Thread: king fly's

Default king fly's

Could you guys please help me im not in the country right now i live in northpole and i would like to catch some chena kings anyone have any hints on flys to use. This site helped me land a nice chum last year thanks to the popsicle fly they reccomended once again thanks guys.

Default Swing by the shop

816 28th Ave Fairbanks. No strings I will give you some samples of what I use no charge I stop selling flies a long time ago. If you don't feel like swinging by the shop standard Bunny Flies in different colors size 2/0, 2 and 4 eyes on some not on others. Flash Flies, Fat Freddies, Green But Skunks all work.

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Hey Moose and other king flyfishers,
    I've been wondering about this topic for awhile as well and all threads so far aren't too indepth. SO, what colors work best, do you drift or swing em. I assume you want enough weight to get em down down down.

I've been working up some monster articulated purple, chartreuse green, pink and orange bunny leeches (not all together) to use on the Nushagak this year, I've tied some fat freddies as well. A fair amount of flashabou is involved in all them thus far. Is a four inch leech more than is needed? and what's the best way to get a fat freddie down? I've lead wrapped the hooks and will try a few with a barbell eye snuck in but any other tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Default Blue moose

Hey ill stop by some time in september thanks for the help i appricate it.

Default Lots of options

One of the biggest reason I stay away from a ton of details is each person has a reason to fish and or make what they feel is the best way. When I start out all of my classess I state one thing up front " There is No Wrong Way to Go About doing it" only more productive ways and easier ways to accomplish the task.

That being said I am a little "Old School" so keeping thing simple seems to me the best way to go. " To Much Cutting Edge Crap on the market to day" that is not needed to effectively fish with a Fly Rod for Salmon. I call it the seven steps to becoming poor and filling your storage space with gear you will not use!!!!!!!!

Ok I will stop rambling! Honest.

Colors that you listed work fine! You may also want to consider some of the Spey flies and or Tube Flies that are available for fishing Kings in that area. Rule of Thumb you have to be down and dirty to Fish effectively so weighting the fly is a must.

Some lean toward graining out their lines i.e. sinking but unless your fishing consistly below 6ft and in extremely fast water IMO it is a waste.

Stick to the Standard WFF lines and shortern your leader to match the water depth starting at 8ft in length.

For bigger fish do not use Braided Loop Leaders or Connecters stay with standard Nail knots to attach your leaders to the Fly Line.

If you find your-self fishing Kings up high in Water under 4ft in length the game changes a little and you can just High Stick i.e. dead Drift with a 5ft Leader while sight fishing.

So to wrap up a couple of your questions:

Yes Weighted Flies the method varies I use a lot of bar-bell eyes on my bunny flies!!!!!!!

Flash Flies and Fat Freddies I stick to wrapping lead sometimes double when the river I am fishing water that calls for it i.e Heavy Deeper water. If I am not weighted enough on my pre-tied flies I use Split shot to getter-done.

Hook Size if no restriction 2/0 - and 2 unless I know I am fishing pocket water or glides under 4ft in depth in clear water than I go down to size 4 hooks extra stout short shank and normally go to purple or black in color i.e. Green Butt Skunk.

Swing or Dead Drift - Dead Drift 90 percent of the time I like to fish smaller waters whenever possible. If you are fihsing Big Water you will find the Swing Method is just about the only way you can fish. So Swing and Strip, Swing and Strip.

Concerning the overall size of the fly it depends 4 inches in total length will not hurt you on Big Water......

Don't mind the spelling and grammer errors I am noted for them! An Education is a great thing however I did not receive one according to my parents.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes! Please feel free to chime in folk's there are lots of options!

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com

That'll Do Moose,

Thanks for the tips, I'll get back to you folks on what did/didn't work when I'm back in town in July.

Default moose

hey blue moose, your in fbks right? me and my buddies always throw down and go out with a couple guides atleast 3 times a summer... always good to hear everybodys angles and its always worth the money!! when do rainbows and dollies peak up there? i usually fish south of anch and sometimes over on kodiak. ive always been interested in traveling north. please reply!

Default Yes Sir in F.B.

No Bows unless your lake fishing some Dollie fishing but small fish North of Cantwell and South of Livengood places like Windy Creek, Bear Creek, some sloughs off the Nenana.

We chase Bows on the Gulkana and along the Parks Systems. Gulkana Bows start during Smolt out just about now through freeze up! Norhtern Most Steelie Run in AK as well. Peak fishing IMO on the Gulkana for Bows Late July through Mid Sept. 2nd Run of Reds in Late July mid August gets things cooking on the Upper Gulkana. Bottom Line just about the same as fishing the Parks System concerning timing. Bang for your buck and easiest logsitically even if your accomplishing your own float i.e. Road to Road. Some fish ranging 30 inches however not as common as you would find on the K.Pen.

Parks fishing starts on the Middle Fork of the Chulitna all the way down to the Valley. Missed the first good fishing will have to wait until July - August to catch the Egg Drop on the system now.

So Skip the Dollie fishing concentrait on the Bows unless you fishing of the Big Su and hitting Clear Creek, or the Indian in July through Oct.

Hope the info helps! Everyone please forgive me for mentioning the Steelies!

Blue Moose
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Red face oopsie

Just saw your post (AFTER) i just posted a similar question. I just bought a 9wt set up and need recommendations for King Flys. Guess you could read my post,and I'll read your thread..lol