those tags...<grin>
    better reserve a space in a class....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Dave, if you win one, I've got a spare bedroom for you. All it'll cost you is a hind quarter, a backstrap, and a tenderloin.

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i bet the military hunter ed requirement trumps the states age exemption, huh?
    Yep, they require hunter ed for all hunters, regardless of age. I think just about any hunter ed class counts, but you need to have proof that you can show them at the orientation prior to the hunt. It's a good thing to have anyway since other hunts are starting to require it more and more, especially out of state.

Default Okay.

He wants to hunt muzzie.

You have to have a place of residence and be residing here to get an alaska drivers license - it is one of the pre-requisites of getting a DL.

I am and I do and I will be .... a resident when I apply for MY RESIDENT licenses next year. No worry there - I police myself. I packed up my houses in the lower 48, rented one out, and the other is on the market now for rental - - we are making the 'big jump'. I have a 2.5 year contract with the state here in alaska and my "intent" is to take advantage of the opportunity here in alaska from a business and a hunting/fishing perspective....and live here till they put me in the ground.

Thanks for the information - I will research the regs and pass it on.