Thread: Almost, almost

Default Almost, almost

I was working up 100 7mm-08 rounds today for an upcoming sheep hunt. As I was seating bullets, I noticed one that crushed the case a little. Humm... Well sometimes if there is too much friction as the bullet slides into the case it just happens. No big deal. Then another one and as I kept going but I noticed a ring on the top of one bullet. Hummm again.

I was loading 140 grain bullets. So I grabbed the calibers and did a double check. Yep, 2 cases had .308 150 grain bullets in them. Hard to believe because the only 150 grain bullets I have on hand are ballistic tips. Pretty obvious difference.

At least I caught the mistake. Oh yea, I did a double check of all rounds just to make sure.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default WOW...you really dodged a bullet on that one....

Really pays to pay attention.....

Default WoW! A mere .024" .....

You did good catching that one. Where did those bullets come from?

I had a friend who loaded twenty 270 Win. rounds and some of them were loaded with .284" bullets, he fired at least two of the 7mm bullets (140 grain) and locked up his old 721, no body hurt but it wrecked the extractor of the Remington. It can happen, we all need to keep a keen eye on things.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Hard to believe because the only 150 grain bullets I have on hand are ballistic tips.
    The .308's must have been boattails?

Good you caught it.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

In my profession “they” like to use the “Swiss cheese” analogy when something bad happens………….. Think of a brick of Swiss cheese and each slice is some sort of procedure, control, process measure etc. designed to mitigate risk. Now in your (our) case, you can think of a bullet diameter check as one such procedure or slice of cheese if you will. The fact that you noticed the ring on the bullet and bulged case is a process measurement and yet another slice of cheese……………. The obvious idea here is to avoid lining up all of the holes in the cheese and leaving a clear path for an accident or incident. Had you simply continued on with your re-loading thinking…….. well, that’s odd, but they will probably still shoot ok, and ignored all of the not so obvious warning signs, then at each step you would have lined up a slice of the cheese.

Remember with the “Swiss Cheese” analogy, all it takes is ONE slice to close the hole and prevent the accident. Obviously we like to have all the slices correctly orientated, but all it takes to save the day is ONE.

Thanks for sharing you experience on this one, as it is a good idea to remind ourselves that human beings are imperfect creatures that will make mistakes. Be it the guy running the machine in some warehouse that drops the bullets into the shipping box or the guy at his loading bench reaching into that box. Mistakes will happen and its up to us to catch them before they become an incident or accident.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Scarey stuff Dave but no real problem. If you were using the correct case (and I assume you were) there's no way you could have chambered a 308 in a 7mm and closed the bolt . You would have had to use your boot and by then you would have suspected something was not quite right .

So I need to stop boot kicking my bolt closed?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Good to know and consider

Since every rifle I handload for, is 7mm cal., except for a 30-30 and a 338, it would be hard for me to load the wrong bullets.

Therefore, my Boo, Boos, must needs be, confined to other areas.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I was working up 100 7mm-08 rounds today for an upcoming sheep hunt. As I was seating bullets, I noticed one that crushed the case a little. Humm... Well sometimes if there is too much friction as the bullet slides into the case it just happens. No big deal. Then another one and as I kept going but I noticed a ring on the top of one bullet. Hummm again.

I was loading 140 grain bullets. So I grabbed the calibers and did a double check. Yep, 2 cases had .308 150 grain bullets in them. Hard to believe because the only 150 grain bullets I have on hand are ballistic tips. Pretty obvious difference.

At least I caught the mistake. Oh yea, I did a double check of all rounds just to make sure.

I love to hear about happenings like this, when it happens to someone other than me..

It makes one aware of what can happen. I thought that I had seen it all. Nice to see I was wrong.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson