Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subduing Halibut

Default Subduing Halibut

OK, I was just telling a guy about a 150lb halibut my buddy caught a couple of weeks ago and the lesson they learned was "shoot it before you bring it in the boat" we laughed and he says to me, if you cover them with a towel they will instantly chill out. He says he does it all the time, he supposedly did it in front of some guys who have been fishin butt for 25 years. Anyone heard of this? He swears it's true. Just cover them with a wet towel and they think they're back on the bottom. So all you old timers out there talk to me...

what's the fun in that? Most of the fun with big halibut is bashing it with a bat or shooting it when it gets to the surface!

I won't ever shoot another until I get a harpoon point in them. But a .22 pistol has always worked for me.

That is interesting about the towel. I always take along a crying towel for when I bo-low.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default commercial

fishing the 24 hour openers we would keep them white side up on deck. when we hauled them up to the cleaning table they generally stayed calm and we were quick to cut, yank and scrape without getting them all riled up. if one started to tense a bit some good old tummy rubbin calmed them right down before the knife took over. we had a 30,000 pound hole so we went through alot of halibut and we delt with some bigg uns too. of course in MY boat they are dispatched BEFORE they come aboard usually with a 22 pistol and a soak. drag behind by the tail while im pulling up the anchor for good mesure.

Smile How about rum?

Last year out of deep creek the guide sprayed rum in the gills the Butt went limp It was so cool The guide told me he learned this from tuna fisherman from Hawaii !!

yep...where's the fun in that? I've never heard of the towel-method.

But, do you want to risk being wrong...especially on a small boat, or even on a larger boat with other people on deck? Years ago, I worked as crew on a longlinger during a derby opener for halibut. The most "dangerous" fish on deck were the ones between 60-120 pounds, IMO. They can really flop and kick and I had a major bruise on my leg for a week or so to prove it. While the monsters can still flop around, I think, due to their large size, that they have a harder time supporting their own weight out of water...it was the mid-size fish you had to watch out for. We never shot any back then, but we'd be all over the mid-size fish with a louisville slugger as soon as they hit the deck.

I always carry my 44mag when sport fishing for halibut...but only felt the need to shoot one time. That's probably not the best gun. If you're going to do much halibut fishing, I think the preferred gun may be a short-barreled .410 shotgun with birdshot loads. A stainless barrel might be best given the obvious exposure to salt...and you'll be shooting them at point-blank range.

What's just as important (if not more important than a gun) is a good harpoon that you can tie off to a cleat or let run on a bouy (but I prefer cleating). With a good harpoon shot, you can just let the fish tire themselves out...outside the boat...before bringing them in.

Default Right in the head

The trick I learned from a buddy that longlines is to smack them right above the top edge of the gill plate. He said it doesn't matter what size, one smack in that spot and they are done. a couple weeks later we hauled a 130lber into the boat and I whacked it once in that spot and it immediately went stiff and the brown/green side bleach out. I've used that trick on multiple large halibut since then and it works everytime.

Do not spray the rum on thier gills!! Pour it in me! Rum on the gills would get them drunk in an instant. I hope some one does that for me when i am going to cack

The damp towel trick has worked for me many times.

Recently I've kept a cheap plastic bottle of vodka on board, one quick squirt into the mouth or gills before hauling on board chills them right out, then the damp towel over their head as a precaution as I go to bleed the fish.

Default Ban Stick

Last weekend one of the boats I was with hit a big halibut with a harpon and the crimp broke and the fish got away. To bad for both the fisherman and the dead halibut. I use a 38/357mag bang stick. I kill it first and then harpon it second. Over the last 30 years I have tried just about every way you can think of to get them in the boat and the bang stick rules. I have never lost a large halibut that I have used the stick on. Harpons can break and come back out. I lost any very large halibut in 93 which was over 9ft long. I hit it with a harpon and had a float line attatch to it. It ran the float out about 30 ft and stopped. The next thing I new the float disappeared and then shot out of the water about 10ft in the air. I gave either a large shark or a killer whale the biggest halibut that I had ever seen. On the harpon line keep it short never give a big fish room to build up speed before she hits the end of the line.

410 to the head and harpoon.......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default snake charmer

snake charmer and a a heavy duty fish bonker. Nothing else needed.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    410 to the head and harpoon.......
    The one two combination always worked for me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I like to bore them to death by playing them Kramer reruns!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LufkinMike View Post
    Last year out of deep creek the guide sprayed rum in the gills the Butt went limp It was so cool The guide told me he learned this from tuna fisherman from Hawaii !!
    Man, I can't believe how much easier that would be than what I've been doing. I used to keep a couple of shot glasses on board with a bottle of Jack. Would drink the halibut under the table and when it was about to doze off I'd shoot it. Those things can drink like a fish.

Default "Bang Stick"

Any suggestions as to where to by a "bank stick"? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I checeded with _ & _ and they seem a little high high priced.

"But why is the Rum gone?" Captain Jack

Never had any issues with using a .44. We would shoot them then gaffe them. Never lost one that way. Thanks for all the different techniques to try and use.

I'm waiting for the story of the guy who got the halibut in the boat and then shot it to finish it off thus putting a hole in the floor of the boat. There has got to be one ot two of these stories out there somewhere.

My general rule is 50 lbs + it gets shot before it comes onboard. .357 shoulder holster (loaded with 38 wad cutters for fish). Harpoon and tail-loop to help haul it in (100+ lbers) and then tied head-to-tail just incase - plus it makes a great "handle".
    Has worked well for me dealing with some "Big Ones" over the years solo, including a 262 lber.
    Gun has multiple uses so it has been a very economical investment for me.

Towel doesn't need to be wet. Put anything over thier eyes, a hand, towel, etc, and they will chill out like a horse will if you cover thier eyes. It only works for a while though. I use a bat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast